Chapter 5

Saint Anne
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What the old man said indeed came true, the boy’s family immediately packed their things and left, permanently closing the bakery. It became the talk of the town; newspapers, television, radio. It was everywhere.

“I knew there was something strange with that boy,” Taeyeon heard the cook say; she was sitting on a stool in one of their local diners, waiting for her order. “Who would have thought that we have someone as queer as him in this little town” the cook sighed. “I wonder how many threats his family received.”

“If they didn’t leave, they’ll be murdered in their beds.” A woman in her thirties said as she sipped her soup. Taeyeon shivered.”There are more of them; it’s just a matter of time before they spread their filth. You mark my words.”

Once the cook handed Taeyeon her food she paid for it and stormed out of the diner. She couldn’t bear to listen to them any longer. She rode her bicycle and cycled in an incredible speed.  When she reached the factory she hurriedly went upstairs to their room. Her mother noticed that she was pale and was gripping the small bag she was carrying.

“What happened to you? You look like you were chased by dogs.”

It’s worse than that, she thought.

She placed the bag on the table, took her shoes and jacket off and got into bed.

“Aren’t you going to eat?”

“I’m not hungry”

Her mother shrugged and took her share. She picked up the newspaper and started reading.

Taeyeon wasn’t able to sleep last night. She was tired, both physically and emotionally. She stared at the ceiling and let herself wander. She was completely disturbed about what happened, she never imagined that the people would react the way that they did, it was worse than she thought.

“He might have been a product of a dysfunctional family” her mother blurted, still reading the newspaper. “Poor boy, I hope he gets better, there would be no salvation for him if he doesn’t, God hates homouals.”

Oh no, not her too. Taeyeon gritted her teeth. Why won’t they give it a rest? She couldn’t understand why God would hate her. She didn’t kill anyone, or stole anything. It was like everything they say was directed towards her. Is there a place where she can forget all her worries? Even for just a while? She needed to escape, wanted to escape.

She thought of the Hwang Hall and Tiffany. The only person who understands her. Taeyeon felt nervous, had she heard about what happened? She doesn’t think so; it was such a secluded place. She probably doesn’t know how serious this is.

Taeyeon closed her eyes and saw Tiffany’s face and for some reason everything was right in the world. Suddenly she needed to touch her, to feel her warmth, she needed to see her. She got out of bed and wore her shoes and jacket.

“Where are you going?”

“Hwang Hall”

“At this hour?” she nodded and closed the door.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Good morning Taeyeon” Soonkyu greeted her as soon as she entered the Octagon.

“Have you seen Lady Stephanie?”

“She’s in the flower room” Of course, she thought. That’s where she’ll be. She quickly thanked the servant and went out of the Octagon, which was where the Hwangs always had tea and walked across the great hall, through the small hall and into the flower room. She saw her outside the room with the under gardener, standing by a rose tree, they were talking and Tiffany’s face turned up to the sun and laughed at something the gardener had said. Taeyeon’s heart warmed at the sight, she felt safe.

The under gardener noticed her and said “Taeyeon! Why are you standing there?”

“I just arrived, I was looking around”

Tiffany gave her a wide, generous smile “Were you looking for me?” she t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter