For Good

Wicked

Siwon took a machine from Hoya’s drawer while the latter is just lying on his bed.

“You know, you don’t have to do that, hyung. I can do it myself.” Hoya said when Siwon put the measurer on him. It’s blood sugar measurement. Hoya has to do it every night before he goes to bed and every morning after he wakes up.

“Let me do it. It’s not like I can take care of you every day.” Siwon ignored his brother.

“You’re staying here?”

“Yeah, for a while. I guess I miss this house. Yoon Ahjumma can take care of my apartment.”

“It’s good having you here.” Hoya smiles.

“I know. Hey, you’re blood sugar is so low. You’re feeling okay?” Siwon looks at Hoya in worry.

“Really? I’m fine.”

“You’re not doing something stupid, right? You know you can’t be tired.”

“I know. For The Godsake I’m 21, hyung. “ Hoya scoffed.

“Yeah? But I can see you’re playing around a lot lately. Just like dad said.” The older man teasing again.

“What? I told you I’m just meeting some friends.”

“Hoaegi, be honest with me. I’m your hyung… Do you have someone that you like?”

“I guess.” Hoya said shyly.

“See? I knew it!” Siwon jumps to the bed.

“Hyung, you’re overreacting.”

“Who is it?” He asked curiously.

“Someone that I just know a while ago. She’s a musical student in KNUA. Her name is Yoo Ahra.”

“Wow…beautiful name. What’s she like?”

“She’s beautiful and smart and charming. I don’t know, I still trying to get closer to her.” Hoya smiles and somehow his face is blushing.

“Wah, my brother has grown up now.”

“Shut up! I’m sleepy…” Hoya said while pulling the blanket over his body. He closes her eyes and fall asleep instantly. Siwon looks at his brother sleeping face. Hoya used to have such an innocence face. Siwon can see that he’s grown up now. Hoya may look rough and tough. But actually he just an innocence boy with a pure smile and kind heart. Siwon remember the day when he and his dad told Hoya that he shouldn’t dance again after he was diagnosed. Hoya was just stood still and didn’t say anything. Siwon knows how Hoya loves dancing so much.  He remembers Hoya was smiling later and said, “I have such a bad luck, right Hyung?” He was smiling but tears falling from his eyes.

Siwon caressed Hoya’s forehead before stands up to leave the room. He treasures him a lot. That’s why Hoya can’t know, about what happen in their family in the past. Or what kind of cruel event that might happen to them later. Siwon turns off the light and close the door from outside. A few seconds later, he realizes a strange feeling.

Yoo Ahra? Have I heard that name before? I don’t think so. But why it feels familiar? I guess it’s just a feeling.

[Hoya POV]

Me           : Are you working?’

Ahra        : I’m just off from my shift. Going to practice now.

Me           : Ah…Sorry I can’t watch you today.

Ahra        : Really? Don’t be sorry. I’m glad you don’t come. It’s bothersome.

Me           : Geez…You hate me that much?

Ahra        : You just know? Anyway why you don’t come? You busy at school?

Me           : No, I’m not going to school today either.

Ahra        : Why?

Me           : I’m not feeling well.

Ahra        : Are you sick or something?

Me           : Just usual stuffs. It’s happen a lot.

Ahra        : Wait, it can’t be because you’re dancing yesterday, right?

Me           : Of course not. It’s just…my school is killing me with assignment.

Ahra        : It’s odd to say, but…get well soon.

Me           : I will. Do well in your practice.

“Who are you texting?” I hear a voice from my door.

“Friend.”

“That girl…Ummm…Ahra, right?” My brother shows up with a cup of warm drink.

“Yeah.”

“How are you feeling? Still dizzy?” He sits beside my bed.

“No…not again. I feel better.” 

My bother help me wakes up and sits in the bed. Today I woke up with severe headache and Siwon hyung find me almost passed out in my room. It’s been a while since I get this attack. It happens a lot back then and that was worse. Now it’s only happen if I’m tired or stressed.

“Here, drink it. If you’re not getting better tonight, I’ll bring you to hospital.” He gives me a cup of tea.

“Hyung…” I look at him with a pleading face. I really don't like hospital. I've spent enough time there.

“It’s not a discussion Howonnie.” 

“Arasso, I’ll get better in a while. You know it’s happen a lot. It’s not like I’m dying or something.” I chuckle before drinking my tea.

“Stone head.” My brother ruffled my hair.

“Did dad know about it?”

“Of course he knows. I called him this morning. He’s so worry about you.”

“You shouldn’t call him. It’s not that bad.” I said. My dad is in Japan for business trip. I’m lucky enough, because if he’s here I’m sure he will ground me in hospital bed for days.

“Hyung can you help me, put it on the player.” I take the CD from the drawer beside my bed.

“You want to watch movie?”

“It’s not a movie. It’s a musical performance.”

“What musical?”

“Best performance from Annual Fest. Ahra give me these yesterday. It’s amazing because it’s a compilation from 70s performance to the newest one. She’s in one of them.”

“Woh, deabak…” My brother said. He knows a lot of thing about musical too.

“There she is. Isn’t she lovely?” I pointed at the girl who sings Over The Rainbow in the stage.

“Yeah, pretty…Isn’t it Oz?”

“Hmm…she loves witch story. Which is makes her weird. Umm…let see older performances. Woah, it’s from 1981?” I said while clicking the remote control.

I played it. It was an old performance; I can see that from the video’s quality. But it’s beautiful. A girl who become the lead actress is beautiful and enchanting. I guess its Les Miserables musical. That girl singing “I Dreamed A Dream”. Somehow it reminds me at the first day I met Ahra.

[Siwon POV]

It was a cool compilation. As expected fromAnnual Fest, the biggest art performance tradition in Korea. The girl that Hoya likes is beautiful. Sure, he has a good taste. But suddenly I startled when Hoya starts to play some older performances. 1981. Les Miserables. I Dreamed A Dream. I’m spacing out when I see the girl who sings in the stage.

It was that girl. The one in the photograph. With dad. Han Yi Soo. What is it? Is it just coincidence? How can it be?

I stands up while Hoya still watching the performance. I clear my throat; try to release the trembling feeling.

“It’s cool. Did Ahra really give you this CD?” I asked while my eyes keep staring at the screen.

“Yeah. She got two copies. That’s why she gave me one.”

“I’m going downstairs. I need to make some phone call. Rest well, okay.” 

I walk to the living room with a mixed feeling. I don’t want to intervene in my brother private life, Howon is already 21. But I can’t deny this weird feeling. I take my phone and called someone. Howonnie, I’m sorry…this is for your best.

“Sunggyu…this is me. I need a favor. I want you to check someone for me. Her name is Yoo Ahra. Currently a student at Musical Department in Korean National University of Arts. Check about her family history, her study records, her affiliates and all her background story. Call me if you done.”

 A few second later Mrs.Kang, our house keeper comes to me while bringing me a box. Again. A mysterious packet.

“This one comes this morning, Master.”

I stare at the box. It’s bigger than the previous.  I’ve been asked Sunggyu to track the address of the previous box sender, but it has no result. He said, the address is not even exists. I’m worry that this second box is containing another bad stuff from our family’s past.

I open the box carefully. There’s a latest copy of Finance Week, a popular business magazine. I wonder what is it means? But inside the magazine, there’s a card. Again, a tarot card.

Justice. The figure of Justice sits in her chair, cloaked in red and holding a sword in her right hand and scales in her left. She wears a crown with a small square.

The Justice card represents justice, fairness, truth and the law. As an outcome, the Justice card indicates that the fairest decision will be made. You are being called to account for your actions and be judged accordingly.

[No One POV]

Ahra sitting in her study desk in front of her laptop. She’s smiling wickedly. The wooden box in front of her is opened. She traces a tarot box inside it and playing with those cards. A phone call comes.

“Everything’s ready.” Ahra said.

“Good. When will it happen?”

“As soon as I hit the ‘Enter’ button.”

She smiles while her fingers playing around in her laptop’s keyboard.

" When the system fails us, we must go out and seek our own justice."