Chapter 5: In the Darkness of the Room

Little Red Strings [HIATUS]

 

“Ah, you’re back.”

Yunho and Kyuhyun stop in their tracks, eyes wide at the sight before them.  A big bowl of soup sits on the center of the dining room table, while empty bowls stand on top of placemats by the edges of the table.  The unmistakable aroma of mushroom soup fills the air, and the two doctors’ appetites are awakened.

“Since I was out for some time, I thought I would prepare a little something to welcome everyone.”  The familiar voice says, and the two doctors look up to face the source.  Dressed in a pair of sweatpants and an oversized plain white shirt that is almost completely covered by a green apron, Minseok stands in front of them, holding a couple of spoons.

“Minseokkie!”  Yunho exclaims, before approaching the younger and engulfing him in a hug.  “How long have you been awake?”

“A few hours.”  Minseok replies, hugging back the doctor.  “I hope the soup will be enough so that Kyuhyun hyung can have some too.”

“I brought coffee, Minseokkie.”  Kyuhyun replies, raising the brown paper bag.  “Where shall I put it?”

“Ah, you didn’t have to!”  Minseok replies, taking the bag from Kyuhyun and dragging him towards the table.  “Please take a seat while I prepare something for both of you.”

Yunho and Kyuhyun take their seats on the dining table as Minseok disappears into the kitchen, paper bag in hand.  The two hear footsteps from the direction of the bedrooms, and a few thuds afterwards.

Yunho lets out a laugh.  “Chanyeol’s probably doing some cleaning after a few days of sticking beside Minseok’s bedside.”

Kyuhyun nods.  “I hope he’s alright, though.  Should he really be doing strenuous activities after not resting for so long?”

“Should Minseok really be doing strenuous activities after passing out and being unconscious for days?”  Yunho counters, raising an eyebrow at his dongsaeng.

Kyuhyun hums in agreement before he stands up.  “I’m going to check up on Chanyeol.”  He says, gesturing towards the direction of the bedrooms.

“You know which room is his?”  Yunho asks and Kyuhyun nods in return before leaving the dining area.  Yunho starts to hear the clanking of glass coming from the direction of the kitchen.  He pushes in his chair after standing up, then makes his way to the kitchen.  He hears another thud, however, before he reaches the place where his dongsaeng is.

“Seriously, Chanyeol…”

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol hears it first, the sound not fully registering in his tired brain.

He remembers his Minseok hyung waking up, but he does not remember lying down on his bed and falling asleep.

But this is hyung’s bed, he reasons in his head, it smells like baby powder.  He feels a light breeze on his face, and wonders if his hyung forgot to close the window once again.

Then, he hears it again—the sound of someone trying his best not to make too much noise as he moves about the room.  That doesn’t sound like Minseok hyung; the footsteps are too heavy.  He says, the realization slowly waking his tired mind.  And that’s not Yunho hyung either; Yunho hyung does not walk that way.

Minho hyung?  He wonders, but the sound of someone tripping and landing on the floor and a muffled cry of pain cuts his train of thought.

That’s not Minho hyung’s voice.

Worried, Chanyeol opens his eyes and tries to adjust to the darkness of the room.  Hearing someone move about beside his bed, he tries to sit up with difficulty.  However, a hand on his shoulder stops his actions.

“Don’t move.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Are you alright, Minseok?”

Minseok stops stirring coffee in his hyung’s mug and turns around to face the other.

“You left Kyuhyun hyung alone?”  He asks, worried for their guest.

“He went to check with Chanyeol.”  Yunho replies, leaning against the fridge and eyeing the younger closely.  “I asked him to come with me so that he could check on Chanyeol.”

Minseok hums in agreement before returning to his task.  “You were worried?”

“You know how Chanyeol gets when it comes to you.”  Yunho replies.  “I actually get jealous sometimes.”  He finishes with a pout.

Minseok lets out a little laugh before handing the finished mug of coffee to his hyung.  “Get Kyuhyun the dark blue one.”  Yunho instructs before sipping his coffee.

“I don’t understand it either,” Minseok starts as he rinses their dark blue mug, “I think it has something to do with who we were before what happened two years ago.”

“You think?”  Yunho replies.

“You know how my memory is.”  Minseok replies before another, much louder thud comes from the direction of the bedrooms.

“Just what is Chanyeol doing in there?”  Yunho asks, eyebrows furrowing.  Minseok whips around to face him at that comment.

“But hyung,” Minseok starts, confused, “Chanyeol is passed out on my bed.  I made sure of it.”

Yunho raises an eyebrow at this.  “You made sure of it?”

“Well…” Minseok begins, averting his eyes from his hyung, “it was the only way to get him to rest.  Like you said, you know how he gets.”

“But still, you know how he hates it when you do that.”  Yunho replies. 

“I’ll just worry about his reaction when he wakes up tomorrow.”  Minseok replies, smiling a little.  “But then who’s in there?  Kyuhyun hyung?”

Yunho shakes his head.  “We heard the sound when we were sitting in the dining area, a little after you left.  Kyuhyun went to check on Chanyeol because he thought that Chanyeol’s stressing himself after being so tired for days.  But if it’s like you said, then my only guess is… Minho?”

“But I didn’t see him come in, and I’ve been awake since this afternoon.”  Minseok replies, frowning.  “Plus, I checked all the rooms after I got up.  Only Chanyeol and I are the people here before you and Kyuhyun hyung came.”

“Maybe you didn’t notice him coming in?  You were here cooking, after all.”  Yunho suggests.

“But…” Minseok begins, but the sound of the front door opening and closing cuts him off.  The two stare at each other in surprise as the sound of footsteps become louder.  After a few seconds, Minho appears at the entrance of the kitchen, back pack still slung on his left shoulder and the strap of his gym bag on another.

“H-hyung!”  The soccer player exclaims, eyes widening at the sight of his previously unconscious hyung.  “You’re awake!”

“Wait, what’s going on?” Minho says, after a few minutes of the other two just staring at him with shock.

“Minho,” Yunho begins, voice a little shaky, “did you just arrive?”

“Yes, why?”  Minho replies, confused.  “Wait, where’s Chanyeol?”

 

 

 

 

 

Kyuhyun stops in front of Minseok and Chanyeol’s bedroom door, a hand on the doorknob.  He can hear muffled voices of the other side of the door—one belonging to Chanyeol and an unfamiliar one.

“Could it be Minho?  But that’s weird, how come his voice is different?”  He murmurs to himself, contemplating if he should knock or just barge in.

Chanyeol could be hurt, if I’m going to consider the multiple thuds from a while ago.  But, on the other hand…

His internal battle is cut off with the sound of the front door opening and closing, and the unmistakable sound of Minho’s voice exclaiming, “H-hyung!” a few seconds after.

Wait… what?!

Alarmed, he quickly opens the door and freezes at the sight before him.

Inside the bedroom is Chanyeol, being pinned down on a bed by an unknown blond-haired boy.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Aaaaand I'm late!

I'm so sorry for the late update!  I've been busy these past few weeks with my commitments so I had no time to write.  It's really hard being a researcher. *sighs*

Anyway, this concludes the story's pseudo-introduction!  As you can see, the first five chapters revolve around the single event, which is the bus accident.  Also, the events of chapters two to five occur within the same day.  I wrote it this way as the events that took place during this time frame will serve as some sort of skeleton or reference for the events to come.  Starting from the next chapter, events will occur as chronologically as possible.  Meaning, no more chapters happening within the same day whatsoever, unless it really is needed to be written that way.

Lastly, I know that a lot of you are confused as to what the hell is going on (don't worry, I am too... kinda...) but things will start progressing from the next chapter on (I hope; seriously, the chapters just write themselves tbh).  However, I cannot promise that I will be able to update as frequently as I did before, since my researcher duties are destroying my schedule. -_-

Anyway, thank you once again for reading! Once again, comments and constructive criticism are welcome!

I hope that you enjoyed reading and that you will look forward for the incoming chapters.  :D