2

"Smile, Mr. Park."

Baekhyun has to admit that his job is much easier than he thought it would be, after three days working.

But because it is really easy, Baekhyun starts to feel this discomfort in his heart.

Baekhyun stares at his young master's room as he runs his fingers backwards through his hair, sighing deeply. He eyes every corner of the room thoroughly and he places his left hand on a custom-made wooden desk. He swifts his hand across it, feeling the hard surface under his touch and he examines his hand who just touched the desk.

Even Chanyeol doesn't let any dust left here..

Baekhyun sighs again, this time much more audible. He looks up at the ceiling and wonders if this should be granted as good or bad.

Since the first day Baekhyun comes here, he never really works.. because Chanyeol always does everything himself.

Looking at the neat room, this is the third time Baekhyun witnesses that Chanyeol has cleaned up it already.

This time Baekhyun is finally wondering, why would this family need an assistant for the young master, if he's capable to do everything by himself?

" Dude, he even woke up by himself diligently.." Baekhyun mumbles to no one in particular, deciding that the only task left for him to do is mop the floor. He starts to understand why the previous assistants quitted their job and Baekhyun finds it hard to keep him focused throughout the day of his work (as there are lesser tasks to do by each day).

 

 

Kyungsoo notices the clouded and confused gaze lacing beneath Baekhyun's brown orbs. He settles down beside the soulless boy and his hand supports his well-defined jaws, staring at him.

" How's your job?"

Baekhyun freezes and his eyes find the doe-eyed male looking at him amusedly. He roses up, forcing his body straight on the chair and he stares back.

" You mentioned that this second child of the household is your relative, right?"

Kyungsoo hums. Baekhyun takes it as a cue to take a deep breath before he continues,

" I had no idea that i'd serve such a distant person like him."

Kyungsoo shuffles his fingers and thinks. " Like, he always tidies up and never bothers you even if it's supposed to be your job?"

" Wow," Baekhyun blinks amazedly, forming a stupid 'O' with his mouth. " How did you know-"

" Well," Kyungsoo shrugs, " I offered the job to you, remember? And he's my relative too."

Baekhyun dumbly nods and seems to let out the breath he's been holding due to previous useless amazement. He sneaks another peek to his best friend. Baekhyun feels this a whole new problem to him and he has to tell Kyungsoo.

" So I met the chief butler, or maids, or whatever I don't even care," Baekhyun starts, " Lee Jinki."

" Ah, Jinki Hyung is a kind person, isn't he?"

" Thankfully, yes," Baekhyun appreciates it, " But then after our short conversation I saw a big.. family picture."

Kyungsoo stops fumbling with his fingers.

" And.." Baekhyun hesitates but decides to go with it anyway, " You didn't tell me that the only family member left is him, beside his grandfather."

There's a silence filling the awkward tension between them before Kyungsoo finally breaks the ice and looks up with apologising eyes.

" I thought it'd be better if you figured it out by yourself," Kyungsoo explains, " and I assure you, he's a good kid."

" I know," Baekhyun recalls the sparkling gaze when he said that he'd work under Chanyeol's care and Baekhyun swore he saw a hint of eyesmile.

" He's a bit.. introvert and.. quiet. I don't know how to describe this but well, how to put this.." The younger male scrunches up his face and Baekhyun waits him to finish.

" I hope you'll understand him. You are good at reading other people's feelings," Kyungsoo finalises, " He just.. needs a company, whether you'll believe it or not."

Baekhyun hears a hint of plea and worry layering Kyungsoo's voice. The cool breeze from the air conditioner encompasses the whole class and his cheeks calmingly, which makes Baekhyun, somehow, feel his heart a bit lighter.

" Okay," he smiles, " I'll try."

Kyungsoo's expression lights up and he nods furiously. " You'll get to understand him better," Kyungsoo promises, and Baekhyun feels his head spinning at the imagination of getting closer to the second child.

 

 

Apparently after Baekhyun arrives at the Park household, the rain starts pouring down hard and Baekhyun wonders where his luck comes from. He enters the house carefully and scurries to his room hurriedly. The weather is cold, and Baekhyun hates it. The tip of his ears turn pink when the temperature drops and his whole body freezes. At least Baekhyun needs to wear extra outer, before he passes out due to the cold. Baekhyun grits his freezing teeth and sighs in content when a thick sweater finally wraps his body. He walks out to the kitchen to make a cup of warm tea and in the hallway, Jinki is seen with a deep frown on his forehead.

" Um, Jinki Hyung?"

" Ah," the frown is forgotten and Jinki replaces it with a warm smile. He greets the shorter male and asks, " Did you just arrive? Were you together with Young Master?"

Baekhyun blinks. " Uh.. no..?"

Jinki seems to remember something. " Oh my God i forgot to tell you that he goes to the same university with you, but his major is different from you," he quickly says, " He's taking business and law major, two department buildings away from yours."

It's indeed two buildings away from Art department.. Baekhyun agrees. " I guess next time i can pay a visit."

" Of course," Jinki nods, " And.. uh, I just remembered that Young Master doesn't bring his umbrella.."

" Umbrella? Oh," Baekhyun is soon hit by realization; it's raining so hard outside, and Chanyeol is currently trapped not being able to go home.

" Actually I'm ordered to assist Sir Yoonsoo within thirty minutes so I wonder who will pick him up.."

" Um," Baekhyun tilts his head, " A driver..?"

Jinki laughs it off. " Young Master hates it when we pick him up with the cars. The cheapest car we have is.. Mercedes Benz, Baekhyun. He doesn't like to show off."

Damn rich people and their wealth.. Baekhyun thinks. " Then..?"

" Yeah, I was wondering whom I can ask for a help-"

" I can," Baekhyun volunteers quickly. His action acts faster than his brain and Baekhyun is surprised at himself. " Um, he's at Business and Law Department.. Right? I'll go."

" Okay," Jinki gives him one small-sized umbrella, " Thank you so much, Baekhyun!"

" It's alright," Baekhyun shows him his pearly teeth, " I'm going off now, Hyung!" Then within seconds, Baekhyun is already out of Jinki's sight.

Then suddenly after five to ten minutes, Jinki realizes something.

" Aigo," Jinki blinks in wonder, " I think he's forgetting about something.."

 

 

When Baekhyun pulls up his steps in front of the medium-sized building, his gaze goes blank at the sudden reality.

He doesn't have Chanyeol's phone number..

and how am I going to find him?

Baekhyun's tongue feels bitter at the imagination of running back and forth, tiring his lungs out, and looping around until he finds his master. But he has to do this, or else imagining his own master being drenched in rain and getting sick or absentmindedly waiting the rain to stop bothers him. So he pulls together and once he's got the determination, he walks in, searching a man with intimidating height, soft brown locks, and big eyes with cute ears-

That's when Baekhyun inwardly slaps himself.

Why did I think it's cute.. Baekhyun mumbles to no one, shaking his head furiously and continuing to take long strides forward in the process.

Thirty minutes pass and Baekhyun massages his reddening nose in frustration. First of all, he hates cold yet he has to run through all places he sees and second, he hasn't got any clue where on earth Chanyeol is. He asks around and all of them give shrugs as the same replies. Baekhyun inhales a sharp breath and snaps open his phone, fumbling with a phone number.

" Kyungsoo?" Baekhyun hurriedly calls when the line is connected, " Do you know what Chanyeol's favourite place at the university is?"

Kyungsoo goes in silent for a deep thinking before he mentions, " He loves books."

" Wh- books- oh," Baekhyun thanks his best friend immediately and hangs up. His feet retreat to the library which he has checked it earlier and Baekhyun wonders if he didn't search the inside properly. He just gave it a quick glance, after all. He doesn't realize how fast his speed-walking is, when within less than three minutes he has found himself standing in front of the library. He decides to give it a shot again, and enters the room. " Excuse me.." Baekhyun quietly says and almost tiptoes, eyes sweeping all over the corners in his sight. Following his instinct, he slips into a spot where people rarely go there, and his breath almost stops.

Chanyeol is there - he's reading a book with headsets plugged in his ears and he seems so immersed, legs crossing and eyes stay focused. With the rain at the background through the window, Baekhyun admits he looks beautiful.

Or maybe ever since they met, Baekhyun has always thought that Chanyeol is drop dead gorgeous.

His heart clenches, in a good way.

Baekhyun bites his lower lip until it's swollen and moves closer towards the taller man. He carefully places the umbrella on the top of the desk in front of Chanyeol, waiting until he responds.

Chanyeol notices it, and he brings up his gaze.

Baekhyun almost forgets how to breathe when he's looking into Chanyeol's black orbs. They are drawing him closer and deeper, captivating Baekhyun to no end. Baekhyun nervously breaks the eye contact (because he'd be damned if he didn't) and murmurs, " I'm bringing you the umbrella."

" Oh," the look in Chanyeol's eyes softens, " Thank you."

Baekhyun feels his knees gone weaker.

" I- " Baekhyun slowly backs off, " I'm going back first."

" Wait," Chanyeol halts him and Baekhyun prays there'll be a good reason enough after being stopped. Baekhyun glances up curiously. Five seconds later after having Chanyeol examine him from up to toe, Chanyeol asks,

" Where's your own umbrella?"

Baekhyun's mouth gapes open, murmuring a low crap and he grins meekly.

" I.. will take care.. of it.."

But Chanyeol doesn't buy it and shoves back the umbrella. " Take this. What if you get drenched?"

Don't do this, Baekhyun shuts his eyes, this man is too kind.. How is it possible?

After all, Baekhyun is his assistant.. and Chanyeol is his master..

So why are you being like this to me?

Baekhyun remembers when Jinki said that Chanyeol is a good guy, even towards his maids, or anyone who doesn't come off from the same level like him. In that instance, Baekhyun knows this is not good. He has to draw a clear line between their relationship as master and his assistant, or else Chanyeol is going too far with his kindness.

Baekhyun refuses to take the umbrella and laughs awkwardly, even giving Chanyeol a final salute ( his stupidity) and he runs away, ignoring the sharp looks from everyone in the library and he leaves Chanyeol with mouth falling flat in surprise.

 

 

A couple of minutes later later Baekhyun is already cutting through the rain with heavy pants. His hate towards cold has been long forgotten and all he can think now is calm his thumping heart down. He just makes a weird decision (or mistake) and he doesn't know how to face Chanyeol later. What if Chanyeol thinks that Baekhyun is rude? Baekhyun hopes if anything, it won't be far from "weird". He can't stand the thought of Chanyeol thinking him as a bad person.

Even though Baekhyun's intention was actually good, but he rejected Chanyeol's command. And on the top of all, Baekhyun made a final dramatic escape. What a day, Baekhyun sinks his face into his palm.

Dejectedly, Baekhyun continues walking with his shoulders drooping limply. His mind has long gone floating to different place and he is so immersed in looking at the wet road blankly, not being aware of his surrounding.

That's, when Baekhyun slowly thinks that he doesn't get rained anymore but the sight in front of him is still the opposite. Baekhyun blinks once, twice, and looks up to realize that there's the same umbrella he brought earlier above his head and Baekhyun widens his eyes. He abruptly turns around, yelping when there's another figure. He opens and closes his mouth, still unable to get over the fact that..

.. Chanyeol was running through the rain with this umbrella to fetch him..

" If you refuse to take this umbrella alone," Chanyeol states not letting Baekhyun to speak first, " We will settle this together."

Baekhyun swears he wants to say something because the umbrella is small and Chanyeol's height doesn't help. Hundred of words in his head are running but none of them are spoken. He is stuck at the reality that Chanyeol pulls him closer and makes sure that Baekhyun is protected enough under the umbrella. Chanyeol glances at the dumbstruck expression on Baekhyun's face and Baekhyun swears again he sees a very thin smile on Chanyeol's graceful lips. They spend the walk in silence and Baekhyun doesn't feel uncomfortable at all. The heat from the contact between their bodies (with their clothes only as the shield) leaves Baekhyun fluttering. For the first time in his life, he meets someone with a very sincere heart, and Baekhyun can't stop himself from feeling so touched.

Baekhyun wonders if this relationship is more like.. friends rather than work.

Thinking like that makes Baekhyun unbearably happy and.. hopeful.

" There," Chanyeol is the first one who breaks the silence when they're in the doorway, " Go shower first before doing anything and dry up nicely."

A low and hesitant "yes" leaves Baekhyun's chopped lips as his gaze lowers down from Chanyeol's face to his shoulders.

 

That time Baekhyun notices that, the left part of Chanyeol's body is drenched and Baekhyun's heart flutters even more.

 

 

an: i know this is a bit short, but i promise it'll get better (hopefully). before you guys brick me, here is chanyeol with his fear of an owl