Chapter 7: Confusion

Little Red Strings [HIATUS]

 

“That’s not very nice.”  A voice says from the door of his office, prompting Yunho to lazily look up from the file that he’s reading.  Jungsu shakes his head at the Cardiologist, noting the other’s rubber shoe-clad feet that are resting on top of the wooden office table with his free hand.

“Hello, Jungsu hyung.”  He greets, closing the folder containing the file and waving the said folder in the air.  “Is there anything I can help you with?”

“How about you begin by taking your feet off the table?”  Jungsu replies, gesturing to the said table.  “It’s very unsightly and unlike you.”

“Ah, sorry.”  Yunho replies before complying.  The Cardiologist fixes his appearance as the other doctor plops himself down on one of the chairs in front of Yunho’s office table and places another file on top it.  They sit in silence for a few minutes, letting the sound of the intercom paging a ‘Cho Kyuhyun seonsaeng-nim’ wash over them.

“Hm…” Jungsu says after hearing the announcement, “I wonder why.”

“Probably that stabbing case.”  Yunho replies nonchalantly.  Jungsu looks at the other in confusion.

“Stabbing case?”

“Lee Jinki.  Male.  Born December 14, 1989.  24 years old.  Goes to the same university as my dongsaengs; Child, Family, and Housing Studies major.”  Yunho lists quickly, pausing a little to catch his breath.  “His housemate, Kim Kibum, found him last night in front of their penthouse door with a stab wound to the stomach.”

“Penthouse?”

“Yes, penthouse.”  Yunho replies, staring at the other doctor.  “His family’s pretty well off, so he and his best friend gets to live in the family penthouse for free.”

Jungsu nods.  “That must be nice.”

“But why are you here right now, hyung?”  Yunho replies.  “I don’t think you went here to make small talk.”

Jungsu gestures to the file he placed on top of Yunho’s table.  “This is the official medical report regarding the case of the last victim of the bus accident.”

Yunho straightens up in his office chair, all traces of disinterest gone as he takes the file, regarding his hyung curiously.  “But why did you bring this here?”

“A little bird told me when we were on the way to the OR last night that you’re interested in that case.”  Jungsu replies with a little smile.  Yunho scoffs.

“Is this ‘little bird’ a General Practitioner that goes by the name of Cho Kyuhyun?”

“Please pretend that I did not tell you anything.”  Jungsu replies, causing Yunho to laugh before nodding.  “You need to return that to me by tomorrow, since the briefing with the police will take place this Saturday and I need to study everything.  Which reminds me, you need to be there.”

“This Saturday?”  Yunho asks, and Jungsu nods once in reply.  “But Chanyeol…”

“That’s this Saturday?  Dang.”  Jungsu says before standing up and crossing his arms over his chest, in deep thought.

“It’s okay, though, hyung.  I can always tell…”

“No, you have to be there for Chanyeol.  You’ve missed all his other performances before, so you have to go this time.”  Jungsu replies, staring at his colleague.  “I’ll take care of it, don’t worry.”

“Okay, if you say so.”  Yunho replies before flipping open the file.  Jungsu makes his way to the door, but stops and turns to look at the other before exiting the room.

“Just out of curiosity,” Jungsu says, catching Yunho’s attention, “why are you interested in that particular case?”

“Uh, that…” Yunho replies, unsure of what to say. 

“Yunho-yah?”

“It’s because of Minseok.”  Yunho replies, voice so soft that Jungsu had to strain his ears to hear it in the quiet room.

“Minseok?”  The older doctor asks in confirmation.

“Yes, Minseok.”

 

 

 

 

 

“So… I met someone yesterday.”  Luhan says, playfully whispering the words by Kris’ right ear.  The other huffs before shutting his book and glaring at his housemate, only to find him grinning at him.

“You look like the Cheshire Cat with that grin.”  He comments, causing the other to glare at him.

“I do not!”  Luhan replies with a huff.  “If there’s anyone who smiles like the Cheshire Cat, then that’s most probably Chanyeol.”

“Chanyeol?”  Kris asks, eyebrows furrowed.

“Park Chanyeol, Classical and Traditional Music Major.  You might have heard of him before because he plays the double bass in the university’s orchestra?”  Luhan replies, eyes wide at his housemate. 

Kris shakes his head.

“He’s Minseok’s dongsaeng and the two of them live in the same apartment.”  Luhan smugly says. 

“Yah!  Why didn’t you say that earlier!”  Kris replies, rolling his eyes at his gēgē.

“But where’s the fun in that?”  Luhan replies before taking a seat beside Kris on the living room couch.  “Besides, your face looks funny when you’re thinking too hard.”

“How do you know Minseok-ssi anyway?”  Kris replies, ignoring his housemate’s comment altogether.

“Like I said, I met someone yesterday; and by that someone, I meant Minseok!”  Luhan exclaims with another Cheshire Cat-like grin.  “We literally bumped into each other in a corridor because we both weren’t looking at where we were going.”

“Figures.”  Kris murmurs, once again rolling his eyes at Luhan.

“I found out that he lives in the same apartment with Minnie, and that Park Chanyeollie also lives with them.”  Luhan continues before clapping his hands in amazement.  “Such a small world!”

“Minnie… Choi Minho?  Your teammate in the university soccer team?  That Minnie?”  Kris asks, confused.

“Yes, that Minnie.  Who else do I call ‘Minnie’ anyway?” 

“Okay.”  Kris replies, nodding.  “So what does Park Chanyeol-ssi have to do with you meeting Minseok-ssi?”

“Well, because I walked home with them yesterday!  We had to wait for an hour for Chanyeollie to finish his class with Park Yoochun gyoh-soo-nim.”  Luhan replies.

“So you’re… friends with them now?”  Kris asks, unsure of what his gēgē’s relationship with his Calculus classmate and his classmate’s housemates.

“Yeah, you can say that.”  Luhan replies, a small smile on his face before suddenly clapping his hands together.  “Oh, speaking of which!  Chanyeollie and the others invited me to their performance this Saturday at the D’or Hotel.  I told them that I’d ask my roommate if he wants to come too.  Don’t worry, it’s free!”

“Sure, why not.”  Kris replies, shrugging.  “I don’t have anything to do this weekend, anyway.”

“Ah, Chanyeollie’s going to be so happy!”  Luhan replies, whipping out his phone to send a text message.  Probably to this ‘Park Chanyeol’, Kris thinks.

“They were really worried because Kim Ryeowook seonsaeng-nim gave him too much complimentary tickets that he’s wasn’t sure that he’ll be able to use all of it, and he doesn’t want them to just go to waste.”  Luhan continues after he sends his text, putting back his phone in his pocket.  “But!”

“But?”  Kris replies, confused by Luhan’s sudden exclamation of the conjunction.

“But do you know what else I found out?”  Luhan replies, voice sly.

“What else could you have possibly found out yesterday?”  Kris asks, exasperated.  “And how do you even find the time to go gallivanting around talking to everyone during weekdays?”

“It’s my talent.”  Luhan smugly replies.  “Besides, it’s not my fault that I have many acquaintances and sources of information.  It’s kinda your fault, actually.”

Kris sighs, rubbing his forehead.  “Okay, so what else did you find out?”

Luhan’s Cheshire Cat grin returns at the question.

“The whereabouts of a certain Oh Sehun.”

 

 

 

 

 

Minseok sees Chanyeol smile at his phone’s display screen and immediately goes to the younger’s side.

“What’s up, Chanyeollie?”  Minseok asks, looking over the taller youngster’s shoulder.

“Luhan hyung just texted me that his housemate agreed to come this Saturday.”  Chanyeol replies, smiling at the other.  “All of the complimentary tickets that Kim seonsaeng-nim gave me is now accounted for.”

“Ah, that’s good.”  Minseok replies, watching the younger sit back down on his bed and once again fiddle with his guitar.  He takes a look at his own bed—at the blueprints scattered all over and the thick Statistics book by his pillow—before deciding to sit beside the younger.

Chanyeol stops playing ‘Falling Slowly’ on his guitar, startled by a finger suddenly poking his left cheek.  “Hyung,” he asks, not even looking to his side, “what are you doing?”

“You’re smiling more once again.”  Minseok replies before once again poking his dongsaeng’s cheek.  “I’m glad.”

“What do you mean I’m smiling again?  Do I not know how to smile, hyung?”  Chanyeol replies, finally facing Minseok, causing the other to remove his finger from the younger’s cheek.

“You’ve been sad these past two days, Chanyeollie.”  Minseok replies, this time placing a hand on the younger’s shoulder.  “At first I thought it’s because you’re tired, but you’re not.  I also thought you’re just quiet because you’re still mad at me for making you sleep, but then I don’t think it’s that either.”

“Don’t get me wrong, hyung.”  Chanyeol replies with a small smile, eyes suddenly avoiding his hyung’s.  “I’m still annoyed by what you did.”

“So if it’s not that, then what is it?”  Minseok asks, squeezing Chanyeol’s shoulder.  The younger finally looks back up at Minseok, and he sees nothing but worry and fear in his hyung’s eyes.  He puts down his guitar and sighs

“I’m,” Chanyeol begins with a shaky voice, before taking a deep breath to calm himself down, “I’m worried, hyung.”

“About this Saturday’s performance?”  Minseok asks, and gains a shake of a head in response.

“About Sehun.”  Chanyeol replies, and Minseok nods his head solemnly.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he’ll be fine.”  He replies, once again squeezing the younger’s shoulder.  Chanyeol shakes his head in reply.

“I know that he’ll be fine, this is Sehun we’re talking about.”  Chanyeol replies, looking back at the guitar on his lap.  “I just don’t understand why he did that?  Why did he have to disappear?  Doesn’t he know how worried everyone else is?”

“I’m pretty sure there’s a reason why he disappeared, Yeol-ah.”  Minseok replies.  “You must be pretty stressed with all the gossiping going around you.”

“I don’t mind that.  I completely understand why everyone would think that I had something to do with Sehun’s disappearance, since it coincides with the time I skipped school.”  Chanyeol replies, looking at his right little finger.  “I’m worried about Baekhyun, though.  He’s the one who’s already getting annoyed at everything that’s going on, and he doesn’t even know all of it.”

“And also because you and Sehunnie are good friends.”  Minseok replies, nodding at the thought.  “I don’t blame Baek for getting annoyed, I would too if I were in his position.”

 

 

 

 

 

“YAH!  OH SEHUN! Show yourself!  Everyone’s getting pretty annoying here already!”

“Sehun!  Come on, give us some life signs!  Everyone’s gossiping about you and bothering me and Chanyeollie!”

“Sehun.  Just… just come back.  I won’t be mad anymore.”

“Sehunnie.  Just… at least give us a sign that you’re safe.  Please.”

He deletes all the messages, hand trembling.

“I’m sorry, Baek hyung; but I have to do this.  Just wait a little, just a little more.”

 

 

 

 

A/N: Aaaaand drum roll!

I just added another mystery, didn't I?  Don't worry, there's more to come. 

But! But! But!

Next chapter, one (or two, depends on how it turns out tbh) of the mysteries will be solved!  Finally!

However, I do not know when I will be able to update, since I can feel that my researcher duties will be acting up again starting tomorrow.  I wish that I will still have time to write, because I'm really excited to write the next chapters.  So please wish me luck, and hope that I will be able to update immediately.

Until the next update! 

XOXO