006

The Last One

 

Himchan cringed as he felt a throbbing pain against his chest. Himchan tried not to make a sound but it hurt too much. Himchan then emitted a strained gasp, beating his fist against his chest. Yongguk rushed to his side and held onto his arm tightly so he would stop hurting herself. Yongguk held him close from behind, soothing him with his voice.



 

"Channie, I'm here...I'm here," he soothed.

Yongguk's presence made Himchan feel slightly better and soon enough, the pain subsided.



 

"Thank you, Bbang" Himchan breathed as he leaned himself onto Yongguk, exhausted. Behind him, Yongguk was crying inside. Himchan's lips were losing colour and if possible, his skin had gotten paler. Yongguk had felt the exact same throb in his hand but Yongguk had learned to withstand the pain over these many years. Himchan however had not. This was unfair to Himchan and it hurt to know that it was he who caused this.

Himchan smiled in his embrace. He turned and gave a peck on Yongguk's cheek, breaking Yongguk out of his thoughts.



 

"I'm alright now. Don't worry too much."

Yongguk forced a smile in return.

 

A week had passed since the mark had duplicated itself on Himchan and Yongguk watched everyday as Himchan struggled to take in the pain. Yongguk shook his head and held his closer.



 

I'm so sorry for everything.



 

"Are you tired?" Yongguk asked gently. Himchan nodded his head cutely and Yongguk kissed him on the forehead. Yongguk stayed beside him until Himchan had fallen asleep on the bed.

 

Yongguk opened the drawer next to his bed, taking out something before heading to the door. Yongguk looked at him one last time. 


 


"I love you."



 

(x)

 


It was night and the stars were glistening. The light from the moon reflected off the river and Yongguk remembered this place well. It was where he had run to the day of Chaerin's funeral and Yongguk found that it was where he could see the sky the clearest.

 

This way, he could speak to the Star directly.

"You've taken so much from me and you ruined the ones beside me. I can't even start to express my hatred for you," Yongguk said. The Star twinkled as if it was listening. 



 

"I thought I lost this game to you a long time ago but this game will never end. After me, you'll just choose your next puppet, sacrificing that person for everyone else. Have you ever thought that one person's life just might worth as much as everyone else?" 



 

The heavens frowned at this. How dare he question the laws of the universe?

"That was what I used to think almost every night. I also thought that I got the worst end of the deal yet I've managed to find someone that loves me as much as I love him. I don't feel so bad anymore."


 


Yongguk smiled at the thought of him. Himchan had brought him light and that happiness would never be forgotten. Yongguk loved him more than the heavens allowed but that did not stop him. Himchan was his everything. 



 

"My life was over the moment you decided to hurt him and from that moment I've made my decision. I don't want any other person suffer the way I did," he stated to the sky. Yongguk lifted his head to look directly at the Star, determined.



 

"I know you won't hear me out so I just have to grant it myself. The servant acts as the Star's ears on Earth right?"

Yongguk pulled off his jacket, revealing his poisoned arm. The countless lines, so similar to black veins, had stretched to his heart, needing only one inch for them to connect. When that happens, the Star would take his life once and for all and curse the next. Yongguk swallowed as he drew out a short dagger.



 

"I wish to be your last servant. You will no longer need to find someone else to replace me. This poison, this curse will end with me and will not transfer to another. I will serve you as your only servant as a human and after. I wish to serve you for eternity."



 

The Star watched him, helpless as the tip of his dagger met with his skin and blood leaked, staining the blade. It had no choice. It had to grant his final wish. His mark burned one last time on his skin and Yongguk laughed weakly. 



 

"I think I won this game. You thought you could take everything from me but there's something you will never be able to take. My heart had been taken away by someone else a long time ago. It was taken by him." 



 

Yongguk plunged the dagger deep into his flesh forcing a barrier so that the tips of the Star's mark would never be able to connect. Let this be the end. His only regret was that he could not be with Himchan any longer.

 

Yongguk dropped onto his knees before falling to the ground. The servant left his mark on Earth as his blood seeped into the soil underneath. The heavens were speechless.

 

This one person had broken their law.

 

This person was their last sacrifice. 



 

(x)

 

 

He slept soundly, not knowing yet as to what he would find out when he woke. The feeling of being in love overrode any pain that the Star brought yet the other had already made his choice. The mark on his skin was no longer a curse, only a simple reminder of the one he so loved. Everything that they were both willing to endure was for the other. The heavens didn't understand but they did. Sacrifice for a loved one was no punishment and if it was for him, it would be worth it.

 


hope you enjoyed it! ^^ you can tweet me @hemcheng if you want~