1

"Smile, Mr. Park."

Living alone from your parents who are not quite well-off makes Baekhyun have to earn money by himself.

 

It's not like Baekhyun is complaining, though, because he has the best and kindest parents ever. Baekhyun loves them, in spite of their financial circumtances. But since he can only take part-time jobs due to his on-going education, the pay doesn't support as much as Baekhyun hopes. He has to rent his sleeping place as well, which makes things a bit complicated.. to Baekhyun.

 

The only person he's been telling about this is only his best friend. Baekhyun thinks that his best friend is always that kind of person who often encourages him and always tells Baekhyun nice places to work. Even he often offers to lend Baekhyun money but the latter refuses. First, it's just too kind of him and Baekhyun doesn't have heart to burden his best friend even though Baekhyun knows how rich his best friend is. Second, it'll cause Baekhyun another problem of returning the money in the future. Baekhyun has had enough of being troubled with his draining financial state and he'd like to work his off over and over.

 

But really, when he finds himself sitting across his best friend at Starbucks, after they ended a conversation about another topic of "the best workplace with nice pay", another topic is stirred into their talk and Baekhyun is pulled into this matter deeper. He listens, actually, and pays attention to what his friend says but when the talk begins dragging a "nice pay" matter, Baekhyun's mind goes blank for a split second.

 

Baekhyun doesn't really remember how and why, but when he gets a part-time job offer with a very nice pay, he doesn't refuse it. As far as he can grasp, his friend, who's from a quite rich big family, says there's a suitable work for Baekhyun. His friend, Kyungsoo, mentions something about working in a household (which is apparently still Kyungsoo's relative) and that's when something finally hits Baekhyun.

 

" What job?"

 

Kyungsoo smiles. Baekhyun thinks Kyungsoo's eyes almost fall. He just finishes typing a text to someone and Baekhyun somehow feels he has nowhere turning back.

 

" A butler."

 

What kind of part-time job as a butler?

 

" What," His cappuccino has been long forgotten, " Seriously, Soo? If you're just joking I'll choke you-"

 

" No. I'm serious. I think you should try. You need money to pay your tuition. For someone who lives far away from his parents, I think this's perfect."

 

" Wait, Kyungsoo - "

 

" I've sent the text to the household," that's all Kyungsoo says, leaving Baekhyun's protruding tongue which was lapping his float on the cappuccino stop halfway. The smaller-eyed man coughs, close to strangling his best friend but he opts to throw a small box of tissues near him and Kyungsoo just smiles wide.

 

" Good news is you don't have to rent your place anymore because you'll be living in the household and don't worry, they are still my relatives," Kyungsoo smiles, his eyes turning into crescents and Baekhyun almost gets deceived because, holy , that seemingly-innocent smile is contagious. Yet after his mind functions again, Baekhyun's face scrunches in fear as he finally grasps the situation.

 

" Wait. What, let me sum this up," Baekhyun watches the curve of Kyungsoo's lips in horror, " You are telling me to live at a stranger's house? What's this about?"

 

" Man, i've said the family is still my relative so they won't be your strangers anymore, as time passes of course," Kyungsoo frowns, " and no, this job is not actually the exact form of being a butler. You can wear your clothes, not the butler uniform we often see on dramas. It's like.. you need to assist the second child of the family. So you can say the job is as a butler, personal assistant, whatever you want yourself to be called with."

 

" O.. kay? Like a babysitter?"

 

Kyungsoo's expression softens, but the softened expression doesn't give you a feeling of being reassured. It's like, he's giving Baekhyun a mix of sympathy and encouragement.

 

" Well, the.. um, not too good news is, it's not the same as a babysitter."

 

Baekhyun frowns.

 

" I'm assigning you to assist and serve the second child of Park household," he says slowly, " and it's "he".  Six months younger than you, actually."

 

 

 

~

 

 

Baekhyun drops his backpack onto the floors as he reaches his dull apartment, sinking his face into his palm as he recalls Kyungsoo's words.

 

He was trying to refuse the job and push all matters back to Kyungsoo because he clearly didn't want to be involved into this, but Kyungsoo shrieks and begs Baekhyun to accept the job.

 

" I've told him - the head of the household! He's my grandpa's brother, so please please please accept this or else I'll get punished!"

 

" Holy Do Kyungsoo, you caused this and if you want to up the problems, don't drag me along with you!"

 

" The pay is really nice," Kyungsoo stares as him, sympathetically, and Baekhyun can feel his upper body jerk at the intense gaze. Kyungsoo leans in and whispers. Baekhyun widens his eyes.

 

, the amount of pay offered is damn nice.

 

" You don't really need to do anything, for God's sake. You just have to assist him. He's still in college, so you don't have to imagine about doing complicated business thing because heck, it doesn't make any difference to being a butler except you don't have to wear the uniforms, and you can still attend college!"

 

" .. It's like being a maid."

 

" Exactly. But the term of "maid" sounds so feminine and he doesn't have maids to serve him alone. All maids serve the head of the household because he refuses them. Practically, you're the butler for him only. That sounds good even though the mental image of the chain of control in serving the household is a bit weird, right? That's because you're only to assist one family member. And please, since this also helps your best friend from getting punished by grandpa, I can assure you that you can handle this job pretty good - and no, Byunbaek, don't freak yourself out! This job is not like in those erted stories where they have to please the masters because this job is purely. about. serving. and. assisting. my. relative. Sweet Jesus."

 

Baekhyun still remains silent and Kyungsoo begins to feel frustrated.

 

" Okay, two weeks trial." Kyungsoo promises, " If you're uncomfortable with the job, you can resign. That's all."

 

 

and that's how Baekhyun ends up agreeing with Kyungsoo's plea.

 

The pale man sighs. He drags his feet heavily to his room and changes his clothes. He pounces into the mattress and Baekhyun remembers again that Kyungsoo told him to start working (and living) in the Park household three days from now. He squints his eyes over his peripheral sight. He doesn't have many belongings to begin with, so it'll be easy for him to move out.

 

Baekhyun makes a mental note to murder Kyungsoo if the job doesn't turn out as good as he, at least, hopes for now.

 

 

Little did he know that, Kyungsoo has planned this a bit long before, and the doe-eyed man knows that Baekhyun is the perfect candidate for this job.

 

 

~

 

 

" I don't like darkness," he thinks, walking silently across his room and he stops by at the huge window. The long curtain has been long spread apart, allowing him to watch the dark sky and heavy rain pouring down onto the ground.

 

" I don't like silence."

 

" I don't like rain."

 

His fingers are crawling over the dewy glass and he wipes it with his sleeve, giving him a more vivid view of heavy clouds and the cold night.

 

It's been eight years since that and his heart can't let go of the memories.

 

He can't forgive himself.

 

" It's all my fault," he whispers.

 

Every time, when it rains, the sky turns dark, and the ground is drenched, he can't stop blaming himself. The words of blame are always spilled out of his dry lips easily, in the same rhythm with the falling droplets of the rain.

 

When the rain stops and the sky becomes clear again, he goes back to the same old routine; trying to meet up with other people's expectation, because it's all he can do for now, so he can come clean after the sin he did years ago.

 

" It was not a sin," a part of his heart says, " It was just an accident."

 

But most of the part of his heart disagrees, and he clenches his fist tightly. The fist is trailing up the surface of the cold window, erasing the dew and his heart sinks even more as he remembers that day when much clearer view of the rain comes to his sight.

 

It was also raining hard and the sky was too dark, like now.

 

And he still can't forgive himself.

 

But the sky would always rain heavily again, and at that time, he still feels not deserved to be forgiven.

 

Nothing - no one - can fix this broken part of himself, he repeats all over again, in the silence of four broken-white walls surrounding him in coldness.

 

 

~

 

 

Baekhyun is that kind of everyone's friend, apparently.

 

His jokes are funny, his smile is blatantly wonderful, and his voice enlightens up people around him. In the other words, he's the mood-maker and he has a good heart. It's like his existence itself is a mood-altering, capable to make people feel happier when he's around. He's just not fortunate enough at finding a good workplace with decent pay, after all.

 

But on the third day since his conversation with Kyungsoo, his smile turns into a pout and his brows furrow deeply. His classmates are turning around to check on him because Baekhyun becomes quieter than usual and they are wondering why. Even when Baekhyun gets a red mark on his exam, he doesn't get stressed so much. He'd always grin stupidly and his eyes smile as well.

 

Today is exceptionally different, and Baekhyun can't stop his mind from drifting away to the thought of "what will my job feel like later" or something.

 

He has got the necessary procedures of moving out done and he already gets his belongings packed. He only needs to fetch them from his locker after the classes today end and go to the address that Kyungsoo gave him this morning.

 

Everything seems nice and well-prepared but Baekhyun still feels something off. He knows that maybe the household he'll be working in is damn rich because the second child even needs someone as his assistant (or butler, maid, whatever) but for what reason?

 

Then when something hits Baekhyun, he sloppily fishes out his phone of his jeans pocket and texted Kyungsoo.

 

Hey has my master later (omg did i just call him master) had butler(s) b4?

 

Minutes later, there comes a quick reply.

 

Yup, but they didn't fit into the job.

 

Baekhyun gulps.

 

But why.

 

Another reply.

 

Personal reasons? I think he'll like you, though. He's kind, don't worry.

 

Baekhyun's curiosity doesn't fade away, still.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

One thing Kyungsoo likes about Baekhyun's personality is, he's really a bright person.

 

He never thinks his life is unfortunate. Baekhyun prefers to say that the world always goes up and down. The wheel is spinning, and that's all matters to Baekhyun. He's quite optimistic and cheerful, that way he can lessen his problems. Baekhyun readily accept everything that comes to him and he's nowhere from a judging type of person. He's a very thankful person, kind, funny, but a hard worker as well.

 

When he heard that the Park household needs an assistant for the second child, his mind immediately flew to Baekhyun. He knows that Baekhyun will suit the job better than the previous butlers because, somehow he has this optimism where the second child will definitely need Baekhyun.

 

Kyungsoo's thick lips curve up and he has a spark of hope.

 

He hasn't lost his faith, yet.

 

 

~

 

 

Baekhyun can feel his jaws drop as his eyes stare at the huge mansion in front of him. His legs turn jelly and his knees go weaker as he tries to proceed the situation now. He's going to work at this unbelievable size of house and Baekhyun is nothing but a commoner. Baekhyun chokes down his saliva halfway in his throat and searches for the bell. As he spots the metallic button, his fingers shakily pushes it and jerks up when a speaker next to the bell lets out a noise.

 

" This is Jinki Lee. May I help you?"

 

Baekhyun yelps when he hears that the receiver over there speaks in English. Baekhyun stutters, all English lessons he has been taking up are gone instantly.

 

" I'm.. Korean..? Byun Baekhyun.. the new assistant.. and friend of Kyungsoo.." Baekhyun tries to remember what's to tell from Kyungsoo earlier. He has to mention Kyungsoo's name and for what he comes to the household. The receiver chuckles amusedly and finally speaks in Korean, much to Baekhyun's relief.

 

" Oh, you're Byun Baekhyun-ssi. I'll open the gate and you can walk to the front door. I'll meet you there."

 

Baekhyun stupidly nods, forgetting the fact that this Jinki person is unable to see him.

 

Suddenly the gate is automatically opened and Baekhyun shrieks, feeling his heart almost drop dead as he watches how the gate slides apart and Baekhyun makes another mental note to tell about this to Kyungsoo, even though Baekhyun knows that Kyungsoo will most likely think of him as a fool. Baekhyun carefully walks in, looking at the trees and well-cut thickets. Some of beautiful flowers are present as well, and Baekhyun realizes how small he feels now stepping at such a huge mansion here.

 

He snaps another bell on the front door and not too long after, someone opens it. A man with white skin and squishy face, small eyes, and wide smile greets him warmly.

 

" Good afternoon, Baekhyun-ssi. I'm Lee Jinki, the chief of all maids here, but I mainly serve the head of this household, Park Yoonsoo," Jinki says clearly, " and you're going to be in charge of taking care the second child of Park family, am I right?"

 

Baekhyun nods dumbly. He is dazed by how magnificent the interior of this mansion is.

 

" Uh, yeah, I'm Byun Baekhyun, Jinki-ssi.. Nice to meet you.. and.." Baekhyun's eyes trail down Jinki's uniform. It's like what a proper butler would usually wear, but Jinki suddenly laughs.

 

" I've heard it from Sir Yoonsoo. Kyungsoo has told him that someone is finally assigned to serve young master as his part-time job and also he is still able to attend his college. Don't worry, unlike us, you don't have to wear this uniform. Ando also you can call yourself butler, manservant, assistant, whatever you want. Even though it means there'd be two butlers in this house, which also means you and me, don't worry about it too much. We have slightly a different task, you know." his gentle voice reassures him and somehow Baekhyun feels two times more relaxed. They waltz into the house and through a quite long corridor. Jinki tells him shortly about the background of Park family and Baekhyun blinks in surprise when he knows that the head of this household is apparently the CEO of Park corp, a company with one of the biggest chains of business in South Korea. He has to serve the second child of the family, whose name is Park Chanyeol.

 

That name leaves a warm tinge of sensation in his heart, and Baekhyun prays that the son of Park family he's going to assist is nowhere near the 'douche' term.

 

" He's a bit cold and doesn't smile often.." Jinki explains, and Baekhyun notices a hint of sadness when Jinki says it, " but he's really a good man. He just doesn't show his expression too much. He won't be troubling you."

 

" But if he's a good man.." Baekhyun finds himself unable to stop asking this, " Why did the past assistants quit their job?"

 

Jinki smiles.

 

" Because young master is really kind but he doesn't really smile and gives a cold feeling when you're near him, it became somewhat a burden or they didn't take their work seriously so a strong warning arrived or they just resigned within a couple of weeks," Jinki says, " We always hire those who work sincerely not because of the nice pay only, but they're really prepared for this job. You know, there are some people who will quit their jobs instantly because they feel uncomfortable despite how good the pay is. Most of the past assistants quitted because they could not establish a good work relationship with young master. He's a bit reserved and quiet type, that's why."

 

Baekhyun only nods again, which only the God knows for xth time, and grasps the information given quickly because he will have to deal with this second child soon.

 

Suddenly Jinki stops and turns his heel. " Are you afraid of young master already, because what I told, Baekhyun-ssi?"

 

" Umm.. no?" Baekhyun tilts his head, " it's not like we can force everyone to be extrovert like me.. or Kyungsoo. I believe he just needs someone who understands his personal space and thoughts?"

 

Jinki stares at his, almost like he can see into Baekhyun's soul, and the latter stutters. " W-what?"

 

But he smiles warmly, a little bit warmer than the smiles he gave earlier, which makes Baekhyun's heart relaxed even more.

 

" You're going to be fine," he concludes, " I can see it."

 

Baekhyun frowns, but when he is about to ask, a huge family picture hanging on the white wall catches his attention.

 

" Oh, is that the picture of Park family?" Baekhyun excitedly asks, " And that small boy was Park Chanyeol? So cute!"

 

" Yeah," Jinki laughs, " and the man around his fifties is the president of Park Corp and the head of this household. He's Chanyeol's grandfather."

 

" All right," Baekhyun smiles, " He looks like a kind and warm person. I can't wait to meet him. How about Young Master Chanyeol's parents and.. wait, is that his sister?"

 

Jinki's laugh disappears and his face becomes a bit stoned, surprising the smaller man.

 

" They've passed away, leaving the second child as the only member of this household along with President Park."

 

Baekhyun's eyes widen, almost can't believe what he just heard and he wonders if Jinki lies to him but the serious gaze striking into him makes Baekhyun realize that as the main manservant in this household, he won't dare to tell him lies about the family he's been serving for years.

 

Slowly, Baekhyun can sense it, about what kind of situation he'll be stepping in.

 

" Jinki?"

 

A deep timbre voice snaps both of them back to the reality and turn their heads together at the third person there. Baekhyun sees a tall man, with fair skin, big eyes, sharp nose, and brown silky short hair that reaches his neck. He's surprisingly so good-looking, and he is watching both of them in a flat expression. He wears a fitted white shirt and washed jeans that wrap his long legs, with a sling bag on his shoulder.

 

Who is he?

 

" Ah, Young Master," Jinki smiles, " Welcome home."

 

Baekhyun silently gasps and his nostrils flare at the words. Young Master?

 

He's Park Chanyeol?

 

" Yeah.." the rich voice pours down and rips away Baekhyun's concentration once again as their eyes meet. " And excuse me.. you are..?"

 

" Your new assistant, young master," Jinki explains, " His name is Byun Baekhyun."

 

Baekhyun hurriedly bows and introduces himself smoothly, not wanting to make himself look fool than he already is. " I'm looking forward to work under your care, Young Master." somehow, the appellative doesn't disgust or creep him out as he thought it'd be. It fits Chanyeol, and Young Master words are rolling out smoothly of his lips.

 

He's so graceful and beautiful, Baekhyun thinks.

 

" Oh really? Then welcome to the Park household, Byun Baekhyun. I hope we can have a good relationship while you're working here."

 

Baekhyun swears Chanyeol's gaze lightens up as those big eyes form a hint of eyesmile. Baekhyun can not tell how perfect Park Chanyeol is, but what makes him ponder is, he really doesn't smile and how the brown orbs contain a lonely feeling.

 

Why does Baekhyun feel a bit pained when he looks into those beautiful big eyes?

 

" Yes, thank you.." Baekhyun mutters quietly, almost inaudible to be heard, which is returned with a small nod and then he walks past them, excusing himself to his room and leaves the other two males alone again. Baekhyun watches his broad back, until Chanyeol is disappeared from his sight.

 

With that, it finally marks the first encounter between Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

a/n: please tell me what you guys think. i seriously wrote a piece of crap omg