Chapter 1: Countdown

Little Red Strings [HIATUS]

 

“Oppa?” A smooth and gentle voice calls out, almost drowning in the sound of waves crashing against the shore.

“Yes? Is something the matter?” Hands move to keep bangs against his forehead.

“Are you okay?”

The smell of the sea assaults his senses as the wind continues to mess his dark locks.  Small droplets of water land on his face as the clear seawater retreat back to the sea, leaving his feet buried beneath fine sand.  Turning his head to his left, he sees her jet-black hair being blown by the wind to cover her face.

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking you that?” He replies, raising an eyebrow.  She chuckles, and the action causes the sharp ache in his chest to return.

“You have always been more observant and knowing than anyone else I’ve ever known,” she replies, hands moving to her face, “however you’re letting a lot of things pass you by right now.”

“What do you mean?”

“Oppa,” she begins, raised hand now pulling back her hair.  Just a few more seconds and he will finally be able to see her face again.  He watches, wide-eyed, in anticipation.

Just a little more…

“You need to wake up.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Good morning, Minseok.”

The small, orange-haired boy turns around, eyes wide in surprise at the voice.  The boy sets down the box of cereal he’s holding by the sink after realizing who the intruder is.

“Ah! Good morning, Yunho-hyung!” The boy, Minseok, replies before turning back to what he’s doing.  The rustle of cereal being poured into a bowl then fills the silence after the greeting.

The man, Yunho, fully enters the kitchen and eyes the still spotless counter.  It won’t be that clean after the day is done, he muses.  He takes out a carton of milk from the refrigerator and places it on the counter before opening the lid and drinking straight out from the box.  The other occupant of the room makes his way to the counter, a bowl of cereal in his hands.

“Do you want anything, hyung? I still have to go get groceries after lunch, but I think I can improvise.”  Minseok asks, frowning at his hyung.

Yunho eyes his dongsaeng carefully.  Although still clad in sleepwear—a simple white shirt and sweats—hair still messed up, and sleep lines still on his face, Yunho thinks that the other looks too happy and energetic for such an early time. 

“Nope, I’m good.  I have to go to the office today to drop some files.  I’ll just stop by the bakery later to buy some bread and eat it on the way.”  Yunho replies, before putting back the milk carton inside the refrigerator and sneaking a glance to kitchen wall clock: 7:00AM.  “On the other hand, it’s still too early for you to be awake.  Something up later?”

The other blushes at his hyung’s question.  Despite being the second earliest riser in their little household, it is common knowledge that Minseok likes to sleep in during the weekends.  He fidgets a little, causing the cereal in the bowl he’s holding to make a soft clinking noise.

“Chanyeol-ah said that he’ll go grocery shopping with me later.”  The smaller boy replies, a gentle smile on his face.  The answer startles Yunho, and for a moment, his vision is blinded by an extremely bright shade of yellow.

“In that case,” He replies, ruffling the other’s hair before heading out of the kitchen and into his shared room, “I hope you two enjoy your time together.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Minho.”

A small grunt.

“Minho, wake up.”

Rustling of sheets, a little movement underneath the duvet.

A hand reaches out to touch the sleeping boy’s shoulder.  “Choi Minho, come on. I still have to go to the office.”

More rustling and movement, which results in someone’s patience wearing thin.

“Choi Minho! It’s already half past 11 and you’re still asleep?  Get up! Get up!”  The man shouts, coupled with a hand shaking the sleeping boy’s—Minho’s—shoulder.

The boy groans, rolls over, and gets up, all the while eyeing his hyung disdainfully.  “Hyung,” he replies, left hand rubbing his left eye, “it’s a Saturday.  Why are you going to the office?”

Yunho, now putting on a black jacket, turns to face his still sleepy dongsaeng.  “I still have to hand these in,” he replies, gesturing to the stack of papers on his table, “so that I would be able to stay in on Monday.”

“Then why wake me up so early?”  Minho asks, before finally getting up and starting to fix his messy bedding.

“Because you haven’t had breakfast yet and Minseok and Chanyeol are already preparing to go to the supermarket.  You need to at least eat something before you lounge around in bed the whole day.”  Yunho replies as he double checks his bag for his wallet.

“Chanyeol’s accompanying Minseok-hyung to the supermarket?”  Minho asks, surprise evident in his voice. 

Yunho shrugs before rummaging through one of the drawers for a pair of socks.  “He’s the one who asked Minseok, I think.  So it’s definitely out of his own volition.”

Minho looks on, stunned, as his hyung bids him goodbye before leaving the room.  He spends a few minutes just staring at the empty spot where his hyung used to be, until the sound of his phone dying startles him out of his reverie.  Grabbing his charger from his bag, he hurries to start charging his phone, thinking about the call he’s expecting today.  He knocks down a small pile of books on the floor as he struggles to plug in his charger, and it was only when he heard the little sound his phone does when it starts to charge that he starts to pick up the books to put them back in place.  Looking through the books as he makes his way to the other side of their room where the bookshelf is, he suddenly stops as his eyes see a particular title.

“Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown.”  He mumbles, smiling a little as the mere mention of the title of the book evokes an influx of memories. 

“I wonder how you’re doing right now?”

 

 

 

 

 

“Chanyeol-ah, are you okay?”  Minseok asks his shopping companion, worried at the other’s currently pale complexion.

The other, shoulders hunched in a way that makes him seem smaller to Minseok despite being taller than the older, just nods his head in a rather childish way before setting his eyes on some strawberries.

“We should get some for Yunho-hyung.”  He says, timidly gesturing to the pile of the said fruits.  Minseok just sighs before grabbing a plastic bag and starting to pick the “good” strawberries, leaving their shopping cart in Chanyeol’s care.

“Seriously, Chanyeol.”  Minseok says once he returns with the plastic bag now filled with strawberries.  “You didn’t have to come with me.”

“But Yunho-hyung had to go to the office and Minho-hyung often sleeps in during the weekends.  I didn’t want you to be alone when you’re in a place like this.”  Chanyeol replies, arranging the items in their cart to make space for the bag of strawberries.

“Thank you, Chanyeol-ah.”  Minseok replies, a surge of affection and pride for his dongsaeng filling his chest at the words, as he successfully places the bag of strawberries in their cart.

“Besides,” Chanyeol begins as he steers their cart towards the counter, “it’s been two years.  I think it’s time to move on.”

After paying for their groceries and stopping by a stall to buy Minho something to eat, the two finally arrive at the bus stop.  The bus arrives after five minutes of waiting, and the two prepare to board it.  Just as Minseok is about to enter the bus, two suit clad middle-aged men shove him backward and hurriedly get into the bus, causing Minseok to fall back on the ground and the contents of the grocery bags he’s carrying to spill all over the side walk.

“What the—hey!”  Chanyeol exclaims as he tries to go after the two men who are now inside the bus, but a hand on his leg stops him from doing so.  He looks down, and sees his hyung on the ground, staring at the bus’ occupants as if in some kind of trance.

“Hyung?”  Chanyeol asks, worry evident in his voice.  Minseok doesn’t reply and just stares at the bus’ occupants with wide eyes.

“Hyung!  Hyung!”  Chanyeol tries again, close to panicking.  He hears the doors of the bus close but he pays no mind to it, his complete attention on his unresponsive hyung.

“Hyung, please!  What’s wrong?”  Chanyeol asks, beads of sweat now racing down the sides of his face.  He is about to shake his hyung’s shoulders when a hand on his left wrist stops his movement.

“Don’t.”  Minseok says, eyeing the bus as it starts to move away from the stop.  “DON’T!”

“Hyung!”  Chanyeol exclaims, finally catching his hyung’s attention.  The bus is now rounding the corner, almost out of their sight. 

“Chanyeol, we have to stop the bus!”  Minseok says as he tries to stand up, but a wave of dizziness pushes him back to the ground.  He feels a sharp pain in his head as he finally manages to sit down, and he brings a hand to his forehead, hoping to alleviate the pain.

“Hyung, what’s going on?”  Chanyeol asks, looking around him for any form of help and sees the bus as it disappears around the corner.

“Chanyeol-ah, the bus.  We have to stop the bus.”  Minseok mumbles, tightly closing his eyes at the sharp pain in his head.  Spots begin to appear behind his closed eyelids, and he knows that he’s close to passing out.

“But why?”  Chanyeol asks, voice a mere whisper.  He takes his hyung into his arms and tries his best to calm the man and to help with the pain by massaging the other’s temples.

“Because,” Minseok mumbles, getting closer and closer to unconsciousness, “everyone in that bus is going to die.”

 

 

 

A/N: First chapter!  I think this doesn't make that much sense, but things will start making sense in the later chapters.  I hope it's to your liking and please comment! :D