Chapter 13

The Boss's Daughter

 

Gayoon's POV

 
"He was a truly great man, and will forever be known for his hard work, determination and dedication to each and every one of us here today..."
 
I tuned out the speaker, consumed in my own thoughts. The weather was gloomy, rainy and reflected the mood perfectly. I clutched on to my umbrella trying to compose myself. I looked around at the crowd of people clothed in black. The coldest, toughest of men stood before me, but in their eyes I only saw pain.
 
I never wanted to attend one of these ever again, not after my mother's. Maybe I was never meant to be happy. Was I predestined to feeling nothing but pain and misery? It sure felt like it.
 
I had lost everything. My mother was taken from me, my closest friends were plotting to kill me and I couldn't even set foot in my home without bursting into tears. Everything there reminded me of my extremely crappy life. And now this.
 
I felt a hand wrap around my waist and pull me closer. I looked up and saw Doojoon. We didn't need to say anything. He knew right now all I needed was someone be a shoulder to cry on. He kissed my forehead and I gave him a small smile.
 
Doojoon. The only bright spot in my life. He managed to pull me out of my darkest thoughts and bring me back into the light. I couldn't imagine ever being without him. He was my support system. He was my love.
 
That night had changed everything. Starting from the minute Hyuna pointed the gun to my head and ending the minute my father stopped breathing.
 
~Flashback~
 
BANG!
 
"DOOJOON LOOK OUT!!!!!" I screamed.
 
"AGHH!"
...
...
...
...
 
"Oh my god."
...
...
...
...
"No!" I screamed. No no no!
 
It was as if everything went into slow-motion. I watched my father dive in front of Doojoon and take the bullet sailing towards Doojoon's chest. I watched Doojoon grab my father before he fell to the ground. I watched the blood stain on my father's shirt get larger and larger. Too large.
 
How we got out of there was a blur. One moment we were still in the place and the next minute I was in the back of a van. My father was gasping for air.
 
"Daddy please don't go. Not yet. Please stay with me." I sobbed. I was clutching onto his hand.
 
It didn't matter that we've never talked to one another, or that he's been hiding his identity the past 20 years. He was my father and I loved him through all of this. He was protecting me. He has always been protecting me.
 
Doojoon was trying to stop the bleeding, but it was no use. I wasn't a doctor, but even I could guess that he was shot in the heart. He would die, I knew he would. 
 
"Dad I love you, okay? I don't care about all this. Please, please just remember that when you see mommy. Okay?" I said. I wiped my tear stained face.
 
My dad squeezed my hand with what little strength he had left and I squeezed back.
 
"Ga-Gayoon...I love you. I'm so-rry I couldn't protect you." My father said. He was having trouble getting the words out and they came as a whisper.
 
"No, don't think that. You saved my life. Thank you, for everything. I love you." I reasoned. 
 
My father pulled Doojoon towards him and whispered in his ear. Doojoon nodded and with one last final look at me, he was gone. Just like that the father I never knew I had was gone.
 
~End of Flashback~
 
I was sitting in my father's study. One of his men passed a photo album to me during the funeral. They found it in his personal safe.
 
The photo album contained photos of my parents together. They looked so happy. There were photos of me too. Photos throughout my childhood. Behind each photo was a message from my mother. Even if my father couldn't be in my life, she wanted him to feel included. They loved each other, but their relationship was just too complicated. 
 
"Mind if I join you?" Doojoon asked. He was standing in the doorway. I motioned for him to take a seat next to me. 
 
"What is that?" He asked, pointing to the album.
 
"Photos." I replied. "They were my father's" 
 
Doojoon pulled the album onto his lap and looking through. I was looking over his shoulder when drops of water fell onto one of the photos. I was confused for a second, but then realized it was tears, Doojoon's tears. 
 
I gave him a back hug and leaned my head on him. "What's wrong?" I asked. He didn't say anything at first.
 
"Before your father died..he told me that he was entrusting me to take care of you. That it was my job to make you smile again. I've just been thinking.. all I've caused you is pain. I just keep hurting you. I've failed him" 
 
I put the photo album on the table and sat on his lap. I wiped his tears and looked deeply into his eyes. He had it all wrong. 
 
"Yoon Doojoon, you are not hurting me. I'd be a mess without you. It's because of you that I'm able to smile and get past this. You are the only one that can get me to open up and get past my darkest thoughts. I've always been extremely closed off to people. I don't like to share my pain with others, but you broke through all my walls and only you can help me heal. How can you think you're hurting me? Doojoon, I love you." 
 
He smiled. "I love you too Gayoon. So so much. Which is why I feel so bad. I hate seeing you hurt and I feel that I'm the cause of it.....It's my fault your father...is gone."
 
"Don't say that. He gave his life for you. That was his decision. He may have been your boss, but he loved you too. My family was dysfunctional long before you came into the picture. If my father sent someone else to protect me, who knows if I'd still be breathing. It's because of you that I'm here today. Seeing you in pain hurts me Doojoon."
 
Doojoon was always there for me when I was upset. He would always reassure me that things would get better and that it was okay. Well, now it was my turn to be there for him. I loved him so much and seeing him cry broke my heart. 
 
After that night I knew I loved him. When Hyuna pulled the trigger it felt as if my heart was being ripped out of my body. In that split-second I realized I didn't like Doojoon. I didn't just have feelings for him. I was in love with him. 
 
Doojoon had pulled me into a hug and whispered a 'thank you' in my ear.
 
He hesitatingly cupped my face. He brought his face slowly closer to mine. He looked scared that I would reject him, but I closed the gap in between our lips. It was our first kiss since that night at his house.
 
It was tender and filled with love. When we pulled away I giggled and Doojoon was grinning. 
 

Doojoon's POV

 
Gayoon was sitting on my lap in the study. We were sitting and talking, enjoying one another's company. For the first time in a very long time, I was happy. When I was alone with Gayoon, we were in our own world. She was the only thing I thought of.
 
These past few days I had felt so guilty about Gayoon's father. The man had risked his life to save me. I looked up to him and to see him pass away like that, it was crushing. He was more then just my Boss. He was the only father-figure left in my life. 
 
Then there was Gayoon I had to think about. She had been so upset these past few days. Each tear she shed was a knife in my heart. Every time she cried I felt that I failed her father. His last words were for me to take care of her. 
 
I never thought Gayoon would accept me, let alone love me. I was a lucky man. I never wanted to see her upset again. I would spend the rest of my life taking the pain away if I had to.
 
I loved Gayoon wholeheartedly. When Hyuna and Jiyoon kidnapped her, I was so worried that I would lose her. That I would never get to say those three simple words to her, 'I Love You'. 
 
I was ready to start my life with her. It was time for a new chapter. All this pain and suffering wasn't healthy for either of us. We needed to get away from it all.
 
"Gayoon." I nudged her and she sat up.
 
"What is it?" She asked. She intertwined our fingers and she was looking at me intently.
 
"I have one last thing to tell you." I said. 
 
"You can tell me." She replied.
 
"Yesterday I had a discussion with Mr. Kim, you're father's estate advisor and one of his most trusted men. He told me that your father left a special will stating who would take his place when he passed....Your father chose me to take over." I said. 
 
"Oh." She replied. Her eyes were wide and she looked worried.
 
 
"I know I was surprised too. However, I turned him down."
 
"What?!" She gasped. 
 
I just smiled at her reaction.
 
~Flashback~
 
"Good evening Doojoon. I know this is a tough time to be calling you here, but I need to discuss something with you."
 
"Hello Mr. Kim. It's fine. I know this must be important." I replied. We were in the Boss's office. Mr. Kim was holding a stack of papers.
 
"Yes, well, you see I'm in charge of our Boss's will. As you know, he left nearly everything to his daughter, Ms. Gayoon, but there's one thing he did not give to her."
 
"What is it Mr. Kim?" I questioned.
 
"Well, every leader of the Mafia has always left a special document in their will, stating who will succeed them when they pass. Our Boss had wrote one as well...and well he 
left you as his successor."
 
"Wait, he left me in charge of the entire Korean Mob?" I cried. 
 
Why would he choose me? Sure I've been with him awhile, but there must have been other's better qualified. I was only 21. Surely others have more experience.
 
"Yes, you are listed as his primary successor. He made the decisions years ago. I guess I should start calling you Boss now." Mr. Kim replied. 
 
I sighed. I wasn't expecting this and it went against the future I had planned for myself. These last few days made me realize I couldn't live my life like this. I couldn't keep shooting and looting. This lifestyle wasn't for the weak, and I never categorized myself that way, but lately I thought I wasn't cut out for this. I needed to get away.
 
I wanted to start a new journey in my life. Hopefully Gayoon would be on that journey with me. 
 
The Boss told me to take care of his daughter, and I think the best thing to do was leave the Mafia. I believe I was making the right decision and would make the Boss proud, despite what his will said.
 
"I'm truly honored that the Boss would leave this much power and responsibility in my hands, but I'm afraid I can't take the job. You see, my life his headed in a different direction, and I am actually thinking about leaving Korea altogether. I hope you understand."
 
~End of Flashback~
 
"Are you really thinking about leaving Korea?" Gayoon asked.
 
"Yes. I can't be around this anymore. I would love for you to come with me. It would mean the world to me, but I understand if you don't want to leave." I replied.
 
"Of course I want to come. I can't be here anymore either. Too many heartbreaking memories. I want to go somewhere new and make new, better memories..with you by my side." Gayoon replied. 
 
I smiled at her response. She didn't know how happy her reaction made me. I kissed her forehead, her eyelids, her cheeks and finally her lips. I pulled her closer to me continued giving her small kisses before deepening it. I nibbled on her lip till she granted me access. Once I was certain no inch of went unexplored, I moved onto her neck.
 
Gayoon giggled and pulled away a bit. "We have all the time in the world for that. More importantly, where did you plan on taking me. Hmm?" She asked.
 
I laughed. "Haha anywhere you want. As long as you're with me, it will be perfect."
 
 
 
 

Get ready for a long author's note:

Oh boy where do I even begin. Well, first of all sorry for leaving you all in suspense lol. Despire what you all thought, it was never my intention to harm Doojoon, and the death of Gayoon's father was actually planned out since chapter 1. I'm surprised nobody thought of it.

 

Looking back at this story, it turned out a bit more heartbreaking and gruesome than I had planned. I never thought I'd write an upsetting angsty story haha. Like I've previously stated, I knew the beginning and I knew the end of this story. The middle was a bit blurry though and I was just going with flow of the story, so I guess that's just how it turned out. Anyway, the story is not over just yet. There will be one more chapter and I PROMISE it will have a happy ending. I just want to add one more scene and an epilogue and then it's complete!

 

I know some may think Gayoon is a little crazy to just accept Doojoon after all that he's indirectly done to her, but looking back at the previous chapters, I think the story had an underlying theme that I didn't plan lol. I tried to model the Gayoon in my story after the real Gayoon in the sense that she has a closed off personality. Gayoon didn't want to bother others with her pain and doesn't like to share her true feelings, much like the real Gayoon. However, Doojoon was able to break through all of Gayoon's walls and get her to open up like no one has done before. Not even her "supposive" best friends. So I guess the underlying theme was about getting Gayoon to open up and not keeping your feelings bottled up. 

 

I feel like there was more I wanted to put in this author's note, but now I'm drawing a blank. I guess I'll stick whatever thoughts and comments I have in the next chapter. I'm also hoping to tie up any loose ends in the next chapter,

 

Lastly, I want to say thank you to all my readers and subscribers. Your comments are what pushed me to keep writing. You're feedback was greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if this story did not turn out like how many of you expected, but I'm grateful that you stuck with it anyway. Stay tuned for the final chappie!