I'm Not That Girl

Wicked

A month since their first meeting. Now Hoya has been spent a lot of time with Ahra. Sometimes watching her musical practice, auditions, performance or sometimes just sits and talks in the coffee shop where she works. From those conversations, Hoya finds out more about her. Ahra told her about her life story. Turns out she really has a sad story. Her parents died when she was only two and Ahra lived in the foster home before finally she’s adopted by a Japanese-British couple when she was 10. They brought her to Japanese and live there for two years. When Ahra was 12, they moved to England and she lived in Liverpool until she graduates from high school. 3 years ago Ahra decide to go back to Korea and attend college here.

Now Hoya knows why she always has that cold face. She’s been doing everything alone all this time. You’re heart grows cold when you’re alone. Till now, she’s still wearing that cold expressions but the weird thing is…Hoya find it more charming. Maybe because it’s the first time in his life he meets such a person.

“Why Hoya?” She asked while sipping her coffee. They’re sitting in the corner table near the window. It’s her break time.

“Hmm?”

“Why people called you Hoya? Not Howon.”

“Ah…Hoya is my childhood name. My mom used to call me that way. And people start following that. Now it’s become nickname.”

“Oh…”

“What about you? You don’t have any nickname? Or childhood name maybe?” He asked curiously.

“Ellie.” She said calmly.

“Ellie?”

“People used to call me that way when I was in Liverpool. My foster parents give me that name. But I rarely use that. My official name is still my Korean name.”

“That’s beautiful.” Hoya smiles.

“Why do you speak so informally to me? Have I told you that I’m older than you?” She looked pissed.

“Yeah. A year older.” Hoya chuckles.

“Exactly. Still older.”

Hoya just smiles. He doesn’t want to speak formally to her. Because he want her to look him as a friend and a man. Not a younger boy who has a crush to a girl that older than him.

“Anyway. Do you like orchestra?” Hoya tries to change the topic.

“Why? You want to ask me to accompany you watching concert? Saying that you have an extra ticket?” Crap! How can she now? Is she a mind reader?

“Ah…I..I’m…well, I do have an extra ticket...” Hoya’s stuttering.

“Forget it. I’m busy at Saturday.”

“How do you know that it’s on Saturday?” Maybe she’s indeed a mind reader.

“It’s Rhapsody in Blue, right? I see the banner in the concert hall in Sejong Center.”

“Wah, you’re smart. If you’re not gonna be a musical actress maybe you can be a detective.”

“You gotta be kidding me.” She scoffed.

“Seriously. I never met someone like you.” Hoya looked at her with such a deep gaze.

“Someone like me?” She smirks.

“Hmm…You. Beautiful, cold, tough, smart, extremely honest.”

“You don’t know me.” Again she said with her cold face.

“Why? Is that thing that I mention above is not your character?”

“Not that way. You don’t know me. I’m not that girl.” She said while giving Hoya a cold gaze.

[Ahra POV]

Saturday, 15.30 PM.

I walk slowly bringing a bucket of white roses in my hand. It’s a cold afternoon. I can feel a gentle breeze creep into my black coat while I’m walking. I arrived in front of the grave. I put the flower in front of it while giving a loving smile.

“Hello, mom. How are you?”

I stood still in there for about 10 minutes. It’s a silence 10 minutes. But later I hear a footstep that break the silence behind me.

“It’s been a while…Myungsoo.” I said without turning around. I know it’s him.

A man behind me smiles and walks forward, placing a white rose in the grave, then standing beside me.

“Yeah…it’s been a long time. I thought you’ve forgot to come here.”

“How can I forget?”

“She’s been gone for a long time.” Myungsoo smiles.

“Yeah, 10 years.”

“How are you doing now?”

“I’m doing what I’m supposed to do.” I said.

“Still go with the plan?”

“Yeah, I just catch bait. A powerful instrument to reach that destination.”

“Good. But still you have to be careful. I’ve told you it’s a one way journey. Once you’ve decide to go, you can never go back.”

“I know. I will never go back. Not before I gave them what they deserve.” I said with a full determination.

“One thing… Don’t let your heart get in the way. You’re smart enough to avoid that tricks.”

“I am.” I said while looking at my mom’s grave in front of me.

 

"In that deep forest there are a lot of mysteries.

Including a dark and hollow cave behind the oak tree.

And in that cave there lived a wicked old witch.

Did she ever some out?

Not yet.

But she will.  Soon."