A Sentimental Man

Wicked

A girl with a long black hair sits in a dark room. In front of her there's a wooden box. It's locked. But on the top of that box, theres a single card. A tarot card. She takes the card and stares at it coldy. She's smiling. It is a perfect card.

The Three of Swords.

The picture of a heart, suspended in the air, is pierced by three swords. The heart is symbolic of emotion and beauty, while the piercing swords reflect the ability of logic and power to harm the physical body and the emotions of a person. The sky is heavily clouded and rain pours down violently, representing a grim moment in time.

The Three of Swords represents rejection, sadness, loneliness, heartbreak, betrayal, separation and grief. Such events feel so painful because they are unexpected. And it is a warning sign.

[At the same time - No one POV]

It’s a warm morning in spring. Hoya looks at the reflection of himself in the mirror. He looks perfect in that blue T-shirt. But deep inside he’s just a young and positive thinker college boy who doesn’t have many experiences. Far from perfect. He sighs at his reflection. He takes his bag and heading downstairs to the dining room for breakfast.

“Good morning.” He sits around the table with his Dad who greets him with smile.

“Morning, son.”

“Appa, you’re going to company?”

Hoya takes a waffle while the maid pours a cup of coffee for him.

“Yeah, you wanna came with me?”

“I want to. But I have a test today.”

“Really? Is that the reason why you slept so late last night?”

“I have no choice. It’s Financial Analysis. The lecturer is killer. Last year student mostly got C or D.”

“I know. But please take care…it’s not good to sleep late. Do you eaten well lately?”

“Yeah, I’m doing well. Oh! Crap! It’s almost 8, I gotta go Dad.”

Hoya drinks his coffee quickly the takes his backpack.

“Yoon-ahjussi can take you to school.”

“It’s okay. I still can catch the bus.” Hoya said while taking his bag.

“Hoya, don’t forget to take your-“

“Arasso, I got it. Bye appa!”

Hoya leaves his house soon and run to the bus station near his house. He’s lucky because the bus come at the moment he step his feet on the station. Even though his father's driver always offer to take him to school, Hoya always refuse. He prefers going by bus. Because at least he want to do simple thing like this by himself.

After the class everybody’s going crazy because of the Financial Analysis test, including Hoya. He just can’t figure it out anything about ratio on asset or equity in the financial report and its effect to stock price. It’s killing him! He doesn’t even know why he’s studying Business in College. Probably because his dad and brother suggested it. But it’s weird, her dad is CEO of a record company, one of the biggest one in the country and his brother is a conductor of a big orchestra company in Seoul. Why Hoya has to be a businessman? He should’ve studying music too.

“Are you daydreaming?”

Suddenly a tall guy appears in front of Hoya’s face. It’s Lee Sungyeol, the childish but playboy guy who also happen to be his best friend.

“You startled me. I’m not…daydreaming. I’m just thinking.”

“Come on, you over thinker. Stop thinking! Test is over…let’s go get some fresh air.”

Sungyeol grabs Hoya’s shoulder, making the latter just chuckles. Yeah, maybe he needs fresh air.

About 10 minutes later they are standing in front a coffee shop near the campus. Hoya looks at his best friend with a you-gotta-be-kidding-me look.

“This is your idea of fresh air?”

“Umm, yeah…coffee…Americano plus nice view. How refreshing!”

“I already drank coffee at home.” Hoya pouted.

“Me too. I just wanna drink again.”

“Lee Sungyeol, you’re such an addict.”

Sungyeol drags him to the coffee shop forcefully. Hoya follows him to the counter when a girl in a green apron greets them half-heartedly.

“One Iced Americano Large, please…”

“Anything else?” The girl asks with a cold and unwelcome expressions.

“Hey, you what do you want?” Sungyeol asked to Hoya.

“I don’t want coffee, is there anything else that doesn’t contains caffeine?” Hoya asked to that girl.

“Green Tea, Milk Iced Tea, Frappucino, Juices and Milkshake. Which one?” She asked coldly.

“Ummm…one Green Tea please…”

“It’s 6600 Won in total. Please wait for your order. Thank you.” Again, she talks coldly. A little bit odds as a barista.

A few minutes later they both sits near the window. Hoya can’t stop starring at the barista with the cold expressions. She’s beautiful, but somehow gloomy. She has a strange aura. Hoya rarely comes to this coffee shop. I think it is the first time I saw her, he thought.

“Do you come here often?” He asked to Sungyeol.

“Yep, the coffee is good. And also there are many high school girls that come here at lunch time.” Sungyeol smirks.

“You e.” Hoya chuckles.

“Aniyo…not only high schools girls, but the barista who works part-time here are so pretty. Except that one.”

“The one in the counter?” Hoya asked while look at the girl with cold expression.

“Yeah, the one who tied her hair up. She always has that cold face. A little bit scary.....But I hear she’s so smart. She’s at Musical Department in Korea National University of Arts.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” Sungyeol said while sipping his Americano.

“Deabak…it’s prestigious college arts.”

“Yeah, but still…I think she’s scary.”

 

[Hoya POV]

I think she’s not. She’s beautiful…somehow. It’s weird, but I find it charming. Suddenly I got a phone call. It’s from my brother.

“Hyung?”

“Howonnie? Are you free?” My brother voice sounds happy.

“Yeah, I’m just getting coffee with Sungyeol. Where are you, hyung?”

“I’m in the venue. Practicing for next week. I was wondering maybe you want to see us. We can get lunch together later. My treat. You can bring Sungyeol if you want.”

“Wow, I’d love that. But maybe Sungyeol is too busy flirting with high school girls right now. I’ll come there soon, Hyung.”

“Okay.” He hangs up.

“Is that Siwon, hyung?”

“Yeah.”

“Why did you say that I was flirting with high school girl? I wasn’t …” Sungyeol complains.

“I’m just kidding okay. You wanna come with me? Hyung said will treat us lunch.”

“Ah, I gotta meet Minji in 12. Too bad.” 

“You still are hitting on her? Unbelievable.” I shake my head. I don’t know how I can be friend with such a player like him.

“I’m not. She’s the one who can’t let me go.”

“Whatever. I’m going.” I wave at him as I walk out from the coffee shop.

21 minutes later I arrive in the Sejong Center. I think everyone know that this place is one of the best venue for performance stage in the world, and my brother is going to have a performance in this place next week. Yeah, my brother is awesome. He’s always doing well in everything. He’s been conducting in orchestra performance not only in Korea but also in Tokyo, Vienna and Paris, while I’m stuck in Seoul with Financial Analysis paper. But I’m proud of him. The same way I’m proud of my father.

“Hoaegi…” My brother comes and hugs me.

“Stop calling me like that. I’m a college student now.” I pouted.

“Arasso… Geez, you’re so sentimental. How are you doing? It’s been a long time since we met.”

“I’m good. Dad too. We miss you though.”

“Ah, I didn’t have a chance to go home and meet dad. I think I should give him a call later.”

“Yeah, he said he won’t give you inheritance if you don’t.” I said jokingly.

“Wow, that’s bad. I really should give a call.” We laugh.

Since my mom passed away 5 years ago, I only have my dad and my brother. It may sound cheesy but they are everything too me. I wasn’t always a good kid since the beginning. I also lack of many thing if you compare me with Siwon-hyung, but dad always treat me equally. Sometimes I even thought that dad care for me more.

I watch my brother practicing in awe. He’s amazing. Since young his passion of classical music is remarkable. He was a genius in any instrument before finally decide to study conducting. He applied for Julliard and got accepted. He’s been living overseas for years before finally decide to come back to Korea and built an orchestra company. He’s young, passionate, successful and good-looking. Well, I’m more good-looking actually, but…yeah, my brother is perfect. Finally the practice is over after about an hour.

“It’s done, let’s go get lunch. Howonnie?”My brother's voice started me.

“Huh?” I spaced out.

“You’re pale.” He looks at me worriedly.

“Oh, I haven’t eaten since morning. Only half of waffle.” I smile, trying to ensuring him.

“Stupid boy! You should take care of yourself. You’re in college already.”

“Arasso, don’t hit me. Wait, I’m going to bathroom in a minute.”

I walk to the toilet near the hall to wash my face and clean my hands. I was drying my hands when I hear some sweet melody. It’s familiar song that I hear lately. I walk out from the toilet and follow the sounds. It’s somehow enchanting. I stopped to the hall near the stair. Seems like there’s a rehearsal in here too. It’s a musical rehearsal.

Then I saw her. Wait? I knew that girl. It's her. The gloomy girl from the coffee shop. She’s standing in the center of the stage. Her black hair is being let down. She sings the song with a sweet but sad voice. Yeah, it’s a sad song after all… But she’s so beautiful. Wickedly beautiful.

 

I dreamed a dream in time gone by

When hope was high and life worth living

I dreamed that love would never die

I dreamed that God would be forgiving

 

Then I was young and unafraid

And dreams were made and used and wasted

There was no ransom to be paid

No song unsung, no wine untasted

 

But the tigers come at night

With their voices soft as thunder

As they tear your hope apart

As they turn your dream to shame

 

I Dreamed A Dream. It’s a sad song, I knew it. And she sings it beautifully and so sadly. I can’t take my eyes off from that girl. I know it’s an act. But, why is she looks so sad? I wonder if she’s ever experienced such a sad life before. I suddenly wanna know more about her. It feels weird.

Is that the thing that you call love at the first sight?

"In summer moonlight, she was dangerously, inebriatingly magnified."