Everything Good Starts With a Party

One Day

There was a medium at the party he was not particularly enjoying. He didn't really know the host, but his friends were trying to set him up with a girl at the party. She hadn't shown up yet, but Seung Hyun did not have high hopes for the encounter. It seemed whenever he met a girl, she was a fan or an anti-fan of his group Big Bang.  The fans annoyed him, the anti-fans were disgusted with him. So, although Dara said she was perfect for him, he had his doubts. He was sipping a glass of shiraz that was little better than the grapes it came from and sitting in a deck chair on the balcony when Jiyong came and sat next to him. Jiyong sipped on his whiskey and Seunghyun sloshed his wine a bit in the glass as they sat in companionable silence, listening to the sounds of the riotous party behind them.  Jiyong finally spoke after a few minutes. "I know you've been kind of depressed about your dating prospects lately."

Seunghyun said nothing, simply staring into his wineglass as he avoided 's good-natured gaze. "Dara thinks that her friend is just perfect for you though. They met overseas so maybe she has no idea who or what you are." Jiyong expounded.

Seunghyun just sighed and looked at the view of Seoul from the balcony. He knew he was pouting at Jiyong's topic of conversation, but really had nothing to say about it. Jiyong also sighed, "Look, if you're that pessimistic about the meeting, why don't you ask that fortuneteller in the dining room? She might be able to see if this girl is the real deal."

Jiyong chuckled at his lame joke while Seunghyun looked at him sharply.  "You can't just stay out here all night. Dara will get pissed off at you." Jiyong said, standing up and tugging on Seunghyun's arm. "Come on. Let's go see the fortuneteller. She's supposed to be really good."

Reluctantly, Seunghyun stood up with Jiyong and walked back inside. Jiyong tugged him toward the makeshift curtain over the dining room doorway. Seunghyun stumbled a bit as Jiyong pushed him through. Inside the dining room it was darker than the party in the rest of the house. Only a few candles were lit. Seunghyun looked around briefly before his eyes alighted on the dark figure seated at the dining table. The person was completely covered in an opaque black veil. Seunghyun could not even tell if the person was male or female or what the age was, so completely the person was covered. Seunghyun shifted from foot to foot uncomfortably. Finally a creaky, dusty voice said." Please, sit down."

Seunghyun cautiously sat at the opposite end of the table. The grating voice said, "Your heart is lonely and yearns for it's other half."

Surprised and suddenly rendered mute, Seunghyun simply nodded. A sepulchral chuckle floated out from beneath the veil. "I may be able to help you with that." the creaky voice said. "If you could visit any day of your life, future or past, when would you like to see?"

Thinking this was such a bizarre question, Seunghyun said "My fortieth birthday. I would hope to meet the love of my life by then."

The seplchral chuckle again emanated from the dark figure. The candle lights were dimming and, alarmed, Seunghyun stood up from his chair. The laughter got louder as the candles suddenly snuffed out and Seunghyun was enveloped by a silent darkness. 

 

There was a small pinpoint of light suddenly appearing in front of him.  As he perceived it, he started to walk toward it. As it progressively grew, his feet picked up the pace until he was running full tilt toward the light. Between one step and the next there was a bright flash and he was standing in a street with a truck blowing its horn as it hurtled toward him. Yelping in fear and confusion, Seunghyun dove for the side of the road. The truck barely missed him as he rolled onto the sidewalk. Seunghyun lay on the cold sidewalk for a moment, not quite believing he was still alive.  After regaining his breath, he stood up and dusted himself off.  He looked around at his surroundings, trying to tell where he was.  Oddly, everything seemed really familiar. His eyes finally alit on a familiar landmark. It was the entrance of his street where he lived. His villa was just down the way and on the right. Seunghyun looked both ways before crossing the street and jogged up toward his villa. The night air was very chilly and he was only wearing a light jacket and linen pants with a short sleeved t shirt. It was odd that it was so cold since it was the middle of summer. Mentally shrugging, he thought he would just go inside and put on his flannel pajamas and robe and try to relax after this long, strange night. He walked up to his gate and typed in the security code. He reached into his pocket to shake a cigarette out of the pack when the gate swung open for him. He stuck the cigarette between his lips and fished around in his pants pocket for a lighter as he strolled up the walkway to his front door. He unlocked the deadbolt with his key and typed in the separate code to open the front door.  He on the cigarette and took a few quick puffs as he stepped into the darkened room. He toed off his shoes as he slapped on a few of the interior lights. He went to grab a pair of house slippers when he saw the very feminine black pumps next to a pair of running shoes near the door. Perhaps his sister had come over? But why wouldn't she have called him to tell him?