Chapter 3: Sweet Dreams

Little Red Strings [HIATUS]

 

 

“Yunho-hyung?”

The surprised voice catches his attention, despite the multitude of squeaks of rubber soles against the floor.  Stopping in his tracks in the middle of the hall, Yunho turns around, letting his colleagues leave him behind in a flurry of scrubs and coats.

“Kyuhyunnie.”  Yunho replies, calmly walking towards the other man.  The squeaks stop, signifying that the doctors and nurses have arrived inside their patient’s room.  Replacing the sound of rubber soles is the sound of multiple life support machines, barely audible under the blaring alarm signifying a patient’s nearby demise.

“Hyung, what are you doing here?  And why did you stop?  Aren’t you supposed to be in that room?”  The other replies, now standing right in front of Yunho.

“I stopped because you called me, Kyuhyunnie.”  Yunho replies, eyeing the other’s pale complexion and chapped lips.  “You look like you should be in one of our hospital beds.  Are you alright?”

“I haven’t been able to sleep properly since the patients from the accident arrived.”  The younger replies, running a hand through his dark locks.  “Hyung, aren’t you supposed to be at home?”

“Jungsu-hyung called me a while ago and asked me if I could come and check one of the patients from the accident.”  Yunho replies before his pager vibrates, signaling him that he has a message.

“I have to get to the patient’s room.  Follow me.”  Yunho says, gesturing for Kyuhyun to follow him, before turning sharply and starting for the patient’s room.  He hears Kyuhyun follow him, rubber soles of his shoes squeaking as it rubs against the linoleum floor as the General Practitioner scrambles to follow him.

“Hyung, how is Minseokkie?”  Kyuhyun asks once he reaches his senior.  Yunho spares him a glance over his shoulder before turning back to put his attention on the corridor they’re in.  The sounds of an alarm and people’s frantic voices start to get louder as the two go further into the Intensive Care Unit.

“Still unconscious.  Chanyeollie is watching over him.”  Yunho replies, shoulders dropping for a second before straightening once again.  This, however, does not escape his dongsaeng’s eyes.

“And Chanyeol-ah?”  Kyuhyun asks, suddenly afraid of the answer.  Yunho stops in his tracks and turns around to face the younger.  He runs a hand through his auburn locks, messing up the previously properly combed hair.

“I think… I… Kyuhyunnie, do you think you can stop by again tonight?”  Yunho asks, and he suddenly looks so tired and sad to the younger’s eyes.

“For Chanyeol-ah?”  Kyuhyun replies, heart racing.  Out of all of his hyung’s brothers, Chanyeol has always been his favorite since the two share a common love: music.  The only difference is that Kyuhyun chose to give up his love in favor of his parents while Chanyeol got to live a life with his love.

“Yes, for Chanyeollie.”  Yunho replies with a sigh.

“Okay then, hyung.  What do I—“

“YUNHO-YAH!”  A familiar voice suddenly calls, and the two fix their attention to the man running towards them.  This prompts the two to jog towards the newcomer.

“Jungsu-hyung, what wrong?”  Yunho asks once he and Kyuhyun are within earshot.

“Yunho-yah, hurry!  We need a Cardiologist in the patient’s room!”  Jungsu replies before grabbing Yunho’s wrist and dragging him towards the patient’s room, with Kyuhyun hot on their heels.

 

 

 

 

 

“Oppa, hurry!  Please!”  The voice over the cell phone pleads and he pushes his legs to run faster.

“I’m going my fastest!  I just don’t know if I can make it!”  He replies, tightening his grip on his phone.  Behind him, he can hear the sound of heels clinking against concrete, assuring him that his sister is not that far behind.

“Oppa, please.”  The voice pleads, and he feels a sharp pain in his chest.  “I don’t… I don’t know what to do…”

“Okay, okay.  Just…”  He begins, rounding a corner.  He can already see the entrance to the subway and his heart skips a beat.  “…calm down, okay?  I’m near the entrance now, just hang on.  Please.”

“Okay.”  The voice, thick with tears, replies.  “I’m almost boarding.  You might miss it.”

“I’ll be there.”  He replies.  With that, he ends the call and turns off his phone before running faster, praying to every deity out there that he’ll make it on time.

 

 

 

 

 

“Time of death, 2:19 PM.”

Yunho forcefully removes the latex gloves off his hands before once again running a hand through his hair.  He feels a familiar hand on his shoulder, and is greeted with the sight of an exhausted Kyuhyun after he turns around.

“I’m sorry, Yunho-hyung.  This is the patient that Jungsu wanted you to check, am I right?”  Kyuhyun asks, his voice no more than a whisper.  Slowly, the medical team that worked on the patient shuffled out of the room save for Jungsu and the Resident Nurses who are currently disconnecting the patient from the machinery.

“Yeah.”  Yunho replies before stepping out of the room.  “I’m just gonna go get some fresh air.”  With that, he leaves the two doctors inside the room with the patient’s body and the RNs.

“Jungsu, something’s bothering Yunho-hyung.  Something about this patient, am I right?”  Kyuhyun asks, turning to the other doctor in the room, voice extremely inquisitive.

“Yeah.”  Jungsu replies, eyeing the RNs that were now exiting the room, leaving just him and Kyuhyun with the body.  “This patient was the last surviving patient of the bus accident.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Oppa, what’s wrong?”  A familiar voice asks, startling Minseok.  He looks away from the screen of his phone and comes face to face with his sister.

“Nothing’s wrong.  Why do you ask?”  Minseok replies, stealing a glance to his phone’s screen.  His sister just sighs and flails her arms in exasperation.

“That’s what I was talking about!”  She exclaims before pointing to his phone.  “You’ve been alternately staring at that thing and the wall clock for an hour now.  Are you expecting a call?”

“No.  Maybe?  Who knows?”  Minseok replies before tossing his phone to the other end of the couch.  “I just have this feeling, okay?”

“Feeling?”  His sister replies, taking his phone before sitting down next to him.

“Yeah.  This… feeling that something bad is going to happen.”  Minseok replies, a frown on his face.  “Do you understand what I’m trying to say?”

“I guess.”  His sister replies, playing with his phone by spinning it on the living room coffee table.  “Is it that tight feeling in your chest that makes it harder to breathe?  Or the one wherein there’s just something wrong with your stomach to the point that you don’t know what to do with yourself anymore?”

“Both.”  Minseok replies.

“That bad?”  His sister asks, and she receives a nod in return.  “But then, how come you were staring at your phone?”

“I get that feeling whenever I see my phone.  Actually, I’ve been getting ‘the feeling’ since I woke up this morning.  It just intensifies as whenever I catch sight of my phone. I don’t know, really.  I have no idea what to expect but I can’t help doing it.”

“Do you think it has something to do with someone you know?”  His sister asks, and he freezes at the question.

“What do you mean?”

“Even though cell phones nowadays have more and more functions, it’s core purpose is still for communication.  We get to talk to people that are far from us using our phones, so maybe that’s why you’re getting ‘the feeling’ when you see it?  Because it might have something to do with someone you know?”

“I hope not.”  Minseok replies; however, deep down, he knows that his sister just hit the bull’s eye.

“Well, me too.  If it’s someone you know, then most probably it’s someone I also know.”  His sister replies, shrugging.  Just then, the phone on the coffee table vibrates as the familiar tone of Usher’s “Caught Up” reverberates through the room.  The siblings look at each other nervously before Minseok gets his phone and checks the screen to see whom the caller is.

“Who is it?”  His sister asks once she sees her brother’s confused face.

“Unknown number.”  He replies before hitting the ‘accept’ button.

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyung?”  He turns his head to the left at the soft call.  The bloodshot eyes and rumpled hair of his dongsaeng greet him, and his heart aches knowing that he’s the cause of his dongsaeng’s pain.

“Yeol-ah.”  He replies, voice still rough from not being used for a period of time.  He recognizes the smell of bubblegum and fabric softener, signifying that he’s in their shared room.  Orange hues light up their otherwise dark room, symptomatic of the sun’s ongoing retreat.

“Minseok-hyung, how do you feel?”  The younger asks, his usually booming voice reduced to a gentle whisper. 

“Tired but fine.”  Minseok replies, as he takes notice of Chanyeol’s current state: bloodshot eyes, messy hair, pale complexion, chapped lips, and dark eyebags.

“When did you last sleep?”  He asks as he attempts to lift his arms, only for a small pain at his right hand to stop him from doing so.  He looks at his hand, and is surprised to find a needle attached to a still running IV.

“Two days ago.”  Chanyeol replies, eyes downcast.  Minseok sighs, wishing, not for the first time, that he didn’t turn out the way he is after what happened two years ago.

“So I’ve been out for two days?”  He asks, and Chanyeol nods in return.  The younger is still not looking at him, still kneeling beside his bed.  He tries to sit up, and the other helps by raising his torso and putting a few pillows behind him to serve as a cushion before letting him rest against them.

“Chanyeol-ah.”  Minseok calls, but the other is still refusing to look at him.  “Chanyeol-ah, look at me.”  He commands before slowly and with much difficulty cupping the younger’s cheeks and raising the other’s face to look at him.  He is confronted with teary eyes that reflect worry, fatigue, and fear.

“I’m sorry, Chanyeol-ah.”  Minseok says, voice thick with tears, as he the younger’s cheeks.  He can feel the other trembling, and the other’s breaths increase in speed.  “I know you don’t want this, but… I’m sorry.  I’m so sorry.”

With that, he puts a hand over his dongsaeng’s eyes and the other promptly passes out into his embrace.  He hums a random tune as he gently rocks their bodies, slowly feeling the other’s trembling decrease and breaths slow down until it eventually steadies.  After a few minutes, he stops humming and presses a kiss to his sleeping dongsaeng’s forehead.

“I’m sorry.  I’m sorry.  I’m sorry.  I’m sorry…”

 

 

 

 

A/N: AAAAAH I'm so sorry for the late update!  I have a lot of things going on nowadays, so I find it hard to finish my chapters.  I'm going to apologize in advance for any late updates in the future.  Speaking of updates, I will not be able to update on the last week of July until the first week of August, since those two weeks will contain the bulk of my activities.  Although things are still not final and I might end up updating after all, I thought it was proper to notify everyone in advance just in case.

Also, a BIG BIG THANK YOU to the subscribers (since I don't think I've thanked those who subscribed to this story yet)!  You guys don't know how much it means to me to see others spending their precious time to read this story. *huggles everyone*

Lastly, comments would be great.  As I said before, it's been a long time since I wrote any sort of fan fiction, so my technique is probably rusty.  Although fan fiction is generally still fiction, the way it is written is still different from the others.  There's a certain style that fics tend to have, and I think I've lost my touch when it comes to that certain style.  Comments about anything would be great, really!  Do you find this thing annoying?  Is it weird?  Interesting?  Are there any grammatical errors that the usually dazed author missed?  Just keep them coming!  They'll be greatly appreciated. :) 

See you on the next update! :D *waves*