Past of Na-hee and Youngjae

I Just Want to Love You

Na-hee sat in the driver’s seat outside the house of Jae Hwan’s godparents as she waited for Mi-hee to return the cute little boy back to his godparents. She watched as the couple gave Jae Hwan a kiss on each of his cheeks after the man lifted Jae Hwan up from the ground.

Seeing the scene, she felt tears welling in her eyes again. However she quickly wiped it away as soon as she saw Mi-hee making her way back to the car. After Mi-hee got in, Na-hee stepped on the accelerator and the car started rolling forward.

“Unnie, are you alright? I’m sorry for not telling you that I’ll be bringing Jae Hwan along and really sorry for leaving him with you for the few hours that I was away,” Mi-hee apologized as she observed Na-hee.

Na-hee gave a smile as she concentrated on the road and reassured her sister, “Its okay. You don’t have to worry about me, I’m fine. Jae Hwan is really a good and obedient boy.”

Mi-hee knew that she was not okay at all but she didn’t want to probe further. She knew that no matter what her sister would not reveal her emotions in front of her. Instead she took out her mobile from her bag and quietly pressed the buttons on it.

Sensing that her usually bubbly sister was suddenly quiet, Na-hee took her attention away from the road for a brief moment. “Why have you gone quiet all of a sudden? Sending a message to your boyfriend?” Na-hee teased.

Mi-hee blushed slightly and lightly hit her sister’s arm, “Himchan is not my boyfriend and I don’t have a boyfriend alright? I’m not even messaging him.”

Na-hee laughed, “Of course I believe you, that Finance Assistant Vice-President is just a friend. I didn’t say he was your boyfriend right?” Na-hee emphasized on the word ‘friend’ and burst out laughing after she finished. Mi-hee blushed and immediately kept her phone away. The two sisters continued to tease each other as they drove their way home.

As they drove nearer to their building they saw a man kicking the ground as he leaned against a car.

“Unnie, isn’t that Youngjae oppa?” Mi-hee asked after she got a good look at the man.

At the mention of Youngjae’s name, Na-hee looked at the figure under the streetlamp.

“Unnie, I think he’s waiting for you. Why don’t you go have a talk with him? I’ll park the car and go back first,” Mi-hee suggested because she could see the worried look on Na-hee’s face.

Na-hee nodded her head and stopped the car a distance away from where Youngjae was. After reminding her sister to lock the doors of the car and their home, Na-hee stepped out of the car and walked towards Youngjae.

“Youngjae,” Na-hee called out and the man who was leaning against the car turned and looked at her. He smiled and walked over to her, gave her a short kiss on the lips and hugged her.

“What’s wrong?” Na-hee asked as she patted Youngjae’s back. She could sense that something was not right with him even though she could not see his face. Youngjae simply kept quiet and rubbed his nose against the side of Na-hee’s neck.

“Youngjae, is something wrong?” Na-hee probed again after not getting a response from him. He gave a sigh and lifted his head off her shoulders. Holding her hands in his, he looked at them and rocked back and forth on his heels.

“Honey, something is not right. Are you sick?” Na-hee was getting more and more worried. It had been ages since she saw Youngjae acting like this and it worried her. She pulled her right hand away from Youngjae’s grasp and placed it on his forehead.

Youngjae took her hand away and looked into her concerned eyes, “I’m fine, just worried about you.”

Na-hee was confused, “Me? What is wrong with me? As far as I can remember I’m perfectly healthy.”

Youngjae shook his head and kissed her forehead lightly, “I wasn’t referring to your health. I was worried about your feelings.”

Na-hee smiled at him and pulled him along as she walked away from where they were standing. “Where are we going?” Youngjae asked as he realized that they were not heading for her home which was just across the street from where they had just stood. Instead she was leading him towards an opposite direction.

“You will know soon,” Na-hee turned back to give Youngjae a smile and continued walking down the street. Youngjae smiled at the back view of Na-hee and broke the contact of their hands.

Surprised, Na-hee turned and looked at Youngjae curiously but Youngjae just smiled. “What’s wrong?” Na-hee asked cautiously. Youngjae didn’t reply, instead he walked over to Na-hee and without a word he lifted her off the ground. Na-hee was shocked and she gave a soft yelp. Youngjae’s smile broadened as he carried her in a bridal-style and started running.

Youngjae just kept running with a smile on his face as he listened to Na-hee giggle. Time seemed to have traveled to the past as the man continued to carry the woman in his arms, adding happiness to the quiet night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Flashback -

It was the day of Na-hee’s graduation. Her boyfriend, Yoo Youngjae of 3 years specially made his way to her graduation although it was his too. He couldn’t help thinking back of how they met as he drove the car.

Since his high school days Youngjae had been addicted to the internet but also because of this addiction he got to know his love, Na-hee. Although they met each other through an uncommon way but they became a couple the way the other couples started out. They became friends after meeting up and slowly feelings started to develop.

Although the both of them went to different high schools and universities it still did not cause a barrier to them. Everyday they communicate over the phone for at least an hour a day and when weekend came, Youngjae would drive to Na-hee’s hostel to pick her up for their dates.

It wasn’t an exception too on this special day, Youngjae practically ran out of the school as soon as the graduation ceremony ended and he immediately drove down south towards Na-hee’s school.

After parking his car in the carpark, he immediately called Na-hee and asked her to meet him there. When he saw Na-hee, a smile formed on the corner of his lips. Just seeing his girlfriend running down the flight of steps towards his direction was already making him very happy.

After he got Na-hee, they went to the beach where Youngjae had already prepared a feast to celebrate their graduation. The young couple had a great time at the beach, they even sat down on the sands to watch as the sun set. Youngjae hugged Na-hee closer to him as the stars and moon made their appearance in the night sky.

They enjoyed the view for a moment until Na-hee’s stomach growled to inform them that it was time for dinner. They had dinner at a posh restaurant which Youngjae had already booked beforehand. Since they had the whole restaurant to themselves, the couple danced the night away in there.

Maybe it was the wine they drank or maybe because the mood was just right, that night Youngjae did not drive Na-hee home. Neither did he drive her to the hostel.

They spent the night at a suite in a five-star hotel. Needless to say, they made love to each other that night. When morning came, Na-hee did not blame Youngjae. Instead their relationship grew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before Youngjae graduated from university, Yong Guk’s father which was also his uncle had already arranged for him to start working in Bang Corp hence after a week of break he started his job. Shortly after he started working, Na-hee found a job as a sales representative in a multi-national company. Despite their busy work schedules, they still made time for their relationship.

Four months after the graduation, Na-hee found herself pregnant. She didn’t know what to do when she knew about it. It didn’t even cross her mind to tell Youngjae. The only person who knew of her pregnancy was her step-sister, Mi-hee. Mi-hee wanted her to tell Youngjae about it but Na-hee never knew how to put it across. After all they had only just started out a new chapter of their lives with work and a child still wasn’t part of her plan as of now.

One day after meeting up with a client, Na-hee slipped and fell down the stairs while she was on her way back to the office.

After she was rushed to the hospital, Mi-hee was informed and of course Youngjae too. As it was quite a bad fall, Na-hee lost the baby which was only two months old and she had to lie in bed for a month. When Youngjae knew that she was pregnant and had lost the baby, he blamed himself for not being caring enough to even notice that Na-hee was pregnant. He cried at the lost of the baby which he had never knew but he knew that he had to be strong because Na-hee would be feeling even worse than him. He got himself together and looked after Na-hee the whole time when she was in the hospital. Even after she was discharged, Youngjae still visited her everyday and made sure that she was well taken care of.

Besides the lost of the baby, Na-hee suffered an even serious aftermath. Due to the excessive lost of blood and poor health the doctor said that it would be difficult for her to conceive in the future. Na-hee was devastated. She always loved children and she knew how Youngjae longed to have a child of his own. After she recomposed herself, Na-hee told the doctor not to let Youngjae know about it however she did not know that Youngjae who was just outside her ward heard what they had said. Youngjae became even guiltier when he knew that Na-hee would not be able to conceive. He made a promise to himself that no matter what he would not let this become a problem in their relationship.

Indeed it didn’t. In fact, it brought them even closer and strengthened their love for each other. Although after that incident, neither of them mentioned about the baby but they knew that the both of them were feeling sad about the lost.

- End of flashback –

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Na-hee snuggled closer to Youngjae as the night wind blew. She tightened her hold around Youngjae’s waist and rubbed her face against his chest. Youngjae, on the other hand, too tightened his grasp on Na-hee who was sitting on his lap as he sat on the swing.

“Na-hee baby, I got a question for you but if you are uncomfortable answering, don’t answer it,” Youngjae said.

Sensing the seriousness in his voice, Na-hee pulled herself away from her comfort zone and looked into Youngjae’s eyes. “Honey, you know you can ask anything you want right?” she could feel that something was not right with Youngjae today but she just couldn’t guess what it was.

Youngjae nodded his head and took a deep breathe, “Do you ever hate me for not asking about the baby?”

Na-hee sat still for a moment, she had not expected Youngjae to mention about the baby. She smiled at him and gently caressed his cheeks, “I never once hated you. I admit when I first knew that I was pregnant, I didn’t know what to do and didn’t know how to break the news to you but I know that you will definitely be elated. I admit, when I knew that I had lost the baby I was sad but I never blamed you for it. I was the careless one. If I didn’t slip and had the fall then maybe by now our child will be as big as Jae Hwan. I never hated you for not asking about the baby because I know that you are sad too that the baby is gone but I never once hated you. In fact, I really have to thank you for being so understanding towards me.”

Youngjae placed his hand over Na-hee’s and leaned his forehead against hers, “I’m really sorry. If it was not for me, you wouldn’t be pregnant just after graduation. If it was not for me, you would still be able to conceive in the future.”

Na-hee’s eyes widened after she heard the last sentence which Youngjae said. It had been six years since the incident and she never knew that Youngjae knew about this secret of hers.

“I overheard this when the doctor told you about it. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop. It’s just that I happen to visit you and accidentally heard about it,” Yongjae explained immediately for fear that Na-hee might be angry with him. However, Na-hee’s next movement shocked him.

Na-hee gave a light laugh and gave him a peck on his lips. “I’m not angry. I was just a little shock that you have found out about it even though I tried to keep it a secret. I never meant to keep this from you but once again I don’t know how to tell you about it. I guess when it comes to matters of the heart and forming of a family I am not as bright as I am when dealing with work,” Na-hee sighed and broke the eye contact with Youngjae to look at her lap.

Youngjae smiled at her side profile and lifted her head to look at him, “I don’t need my wife to be bright when she is with me. All I need is for her to be happy when she is by my side. I don’t even want to see her cry or worse be the reason for her tears. I won’t even mind if we do not have any children together because she is all I ever need and I am glad that she is now sitting on my lap hearing all these.”

Na-hee’s eyes were already b with tears as she listened to what Youngjae had said. She threw her arms over Youngjae and laid her cheek on his shoulders hugging him tight. Youngjae smiled again and hugged her back with equal passion.

After a while, Na-hee broke free and looked at Youngjae with a smile on her face. “And I’m glad that I have you.” Youngjae smiled at her and leaned towards her.

Moments after their passionate kiss, they pulled apart. “Honey, I don’t remember you proposing so I don’t think I can call you my husband yet. Plus I don’t intend to get married anytime soon,” Na-hee said and pinched Youngjae’s nose. Youngjae opened his mouth and tried to protest but Na-hee had already got on her feet to get away from him.

Youngjae immediately jumped off the swing and ran after Na-hee to stop her from leaving. “You can’t be serious right?” Youngjae asked after he caught hold of Na-hee’s elbow. Na-hee turned around at look at Youngjae and when she saw the anxious look on his face she burst out laughing.

“I was just joking with you but it’s a fact that you haven’t propose,” Na-hee struck out her tongue at Youngjae and immediately ran off away from him. Youngjae who realized that he was tricked immediately ran after her.

The playground was instantly filled with laughter of a man and a woman. The night seemed to be a fun time for the two as they continued with their little game of catching.