Ch. 11

Being Human

After such a satisfying mini-vacation, school seemed like hell the following Monday.  Ren hadn’t bothered to even touch his homework and he wasn’t looking forward to nagging the teachers into a state of not caring. The only thing he was really looking forward to was lunch.

Lunch was good.

Lunch was great.

At lunch, he could stare at Yongguk and send him mini telepathic waves. Ren was sure his attempts were beginning to wear the older boy down. Soon enough, he’d be trapped under Ren’s beauty spell.

It was a wonder he’d even lasted so long.

The only hiccup in Ren’s plans was a certain pimple by the name of JR.

JR seemed to have an uncanny ability to pop up in Ren’s life when he was least wanted. Like a pimple.

Exhibit A: Mr. Kwang’s class.

Apparently, JR was suddenly interested in this partner project with Ren. In fact, it was beginning to thoroughly creep Ren out.

He wouldn’t say much to Ren. He just stared for an uncomfortably long time and smile evilly, as if he knew something Ren didn’t.

It was a decidedly un-pretty smile.

“I haven’t started on this.” Ren remarked, turning his nose up at the other boy.

JR said nothing and tilted his head, studying Ren.

“If you expect me to do this by myself, think again. You can do your half on your own and email it to me. I don’t want to spend any time with you outside of this class and I’m sure you feel the same.” Ren made to turn around in his seat, regretting ever choosing to sit here despite the teacher’s insistence when he’d first arrived.

“Why do you think I don’t want to spend time with you?” JR finally spoke, his voice sending shivers down Ren’s spine (and not the tingly good ones he used to get). “In fact, I could come over one day and we could…” JR lifted an eyebrow, considering his next words, “collaborate together.”

Ren decided right there that he very much did not want to collaborate with JR. And the way he’d said it made it sound like he’d meant something completely different from Ren’s definition of collaborate.

“I think I want you to stay as far away from my house as you possibly can. Preferably in China. Or Brazil. I hear Brazil is very nice this time of year. Have you ever considered moving to Brazil?” Ren could hear himself rambling as his nerve slipped from him. Something felt wrong.

JR smirked. “We’ll see.”

Ren wasn’t sure if they were still talking about Brazil.

When lunch period began, Ren was sure he must have looked as if he’d flown in his escape from JR. He had never moved so fast in his life.

Baekho and Minhyun followed him at a much more normal pace and joined him at their table.

A quick glance told Ren that Yongguk was not sitting with JR and his lackeys at their table of thugs. Another glance confirmed Yongguk was not in the cafeteria at all.

Ren tried to control the disappointment he knew was shadowing his face.

Key and Minho appeared later than usual.

Key appeared fatigued and Minho looked angrier than usual.

“What’s up with you two?” Baekho asked.

“Nothing.” Key snapped.

“How come you guys never came to the beach? You said something came up.” Ren pushed JR to the back of his mind for the moment.

“I-” Key floundered for a moment. “I had… laundry.”

“Laundry?” Baekho snorted.

“Just drop it, alright?” Key sat down heavily next to Baekho and the blonde narrowed his eyes.

“Something’s wrong.” Baekho put his sandwich back down onto his plate.

Minho’s eyes focused on the shorter boy as if seeing him for the first time.

Key glared at Baekho. “What are you talking about? I said everything is fine. I’m just in a ty mood.”

“What happened?” Baekho pushed.

Minhyun and Ren stopped eating for a moment to watch the two.

Ren saw Key’s mouth open and close as if he was searching for a rebuttal.

It was strange, seeing this side of Baekho. Ren had come to think of him as a sort of loveable goof, not terribly sharp, and only looking for the best times to have fun. Ren was also beginning to see how wrong his initial assumption was. The first time he’d seen this Baekho was when he couldn’t find Minhyun. The teddy bear-like persona had sharpened into something feral and Ren could truly see the likeness between the blonde boy and a bear looking for its lost cub: fierce, protective, and maybe dangerous.

“Nothing happened!” Key protested, growing frustrated.

“Yes,” Baekho insisted, also looking peeved. “Something did.”

Key clenched his teeth. “I said nothing happened. So. Nothing. Happened. Why are you suddenly so up in my business? !”

“I’m not laying off until you tell me.” Baekho snarled.

“What the makes you think something is wrong with me? I’m just pissed off because this oaf won’t leave me the alone.”

“You’re sitting on the bench.” Baekho said in a deadly calm.

“I- what?” Key looked startled.

“Not once since you’ve been sitting at this table have you ever sat on that bench without me having shoved you onto it or unless something has happened.”

“Key,” Minho spoke up and nearly startled Ren out of his seat. “Just tell them.”

Three pairs of eyes narrowed onto Key who appeared somewhat lost as he faced Minho.

“I don’t…” He began again.

“Kibum.”

Key flinched and Ren realized he’d never heard Key’s real name before. It was strange. He’d almost begun to expect the older boy’s birth certificate to say Key.

Minho maintained his stare until Key shifted uncomfortably.

Then, with jerky movements, Key leaned down towards his bag and ruffled through it for a few minutes. When it became clear he was stalling whatever it was Minho wanted him to reveal, Key sighed and sat back up, pulling a packet of make-up wipes with him.

Key bit his lip and pulled a wipe from the pack and swiped it underneath his eye.

Ren bit back a curse as the unmistakable colorings of a bruise appeared where make-up had been expertly covering it before.

Key threw the make-up wipe down onto the table, having revealed everything he needed to. He grabbed a bottle of foundation from his bag and started covering the spot back up again.

“Who did this?” Baekho growled. “Was it Inati? I’ll kill him.” Baekho moved to stand up when Key grabbed his arm and yanked him back down.

“Slow down, big boy. As hot as it would be to see you rush into battle to defend my honor, it wasn’t Inati.” Key shoved everything back into his bag. He’d flawlessly masked the bruising and Ren began to wonder just how large the injury actually was. He would have doubted there was a bruise at all if not for having seen it with his own eyes just moments before.

“Who?” Bakeho’s voice dropped another octave and Ren was starting to wonder if he’d actually break a sound barrier.

“My dad likes drinking.” Key finally met their eyes. His face was schooled into a mask of perfect indifference. “And when he’s gone and drunk himself into stupidity, he remembers how much he hates having a little for a son. When he remembers that, he likes to remind me too.”

Minho grunted. It sounded like a furious grunt.

“Why didn’t you tell us before?” Minhyun whispered.

“Because it’s not a big deal. He throws some punches and I throw some too. He’s usually too drunk to aim straight. He just got lucky this time.”

Ren felt his jaw tighten. He’d had no idea that Key came from that kind of household. The older boy always seemed so cheeky and aloof. But Ren supposed the kind of strength Key demonstrated in the face of people like Inati and JR didn’t come naturally. Ren had simply assumed that Minho provided Key with a backbone.

Maybe Ren wasn’t the best at judging people with a first glance. Or even a second.

The rest of the lunch period was spent in silence.

Ren and Minhyun gave quick glances, checking on the other three every few seconds. Baekho glared into the distance, as if he was actively holding himself back from jumping up and running out to find Key’s father. Minho kept his gaze steady on Key, watching for any sign of discomfort and Key pushed grey curry back and forth on his trey.

It was the heaviest lunch Ren had ever experienced.