Getting Started

Boba Bar

"Yes mom, I understand. I'll focus on my studies and do my best, you don't have to worry."

"Alright dear, stay safe in Korea this summer. I love you"

"Love you too." and with the push of a button, he had hung up.

Luhan, age 22 was going into this final year of college in Korea. He had decided to take a few classes during the summer so his senior year wouldn't be filled with stress and homework. His mother worried about him being alone in a foreign country, but he assured her that he was going to be fine.

He heads down a popular street near campus housing restaurants and shops that students frequent often, to meet a friend for some lunch. On his way down the street he notices a sign in a window looking to hire someone. He had been thinking about getting a job while he was going to school here. He was only taking a few classes and could use some money to spend, so he heads inside to see if he could snag this job.

"Welcome to the Boba Bar!" A cheery employee greeted him from the counter as he entered.

"Hello there." He responded with. "I was looking at your sign and it says you are hiring?"

"Oh yes we are!" The employee reached under the counter to pull out a piece of paper. "Here, if you could fill out this application with your schedule and contact information and bring it back, we will consider you. But I have to warn you, there have been applications submitted already so you should hurry on that."

"Oh well alright then." Luhan scanned over the piece of paper and wondered if it was worth it. Someone else might need the job more than he does and he doesn't want to take that opportunity away from someone.

"Oh hi Kris!" The employee's voice chimed to break him away from his thoughts.

Luhan turned around to see a taller man with a very charismatic look standing behind him. He assumes he was a regular, which is why the employee called him by his name. "Hey Kyungsoo. Who's this?"

"Oh he came in asking about the job..." Kyungsoo turns to Luhan. "I'm sorry I don't even think I got your name." He extends his hand for a handshake. "My name is Kyungsoo and this is my boss Kris."

Luhan straightens up a bit at the word boss. He didn't expect someone so young to be the boss of this place. He reaches out and shakes Kyungsoo's hand. "My name is Luhan"

"Wait Luhan?" Kris asks inquisitively. "Are you Chinese by any chance?"

Luhan raises an eyebrow at the question and takes a better look at the taller man and notices that his facial features are more Chinese than Korean and guesses that he is also Chinese. “Yes, I am.” He says responding in Chinese.

Kris’ eyes light up a bit. “I haven’t met another Chinese person while in Korea. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.” The whole time they were speaking Mandarin, Kyungsoo was standing there a little lost in translation.

“Were you looking to get a job here?” Kris asks the shorter.

“Actually, yeah.” Luhan says looking at the piece of paper and back up at him. “I mean, it’s not like I need it, but it’d be nice to have some money to spend.”

“Alright you got the job.” Kris says casually as he heads behind the counter.

“What?” Luhan was surprised that it was that easy.

Kris shrugs. “Why not? You seem nice enough and it’d be nice to have another Chinese person working here.”

“Oh, well thank you.” Luhan says bowing to him.

“Kyungsoo, you’re going to train him.” Kris says to him in Chinese and Kyungsoo just stares at him wide eyed unsure as to what he had just said. “Oh sorry, Kyungsoo.” He says switch back to Korean. “Basically, Luhan is hired and you’re going to train him.”

“Oh okay.” Kyungsoo is still a little confused as to what just has happened but goes along with it anyways.

“Just come in tomorrow at 10 when we open and Kyungsoo will get you started on what you need to know.” Kris said making himself some milk tea. “Alright I got to go but I will see both you later.” And with that Kris was out the door.

“What just happened?” Kyungsoo was still confused and just standing there with wide eyes.

Luhan glances over and gives him a shrug. “I guess I am working here now.” They both look at each other and start laughing.

“Well Luhan, I’ll see you tomorrow and we can get started on your training.” Kyungsoo says smiling.

Luhan nods and heads towards the door. “See you later.”

-----

Luhan almost woke up late because he forgot to set alarm but thankfully his body’s natural instincts woke up in time for this new job.

He walked into the Boba bar a little early to see Kyungsoo doing some things around the store. “Oh Luhan!” Kyungsoo said looking up at the other after checking his watch. “You’re early, which is good.  Let’s not waste any time shall we?”

Luhan nods and heads behind the counter with Kyungsoo. Within an hour, Kyungsoo teaches him how to make teas, flavored teas, milk teas, flavored milk teas, smoothies, slushies, juices and anything and everything the Boba bar has to offer along with teaching him how to open; cleaning the tables and floors, turning on machines and things like that. “And…  you remember everything?” Luhan’s face was a little distressed and confused because trying to remember everything was overwhelming and Kyungsoo laughs at it a bit. “I’m just kidding. You’ll learn as you go, don’t worry. You’ll be working with me for the first shift so you can get the hang of things. Sound good?” Luhan smiles and nods at the other.

“So tell me about yourself.” Kyungsoo says as he sits down in a chair behind the counter.

Luhan sits down next to him and crosses his legs, thinking of what to say. He always dreads questions like that because he never knows what to say. “Well I’m 22, Chinese, a business major, and I like to play soccer. I like to go out with friends and such.” He shrugs. “I guess I’m just a normal kid. What about you?”

Kyungsoo smiles and shrugs. “Well I’m 20 and a communications major here. I like to cook and hanging out also. You know, just normal things.” He says with a smile.

Just then, they hear the door open and a customer walks up to the counter. “How about you take this one? It’s not busy so just take your time and try to remember everything.”

Luhan gives him a nod and stands up to the register. “Hello sir, what can I get for you?”

The customer glances over the menu quickly. “Give me a mango, half black tea, half green tea, half sweet, with a shot of milk with boba.” The customer spoke fast and Luhan was in a little flustered with such a complicated order. He glances back to Kyungsoo who just gives him a shrug and a all knowing smile. “Well?” The customer said looking a bit impatient.

Luhan stared at the register, confused on what buttons to push and how he should even charge such an order. He glances back at Kyungsoo with pleading eyes, hoping that he would help him. But all he does is laugh at him and he turns to see the customer laughing also. Now he is thoroughly confused.

“I’m Joonmyun, I actually work here also. Kyungsoo told me that we had some fresh meat and he wanted to mess with you.”

Luhan glances over at Kyungsoo, giving him a evil glare and all he does is shrug back. “It was fun and I couldn’t resist.” Joonmyun was now behind the counter giving Kyungsoo a high five before sitting down next to Kyungsoo.

“It’s nice to meet you Luhan.”

“I wish I could say likewise.” Luhan says a little bitter about their little trick.

“Since it’s not busy right now, how about you make me a drink, so I can test your skills?” Luhan gives him a look, thinking that he’s going to make him do another complicated order. “Don’t worry, just a simple mango black tea with tapioca.”

Luhan breathes a small sigh of relief and nods. “Alright.” He heads over and beings to make it while Kyungsoo and Joonmyun watch him a little closely. He finishes making the drink and seals it before handing it over to Joonmyun.

Even before Joonmyun pokes a straw in it, he sets it aside. “It’s too sweet.”

“You didn’t even drink it, how do you even know?”

“I watched you and you used all sweet black tea rather than using half sweet half unsweet and the flavoring already has sweetness to it, therefore it’s too sweet.”

Luhan nods his head, understanding, but is embarrassed by his mistake. He goes and attempts to make the drink one more time. This time, Joonmyun actually takes a sip of it. “Not bad rookie.”

“I taught him well didn’t I?” Kyungsoo says with a smug smile.

Joonmyun rolls his eyes before throwing an arm over the other. “Yeah yeah.” Kyungsoo leans his head on the other’s shoulder. Luhan raises an eyebrow and the two realize that he was still standing there causing them to sit up.

“Any who.” Joonmyun says standing up. “I have class to get to. I’ll see you later.” He grabs his drink and pats Kyungsoo on the cheek and waves to Luhan. “Nice to meet you, Luhan.”

As soon as Joonmyun leaves the store, Luhan gives a questioning look over at Kyungsoo, who shrugged in reply. “We’re dating?” Luhan forms an ‘o’ with his mouth, understanding now.

“I didn’t know that you were…” Luhan’s voice trails off a bit.

“Gay?” Kyungsoo chuckles. “Well, I don’t scream it from the rooftops, but yeah.” The door opens and a customer walks up. “Looks like you’re up again. Don’t mess up this time.” Kyungsoo says giving him a pat on the back.

Luhan thinks that working here, is going to be interesting.

 


 

 

Well this chapter is just an intro to everything.

Next chapter will be a little bit more interesting.

I think.

Anyway, thanks to all the subscribers already. IDK why you people keep reading my stories lol