Ch. 1

Being Human

 

"Minki, you're going today so don't try to argue!" Ren's father's deep voice echoed throughout the large house.
 
"But dad!" Ren shrieked. "What's wrong with me staying at Sung Gun Academy?"
 
Sung Gun Academy was one of the most prestigious high schools in Korea. Only the smartest or the richest got it. Of course, it usually went without saying that most of the students there were both exceptionally smart and wealthy.
 
"Because your attitude there has been horrible. I've received more complaints than I can count from your teachers. I've visited the office more times than I care to recall. Plus, your grades are slipping every day!"
 
"I'll try harder! I swear! Please don't send me to Pledis!" Ren was nearly crawling on his knees toward his dad who was slowly walking out the front door where the chauffeur was patiently waiting.
 
Pledis High was one of the most... questionable schools in Korea. It was known for the various gangs and delinquents that roamed the halls of the shady high school. Frankly, Ren didn't feel like blessing these unworthy people with a glimpse of his flawless face.
 
"You will go to Pledis so help me God I'll drag you there myself." Was his father's last angry shout before the front door slammed shut.
 
Ren looked down at his uniform in disgust. A black blazer over a plain white tee and black pants. How... boring. Some pink accessories would make the dull outfit so much more fabulous.
 
Ren shot up to his room and dug through his drawers grabbing his hot pink sneakers and a leopard print shirt. He replaced the white tee with the animal print and tied his bleached hair back into a ponytail. Completing his look with a bit of eyeliner, Ren gave a satisfied smile to the mirror. "If only I get my hands on some pink lining... I would totally make that stupid looking emblem ten times more fabulous."
 
Deciding he was decent enough to call the chauffeur to get ready, Ren grabbed his satchel and made his way downstairs.
 
"Maybe I can just look at it as a charity case." He thought out loud. "I'm letting these commoners gaze upon my beauty." He his cheek with a small smile, absolutely sure of himself that he was the most beautiful creature to ever walk the earth.
 
When he arrived at the school, Ren noticed many students giving the sleek black car strange looks. "Like they've never seen wealth before." He sighed.
 
The school itself was an ugly building consisting of three floors and a gym set a few yards away from the actual school building.
 
Ren felt dirty already as he stepped out of the car and walked among the rest of the boys into the building. He was already receiving strange looks from the other teens.
 
"I thought this was an all boy's school." Someone snickered.
 
Peasant. You don't deserve to look at my perfect , let alone breathe the same air as me, Ren thought to himself, disgusted by the school.
 
There was a catcall followed by a few whoops and harsh guy laughter.
 
Ren simply walked into the front office which was fortunately located in the main hall.
 
"I'm the new student." He informed the plump secretary who gave him an unimpressed look.
 
"Name?" She clicked her tongue, staring at her computer screen. The monitor hummed loudly, irritating him to no extent. The snapping of her gum didn't help.
 
"Choi Minki." He said, trying not to reach across the counter and slap her cheek to get her to stop making the disgusting noises.
 
"Mm. Your home room is 304 with Mr. Shim. Here's your schedule and a map of the school. You have second lunch." The secretary rambled on about things that didn't interest him.
 
Ren rolled his eyes and looked to the clock. Only eight more hours of this hell before he could escape.
 
"Do you need me to show you the way to your home room?" The secretary asked.
 
"Ah, no. I think I can-"
 
"Oh, Minhyun!" Ren was cut off by the annoying woman's voice. "Minki here is a new student. Show him to Mr. Shim's room please."
 
Ren turned around to face a surprisingly attractive teenager. He was tall and lanky. Almost as pretty as him, but not quite. Ren nodded in approval. He would allow this commoner to be seen with him.
 
"Mr. Shim's kind of dull, but you'll get used to him." Minhyun said as they walked out of the office.
 
"I don't plan on being here long enough to get used to him." Ren replied.
 
Minhyun shrugged. "Here's the classroom. I have home room with Mrs. Cho so I guess I could call you lucky. You have second lunch, right? I'll look for you and introduce you to my friends."
 
Ren was about to tell the boy that he had no plans of making friends in this hellhole when the taller male jogged away.
 
Ren huffed loudly before turning the doorknob.
 
The teacher stood at the front of the classroom trying to calm the room full of rowdy boys. He was stuttering and waving his hands around in the air madly but only about a fourth of the room was actually listening to him.
 
Ren walked up and tapped him lightly on the shoulder.
 
Mr. Shim (at least Ren assumed it was Mr. Shim) spun around and blanched at the sight of the new student. "Oh! You're the new student from Sang Gun, aren't you?"
 
Some of the boys heard this and began a chorus of "ooh's".
 
"A rich kid!" A boy in the third row who was sitting on top of a friend's desk cackled. "Hey princess, you can come over here if you like." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively and Ren maintained his poker face.
 
"Why don't you introduce yourself to the class?" Mr. Shim suggested when he realized his class was finally paying attention.
 
"Why should I?" Ren asked blankly, his emotionless face making Mr. Shim even more nervous.
 
"Well, this is Choi Minki!" Mr. Shim clapped loudly and turned to the teenagers. "I hope you'll all be kind to him!"
 
"Ren." He crossed his arms.
 
"W-What?"
 
"I prefer to be called Ren."
 
"Oh, ah. Well then. I expect you all to be friendly with Ren and show him around."
 
"I'll be friendly with you, princess." The same boy who'd spoken before yelled, causing the other guys to laugh.
 
"Ren, why don't you sit with JR?" Mr. Shim suggested. "Ah, would someone wake up JR?"
 
The class was quiet immediately.
 
Ren looked around. He guessed JR was the boy with his head buried in his arms next to the window.
 
When no one moved to wake the sleeping boy, Mr. Shim nervously trotted down the aisle and tapped JR's desk with his ruler.
 
There was a collective gasp from the room.
 
Mr. Shim knocked the stick against the table again before a hand shot out and stopped the angry tapping.
 
He lifted his head from the crook of his elbow and Ren was stunned.
 
The boy was beautiful to say in the least. A chiseled jawline Michaelangelo would have been jealous of and perfect pink lips. Wavy bangs flipped in front of one eye and dear god those eyes. They were sharp and piercing and basically gave Ren a feeling he'd never experienced before in the pit of his stomach.
 
"What?" JR asked harshly.
 
The room held its breath in anticipation.
 
"There is a new student and I would appreciate it if you would remove your legs from this seat. He will be using it." Mr. Shim looked like a deer caught in the headlights. It was obvious the whole room was terrified of the beautiful boy but Ren was in awe.
 
He'd finally met someone as beautiful as he. Someone worthy of being his other half. Thousands of fantasies were playing in Ren's mind right now - some of them less appropriate than others.
 
JR stared at the teacher before seemingly deciding that sleep was the preferable option to sending his teacher flying out the window.
 
He slid his feet off of the chair in front of him and nestled his head back in his arms.
 
There was a sigh throughout the room.
 
Ren sat down in the now empty seat in front of JR.
 
As soon as Mr. Shim began talking, the class erupted into the chaos it had been in before.
 
Ren turned around in his seat and poked the sleeping boy.
 
There was a muffled grunt before JR turned his head to the side and continued snoring.
 
"Yah. Wake up." Ren commanded him. "I'm Ren. I've decided you're good looking enough to be my friend."
 
"What the makes you think I'd want to be your friend." Was the muffled response.
 
Ren almost swooning at the deep, sleepy voice of the other boy before he reminded himself that he was Ren and Ren does not swoon. Ren causes others to swoon.
 
"Because I'm pretty." Ren said it like it was the most obvious statement in the world.
 
JR slowly looked up from his arms and Ren's heart thudded painful upon seeing those dark, smoldering eyes again. He prepared himself for the music that he was positive was going to come out of that oh so inviting mouth of his.
 
Instead, JR asked, "Why the are you wearing makeup?"