Chapter 9 - Lee Donghae

The Elusive Assassin

Sungmin went to Busan to visit an orphanage where his brother is currently staying. After the court permitted the child psychiatrist’s request for Donghae’s rehabilitation, he and his brother were transferred to the next town for rehabilitation. Neither the relatives nor them knew that they were transferred as far as Busan and leave them in an orphanage. This makes Sungmin loses hope to achieve the justice he needed for his family and realized how influential their enemy was.

He sighed when he reached the front door of the orphanage. This has been his brother’s rehabilitation place and thankfully his recovery gradually improves every day, as the guardian reported. He knocked at the wooded door thrice and a young woman opens the door for him.

“Omo! Sungmin ah! How are you?” the young lady with a long chestnut hair and brown eyes smiles at  him. She is wearing a colourful floral dress and a pair of doll shoes. She hugged Sungmin for a while.

“I’m fine, Jessica” he replied and hugged back at the lady. “How’s the orphanage running?” he asked.

“Still in good running condition. We have at least 2 youngsters leave the orphanage to spread their wings in the outside world.” She chuckles.” As for your brother, he is slowly improving day by day. He is having a fond of taking pictures using the camera that you have given to him the last time that you visited him.”

He just nodded. He was relieved for the news. “How about his interaction with other people?” he asked.

Her face became solemn.” He chooses to stay alone rather interact with other people. He still flinches sometimes when new people want to talk to him.” She said. “I also asked Kibum oppa about the progress of your case, but still, nothing happened.” She added. His half brother, Kim Kibum, is also working as a Junior investigator in Busan, so he get the news from this comrades about the case.

He sighed. “Well, I might not hope that the case will be solved unless someone is manipulating behind.” I just want to focus on my brother, that’s all.” He said, but on the other hand, he thinks of resolving it in his hands.

Jessica patted his shoulder. Sungmin told her his family’s tragedy. “Don’t lose hope, justice will prevail.” She reassures Sungmin.

He shrugged his shoulder. “I’ll go and see my brother. Thanks for the small chat Jessie” He said and reached the doorknob of his brother’s room. He opens the door and found him.

Donghae is gazing at the sky outside his window when Sungmin walked his way to his brother. Hearing the footsteps he flinched and turns his side where the footsteps came from. Sungmin smiled as he slowly reached for his dear dongsaeng.

“Hyung….?” He stares for a while, and upon recognizing his brother, he stood up and hugs him.

“It’s been a while, Hae-ah.” He hugged back. “Do you miss your hyung?” he asked.

“Yes..”he answered back. He went back to his seat and gaze at the sky.

His heart was crushed upon seeing his brother. After the murder, he was not the cheerful brother that he knew. Gone are the days that he can play pranks on him and make the family laugh at his antics to the delight of their parents. He easily associates with other person and shares bright cheerful eyes on the people. Now he was replaced by being alone, hides himself to others and only spends most of his time in his room, gazing at the window.

Sungmin sat beside him and watched him gazing the window. They stayed at that position on a long period of time, until Donghae breaks the silence.”Hyung, how was your shoulder? Does it still hurt?” he asked. He points at Sungmin’s right shoulder where a gunshot pierces on it when the murder occurred.

Sungmin pats his shoulder and shakes his head. “Not anymore. It was healed long time ago. You should also heal too. Go outside and make friends with other people. I miss your smile and your antics.” He purred at his brother. “Jessica said you’re starting to like taking pictures with the camera that I gave to you last time. Can I see the pictures?” He said.

Donghae broke a smile upon hearing Jessica’s name. “She helps me many times. She accompanies me when I take pictures outside.” He stands up and reached for his room’s chest drawers. He then retrieves the pictures. He shows the pictures to Sungmin and continued, “But that is not enough for me to go outside and trust people.”

Sungmin stopped looking at the picture and looked at Donghae. His heart sank at his last statement. Silence reigned between them when Donghae first voice breaks the silence, “Hyung, are you going to leave me again?” he asked. His eyes show a mixture of sadness and fear.

He tilted his head and sighed. “I’ll be staying here for two days for you, and I have to go back to Gwanju for work. You will understand, right?” he said.

He smiled at his hyung's answer and nodded. “Just don’t leave me for a long time. Come and visit me as often as you can.” He paused for a while. Fear shows upon his face again. ”Bad guys are everywhere. They might hurt us like what they had done for omma and appa.” He whispered.

Sungmin stood and hugged his brother.  “I will not leave you. Bad guys will not chase and hurt us again.” A tear breaks in his eyes as he said it. Donghae hugged him in return.