What Is This Feeling?

Wicked

[Hoya POV]

The next day, I’m sitting in that coffee shop. The girl in the counter is still wearing that gloomy expression. I don’t get it why the manager hired her when she can’t even smile to the customer. I sip into my coffee while ‘pretending’ to work on my assignment. The girl looks like getting ready to off from the shift. She put off her apron and let her hair down. She greets some of her friend and the manager with an awkward smile before finally leave the coffee shop. Wait? Should I follow her? Isn’t it strange? I’m not a stalker.

“Excuse me?” I finally said when I run to her outside the coffee shop.

“What?” She turns around and looked at me coldly.

“Ah, you don’t remember me?”

“I do. You’re the customer.”

“Yeah.”

“What do you want?” She asked bluntly.

“Umm…I watched you yesterday.”

“Me?”

“Yeah, at the Sejong Center. Musical Rehearsal.”

“Oh, I was just substituting for the original actress.” She said awkwardly.

“You sang I Dream A Dream. You were amazing.”

“Thank you. Yeah, it was Les Miserables rehearsal for next week performance. Anyway, nice to meet you, but I have to go somewhere. I’m gonna be late…”

“Where are you going?” I’m surprised with my own word. Crap! She must be thinking I’m so annoying.

“I don’t think it’s your business.” Right! Now she thinks I’m a jerk.

“I’m sorry…I’m just, Oh…I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Sorry.”

“I’m going to musical practice.” She said.

“Really? Can I go with you? Can I watch your practice?” What did I say again? I can't even control my mouth.

“What?”

“Oh…I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be rude. I know, you must be think I'm weird. Umm…sorry. Have a nice day.” I walks away to avoid her glares. Ah, it's embarrassing!  I don’t know what’s wrong with me, but I can’t control my self in front of her. Something’s wrong…it’s like I become so curious about her.

“You know what, maybe you can come.” I hear her voice.

I’m so surprised after hear that. I turn around and find her standing there looking at me. Still with her cold face.

“Really?” I smile.

21 minutes later we arrived to her practice hall. It’s around her campus. I sit in the back of the room, looking at her who’s now practicing vocal. I don’t know why but when she’s in the stage her eyes are different. Looks like she becomes a different person.

She’s singing “Over The Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz beautifully. It’s mesmerizing. I can see that she is one of the best actresses in this whole musical group. Later, they started practicing the dance movement. She’s so good at both singing and dancing.

The practice over after about an hour and a half. People leave the practice hall one by one. Finally she’s the only one who’s left…with me of course.

“Why did you want to see us practice?” She asked while taking a bottle of water from her bag.

“I don’t know. I just saw you in the rehearsal yesterday and suddenly I wanna know more….” About you.

“Do you like musical?”

“Yeah, my mom was also a musical actress in college.” I said. I remember the way my mom used to sing me “Sixteen Going on Seventeen” because The Sound of Music was her favorite musical.

“Is she still doing musical?”

“She passed away 5 years ago.” I said calmly.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” She looks at me. Now with a warmer expression.

“It’s okay…anyway, you’re amazing. I really wanna see musical performance after watching you sang I Dream A Dream yesterday.”

“Aniyo…I'm not that good. It’s just a good song that I sang. Everyone loves that song.”

“But it’s a sad song.” I said.

“Yeah, a sad song for a tragic heroine life.” Her eyes wondering through the hall ceiling. Her expression back to become cold again.

“Do you have such a sad experience?”

“No…not me.” She smiles mysteriously. From the way she acts and talks, I can see that she’s such a tough person. She’s different from any other girl that I ever met.

“I’m Lee Howon by the way. But you can call me Hoya.” I said while gives her a hand to shake. But she just gives me a scoff.

“How old are you?” She asked while smirking at me.

“I’m 21.”

“I’m sorry I don’t mean to be rude, but I’ve been nice to you because you are such a cute young boy. But I’m older than you, so there’s no way you can flirt on me.” She chuckles.

“Am I flirting on you? I don’t think so. I mean you’re beautiful but…I was just…enjoying your musical performance. That’s it.”

Of course I lied.

“Really?” She asked with disbelief expressions. I nod.

“Okay. I’m Yoo Ahra. And I’m a year older than you. So, behave…” Yoo Ahra, beautiful name. I smile as I’m watching her standing and walks to the corner of the room. She glances at me while picking up her stuff and clean up a little bit, because she’s the last one that still in the practice room. Ah, so she’s a noona.

Suddenly, I feel like a hammer hit my head. My vision got blurry and I feel dizzy. I fall on the floor. No, not again…please...

[No One POV]

Brukk! Suddenly his body hits the floor. She’s looking at him in shocked. He’s on the floor trying to fight the dizziness in his head that become intolerable. His body’s trembling and his vision gets blurry.

“Ya! You’re okay?” She shakes his shoulder in panic.

“I’m fine.” He said weakly.

“How can you say that you’re fine? You’re so pale. Are you sick? God, you’re feverish.”

“No I’m just…Urgh!” He’s trembling.

“Ya! Hang on, I’ll call the ambulance.”

“No, it’s okay…my bag. Please…”

“Bag?” She desperately takes the backpack behind him and opening the zipper.

“The blue pack.” He said.

“This one?” She finds a blue pack inside the bag. He’s nodded while taking the pack. There’s an injection pack inside it. He takes one needle and injects it to his left hand. She looked at him in worry.

“Yah! Isn’t it hurt? You’re okay?”

“Gwenchana…I’ll get better. It happens a lot.” He sighs. Trying to breath properly.

“What is that? Are you sick? Is it serious disease?”

“I’m diabetes. I forgot to inject insulin this morning.” He smiles weakly. 

“Oh my God…Don’t you think you should go to hospital?”

“I’ll be okay. I just need a little bit rest.”

“There’s an infirmary downstairs. Let’s go there! Maybe you can rest a bit.”

Two minutes later they arrived in the infirmary. Hoya resting in a bed trying to fight with his headache while Ahra just walking around in panic.

“I’m gonna make you some tea.” She said while walking to the infimary's kitchen.

“I’m ok…” He’s muttering.

“Hey, behave…okay... Stay there!” She gives her a glare. Hoya doesn’t have any choice but to obey. She looks scary.

“Okay.” Two minutes later she comes back with a cup in her hand.

“Here drink it.” She helps him drinking the warm tea with lifting his head carefully so he doesn’t choke.

“How are you feeling?”

“Better. Thanks to you.” Hoya smiles.

“Call your parents…They maybe worries of you.”

“Nah…it’s okay. I just need to lay down a few minutes.”

“Argh, such a stone head.” She looks so frustrated.

Finally Ahra just letting him lies down while she sits beside the bed. Hoya closes his eyes, trying to get some sleep. But he can’t. He doesn’t wanna sleep. He wants to talk to her.

“Since when you’re doing musical?” Hoya asked while opening his eyes.

“Just sleep. Don’t talk.” 

“I’m not sleepy. Since when?” He said making her sighs.

“Since I was 8.”

“Wow, that’s cool. As expected from KNUA student.”

“Are you in college too?” She asked while sits on the chair near the bed.

“Hmm…I’m in my second year in Sogang.” 

“What major?”

“Business.”

“Wow, fancy. I thought you’re not the type who loves math and economic books.” She smiles. A warm smile.

“I’m not.”

“Then why you take Business?”

“Because I didn’t know what I wanna do. I didn’t know what should I choose, then my dad and brother suggest me take Business.” Hoya stares at her. The latter just smirks with a blank eyes.

“Isn’t a pity? Don’t you really know what do you wanna do?”

“No. That’s why I envy people like you.” Hoya looks above. His eyes stares at the infimary's lamp.

“Me?”

“Yeah, people who know exactly what they’re doing and doing it with passion.” He said honestly.

She just smiles and doesn’t say anything. This guy is so naïve and pure, she thought. Suddenly Hoya notices there’s something in Ahra left wrist. It’s a mark.

“Is that a tattoo?” 

“Yeah.” Ahra looks at her left wrist.

“What is that say? “Oz”?  You like witch story?” Hoya asked curiously.

“So much. I like The Wizard of Oz, Sabrina, Tolkien’s, even Harry Potter and….Wicked.” She said while tracing the tattoo mark.

“Wicked? The story about the green Witch?” Hoya remembers saw that in her mom's old collection.

“Yeah, Elphaba.” She smirks.

“So “Wicked” is your favorite musical?”

“Yeah.” She said while keeps staring at her tattoo.

“Why?”

“Because I’m wicked in many ways.”

She said that with a mysterious expression. I don’t understand what she said, because in my eyes she’s just beautiful…and sad but not wicked. I don’t know what’s hidden behind that smile. But that smile gave me a strange feeling. Like a scary black hole that pull me closer in to it. The thing is, I’m not scared…I let my self being pulled into. I wonder… What is this feeling?

Like a comet pulled from orbit

Like a handprint on my heart. 

And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine