No Good Deed

Wicked

“Howon spent a lot of time outside lately?” Hoya’s father said.

“Really, what are you doing outside?” Siwon asked to Hoya while taking a sip of his coffee. This morning Hoya and his family have a breakfast. His brother joins them this time.

“Nothing. I just have some new friends.” Hoya said while eating his pancake.

“Friends? I thought Sungyeol is you only friend.”

“You gotta be kidding me, Hyung. That guy has been dodging me for days because he’s too busy with his girlfriends.”

“What about you? Don’t you try to get a girl too?” Siwon teases him.

“What are you talking about?” Hoya looks at is brother with annoyed face.

“You said yourself. You’re a college boy now. Not a baby.”

“Dad, please…do something about him.” Hoya turns a look to his dad.

“Your hyung is right, Howonnie.” His father answered with smile.

“Oh…not you too. Okay, I’m going to school.” Hoya said after finishing his breakfast. He takes her bag and walks to the door.

“Meeting your girlfriend in this early morning?” Siwon teases him again. His father is laughing.

“Hyung, stop it! I’m going… bye!” He waves his hand, leaving his dad and brother smiling. He’s such an adorable kid. Siwon stares at his brother’s figure that now fades. He still can’t believe that his baby little brother is already 21 years old.

Suddenly the maid comes to the dining room, bringing a small packet box.

“Excuse me, Mr.Lee. This packet just come a while ago. They said it’s urgent.”

“Okay, leave it there.”

Mr.Lee look at the box carefully. There’s a strange feeling coming from that packet. Siwon stares at his dad.

“Did you order something, Dad?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Then what is it?” Siwon asked while Mr.Lee starts to open the box. There are some layers inside the box. At the end there is an old photograph appear. It’s a photograph of a young man and a young woman. They’re smiling and holding hands. Looks like they’re a couple. Mr.Lee’s hands trembling when he holds the photograph.

“Dad? Could it be?” Siwon looked at his dad in worry.

Mr. Lee looks at the back of the photograph. There’s something written on it.

12 January 1975. Lee Jaewon and Han Yi Soo. Forever.

Mr.Lee just sighs and gives a bitter face to his son.

Today is her birthday. That little girl.” He said while starring at the photograph.

Siwon takes the box and checks it. There’s something underneath the box. It’s a card. A tarot card. A group of humans (man, woman, and child) with gray skin stand, arms spread, looking up at the angel in awe. The people are apparently emerging from crypts or graves. Siwon knows that card. It’s called Judgement.

The Judgement card calls for a period of reflection and self-evaluation of your past life. Judgement tells you that you are close to reaching a significant stage in your own journey.

[Hoya POV]

I’m watching her musical practice again. This time I don’t even ask for her permission. I just come to the hall and watching her from the backseat. She’s charming as usual. Spinning around and sing along with all the cast. I don’t know why she can be so different on stage. She’s become shinny and lively, not like her usual cold personality.

“You come again. Without warning.” She said after the practice done.

“I am.”

“Have I told you? I’m not interest in you. My friends already think that you’re my boyfriend because you always come to our practice to see me. You know, I hate rumors.” She said while taking a bottle of water.

“Really? I hate rumors too. But just this time I like it.” I smile.

“Greasy little kid. Come back when you're grown up.”

“Why do you always be the one who leaves the hall last?” I ignored her nagging.

“I don’t know. I just like to stay here longer.”

“Can I come to the stage?” I asked.

“Yeah, put off your shoes first.” She said. I take off my shoes and walk to the stages. It's a wooden floor with a lot of lightning in the front. I can imagine the audience staring and screaming to every performance and it's just an amazing feeling.

“Wow…it’s amazing. What musical that you guys practicing these days?”

“Grease. It’s more happy stories. I’m sure you now it from the movie version.”

“Yeah, I watched the movie. Young romances. Good songs. Olivia Newton- John.”

“Yep, and a lot of dancing moves.” She scoffs.

“Show me the moves.” I asked her.

“In your dream.” She smirks at me.

“Come on, I wanna try.” I beg her like a little kid. She looks at me with a disbelief expression.

“Okay, follow me. The song is called “You’re The One That I Want.” The move is like this.” Finally she teach me the moves of the song. I follow her.

“Like this?” I show the moves that see just do.

“Yeah…wow you’re good.” She looks surprised. I just chuckle.

“I think I’ve seen it on the movies.”

“Have you danced before? You’re move is too good.” She asked while staring at me from head to toe.

“A while. When I was a junior in high school. I was pretty good at dancing.” I said. I stare at the ceiling with wandering eyes. Yeah, it was my glory days...

“Really?”

“Yeah, I was entering D-Fest back then. With some of my friends.” I can see she's surprised more.

“That’s mean you’re good. Why did you stop dancing?”

“Because I was diagnosed with diabetes. My poor health. Actually, I think I was fine as long as I watch my diet and medication. But my dad and brother just forbid me because of they’re extremely worry.” I said flatly. She just looks at me with unreadable expression.

“Looks like you’re such a baby boy.” 

“No, I’m not.”

“Whatever…stop dancing. I don’t want you to faint again. It’s troublesome.” She teases me.

“What? I’m fine. Come on…show me another move.”

She smiles. She must be thinks that I’m ridiculous. I don’t care. It’s the first time I dance after the years. I suddenly realize that I missed dancing. If I don’t get this poor health issues maybe I’m not gonna studying Business. Maybe I’ll go to dancing school instead. Maybe I will do something that I really love.

[No One POV]

“You know, you don’t have to walk me home like this.” She said. He’s just smiling. He wants to know where she lives, that’s why he insisted to walks her home.

“It’s not good for a girl to walk home alone at this hour. Beside you’re pretty enough to be kidnapped.”

“Kidnapped? Yeah, only if I don’t beat up the kidnapper to death first.” She scoffed.

“You’re scary.”

“I’m not. I’m just a girl who happens to have a black belt in karate.” 

Hoya laughs. Looks like there’s no reason to kidnap her. She’s indeed a scary girl.

“You know there’s an open audition for “Wicked” musical for New Year Performance. I saw the banner yesterday.”

“I know.” She said cooly.

“Won’t you try?” 

“I don’t know.” 

“Why?” Hoya asked curiously.

“It’s a professional musical. Not just a college level. There will be a lot of pro actresses for the auditions. I’m not a pro. I’m still a student.”

“But you’re good.”

“Being good isn’t always good enough.”

“What’s wrong with trying? You said you wanna play Elphaba.” Hoya urged her.

“I’ll think about that later. Anyway, it’s here. I live here.” They're arrived in front of a small house with white paint. There's a small garden in front of the house fill with white roses. It's a beautiful house.

“Ah, so you live here…” Hoya said while looking at the house with smile.

“Now just go home…”

“You don’t want to invite me in? It’s cold outside.” He teases her.

“Nope. I’m not inviting random guy to my house.”

“So I’m just a random guy to you?” He asked.

“Yeah, we just know a while ago. Besides you behave so randomly.” She smirks.

“I’m what?”

“Anyway…I think you should have this.” She takes something from her bag.

“What is this?” Hoya takes a CD that she gives her.

“Call it a thank you gift, for sending me home.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, it’s a compilation of best performances of Annual Fest students musical. It’s from 70s to recently. I’m in one of them.”

“Daebak! You give it to me?” Hoya looks at the CD in awe.

“Yeah...I have two CD.”

“Wow…”

“Now, go home… Your dad and brother must be worry about their baby boy.” She said.

She smirks as she walks inside and closes the door. Hoya just smiles. At least now he knows where she lives.

[Ahra POV]

I enter my house while taking off my shoes. It’s dark and cold. I turn on the light and walk to the window. I saw that boy walking from my house with smile. Such a naïve boy. I walk to my room upstairs. I’m taking off my coat as I walk to the drawer near the bed. There’s a wooden box inside the drawer. I took the box and open it. Bunch of photographs, letters and a lot of stuffs in there. Between them there’s a pack of tarot card. I smile while taking out the cards. Suddenly my phone buzzes. Someone’s calling.

“Yes? I’ve sent the warning this morning.”

“Good. What’s next?”

“Bigger revelations. It’s just the beginning.” I said while taking out a card. The next card.

A while later I walk to the kitchen, taking something from my fridge. A small cake. I place that cake in my dinning room table and places a candle on it. I lit the candle and stare to the flame blankly. The small fire in the candle just light up so warm and beautiful. Later, I smile and whisper.

“Happy, birthday…Elizabeth.” 

I blow the candle. And the fire is gone.

And it's become cold again. Her eyes. Her soul. Her heart.