Bite VII

Eternal Pledge

         “You're going to have to give in eventually, Yixing,” Tao took a few steps, exhausted with Lay's antics. “You don't want to hurt anyone, right? Okay, you won't. By biting them, you'd be helping them. Especially with the recent increase in rebellious actions, your power is rare and very much needed.”

           Lay stood silent, his hands fiddling in his pockets.

           “You're still thinking about not feeding, aren't you?” Tao prodded gently. Again, Lay did not reply, however Tao was not wrong.

             “You can survive on the donations for now, but, not much longer, Lay,” Tao paused. “Keep in mind, I said survive, not thrive. That may be why your powers are not fully established,” he added as an afterthought.

               Lay took in a deep breath of the cold air.

              “You'll have to come to terms that this is what you are. At least for now.”


Lay sighed sitting down trying to comprehend Tao’s words, “Tao I don’t know what to do. I don’t want this.” He sighed, “It’d be terribly lonely living forever, I’d have to leave everyone I love and I’d have to watch them grow old together and I would….I would just be stuck here. I don’t know if I could do that.” Lay looked at his hands, “I’m sure that this has its perks but I don’t want this. I don’t want to be like this.”

                Tao sat down next to Lay and rested his elbows on his knees. “The council might be able to help you change back Lay, but it’s going to take some time.” Tao paused looking at Lay sympathetically, “There’s no way you’re going to avoid hurting people now. This is what you are, for now at least. You don’t necessarily have to kill them, like I said, you might be able to live off of bagged blood from blood drives, but you’re so young Lay, so new. Your body might reject anything that isn’t….fresh. ” He took a breath, “And I can only get donations for so long anyways.”

                A beat of silence passed before Lay punched the wall, and to his surprise it gave a bit, leaving and indentation in the wall. Tao smiled at him sadly, “It’s a package deal, superhuman...with an inhumane diet.” He looked down at the younger wearily, “You said you’ve only had one right Lay? You’re sure you’ve only tasted one person live? Everything else was just bagged blood right?”

                The younger nodded confused, “Why?”

                “Because” Tao said pursing his lips, “There may be something we can do.”

 

                Lay took a sip of his drink and looked around the restaurant waiting for Soyoung. He was nervous in the worst way, thinking about what Tao had told him.

                Apparently, since Soyoung was the first person he had technically drank from he could pledge himself to her. The process was rare, since most vampires lost control of themselves the first time they tasted blood and killed whoever the victim happened to be. Tao hadn’t known any particulars, but together they were able to track down one of the council members who happened to know someone who was pledged.

The man had been a bit skeptical of the process, only viewing humans as a food source. Regardless he had told Lay that if Soyoung drank his blood right before he drank hers they would be linked in a sense. Soyoung’s body would then be able to react with Lay’s venom and replace the blood he drank faster than normal, but his also meant  that Lay could life off of anyone else. He would also be compelled to protect Soyoung and Lay didn’t know what the official meant by this really, but it sounded like a fair trade to him. She would pledge to be help sustain him, and in return he pledged to protect her. Simple enough.  

Still, Lay had yet to inform his girlfriend of his recent change and to be honest he was worried. He and Soyoung had been dating for three years already and Lay could justly say that he loved her. It was to the point that he could speculate spending the rest of his life with her, but he knew that they were still young. There was no need to rush into things. If that was where they were headed they would get there eventually.

Or at least that was what he had thought.  A shiver ran down Lay’s spine as he thought of what he could’ve done to Soyung the last time they had kissed. Tao had told him what most vampires did to their first taste, and he felt a pang in his heart whenever he thought of it.

Soyoung. Cold, dead on the floor and all because of him.

He shook his head instead focusing on the menu, wondering what would taste the most appetizing to his new tastes.

He scanned the items, wondering what would taste the least terrible and then Soyoung walked in. She looked beautiful as always, wearing an oversized sweater to keep herself warm. A smile came to his lips naturally as he looked at her, and he stood up to greet her, “Babe!” He called trying to catch her attention.

She looked at him and smiled widely. Between Lay’s various singing gigs and her school and work they didn’t get to see each other often. “Oppa!” She walked quickly over to him and they shared a tight hug. Lay kissed her cheek, and began to nuzzle her neck a bit, but stopped short when he remembered the fangs that he now possessed and noticed just how appetizing she smelled. He backed up quickly and opted to kiss her forehead instead, making sure not to hold her too tightly, lest he crush her. “I’ve missed you.” She mumbled into his chest.

I missed you too.” Lay said taking his seat as Soyoung took the seat opposite of him. He took her hand and rubbed his thumb over he hand lightly, “I’m sorry I’ve been so busy lately.”

It’s okay, things just started getting really hectic in school. I have to do a project and stuff so..” Soyoung let out a breath shrugging, “I’m just really happy to see you today.”

Me too.” He agreed, “Why does it seem like it’s been forever even though we saw each other just last week?”

Because you love me,” Soyoung replied, blushing a bit at her own joke. “And, the last time we met it was in the verrrryy early morning.”

Lay’s eyes darkened as he remembered that fateful night, “Yes,” He paused, “We shouldn’t do that often. The city is a little bit dangerous at that time.”

Confused, Soyoung wrinkled her nose, “Oppa you know that this is a safe city, besides we’re usually out with friends at that time, singing karaoke.” She took a sip of her water, “Are Jongin and Luhan back yet?”

Before Lay could answer the waitress came to take Soyoung’s order, and  Lay quickly mumbled something about  having eaten already to Soyoung before the waitress could ask him what he was eating.

As they ate dinner Lay found himself growing more and more nervous, wondering how she would react. It pained him to think that he might scare Soyoung off, and he wondered if this would be the last time that the two of them could eat this happily. He didn’t really know what he was going to do without her regardless of whether or not she let him pledge himself to her. It would hurt, losing her, no matter what the reason.

When they were done with dinner, Lay nervously invited Soyoung to his apartment for dessert, hoping to tell her about his newfound diet there. She looked up at him surprised, but accepted the invitation, “Did your mom send something again?”

Lay shook his head, “No, I saw a cake at the bakery down the street and I thought of you.” He said answering sweetly. “I didn’t drive here though, is it okay if we just walk?”

“Of course.”

As they walked, Lay placed his arm over Soyoung’s waist protectively and she leaned into him. “Oppa you’re being too cautious.” She teased.

Do you want me to let go of you then?” Lay countered just as playful.

No don’t-- “ Soyoung blushed, “I just don’t want you to worry.” She finished.

Once they were at Lay’s apartment, he took the cake out of the fridge, making sure to keep Soyoung from seeing  any of the blood donations in the fridge, and set it out on the table for her to look at. It was small, barely larger than his hand but he knew it would be just enough for the two of them. Being familiar with his apartment Soyoung took out a knife and began cutting the cake. Lay began gathering the plates and forks when suddenly he heard Soyoung gasp. Almost immediately the room was filled with the sweet scent of her blood. Lay pursed his lips and swallowed. “Babe are you okay?” he asked tensely, not even turning around.

Yeah, I just cut myself. It’s not deep I don’t think, could you look at it for me? I’m tearing up and can’t see.”

I’ll just go ahead and get you a band aid while you run it under the water.” He mumbled quickly trying not to breathe. Without waiting for a reply Lay rushed off into his room, shutting the door behind him almost immediately. He breathed in deeply to find that Soyoung’s scent was still faintly in the air. Instinctively, he felt himself drool and his throat burned. He was thirsty and there was nothing he could do.

Hastily he opened a window, hoping to let in a breeze and air out his room at least. He cracked open the door and yelled down the hall, “Babe are you okay?”

He heard footsteps and Lay could smell Soyoung coming closer, “Yeah I’m fine but are you okay? You’ve been acting really weird lately…”

Lay shut the door faster than was normal, “Ah! Don’t come too close I’m changing” He lied. “Actually I think I’m going to take a shower, babe. I sweat a lot during dance practice today.” He prayed that that she would believe the lie and that it would  give the wound enough time to scab over.

Um okay?”  Soyoung answered confused, “I’ll just eat cake and watch TV in the living room.”

Okay!” Lay called, out grateful that he had his own restroom while Luhan and Kai had to share one between them.  “Babe, can you open a window out there? I think Kai left some of his gym clothes out before leaving and it’s starting to make the apartment smell.”

Well I don’t smell anything, but okay.”

Lay sighed silently apologizing to her, hopefully there would be enough time for the room to air out before he was done,  and hopefully he’d be able to control himself the next time he went out there. 

 

 

A/N: Hello! It's about time we get to my chapters~ I hope there isn't too much of a tone shift :/ and I hope you enjoyed it!

Votes and comments are appreciated! Please don't be a silent reader, and subscribe if you want to see what happens next!!

-Megs (Baekhyunandmegs)

(ANNND if you really can't wait, I'm sure Renea and I have both written other things ;) )