What Did I Tell You

Daydream~ [One-shot/Drabble Collection]

What Did I Tell You - Various Artistes

"Let's sing a song instead of counting!" A little girl suggested. Her long tresses were tied up into a sleek ponytail, and she was wearing her favourite cream dress. The girl bounced up and down, unable to contain her excitement.

Her friends only sighed. "Sure." they said. Everyone knew that she was the songbird. She was born to sing, and she loved it more than anything. The little girl clapped her hands and ran to the side of the old courtyard. Her soft humming informed her friends that it was time for them to hide.

"...how I wonder what you are." She finished singing. "Taeyeon is ready to catch you all!" With that, she ran. The church courtyard is like a second home to her, so she knew every single spot in which her friends could hide in.

"Haiya!" Taeyeon shouted. A girl the same age screamed. Taeyeon had surprised her from behind. "Sooyeon, you got to stop hiding here."

The girl with long locks that her parents never tied stood up. "It's Jessica. And, I just moved here. I'm too lazy to explore other hiding places." The little girl defended, dusting off the soil on her shoe. She is Korean from head to toe, but having lived in California until she was eight, she spoke her mother tongue with slight awkwardness.

"Come on! Why ruin the fun Sooyeonnie?" Taeyeon whined. "Oh who cares, let's go find the other kids!" Taeyeon grabbed Sooyeon (or Jessica, as the latter prefers to be called) and ran in the direction of the big old oak tree that has been there since even before the church was built.

Taeyeon peeked around the tree and pouted when she did not find her friend. "Come on, Baekhyun might be somewhere around here!"

Sooyeon wandered around the tiny courtyard, and found a figure crouching near the bushes. She pretended that she did not see him. It's Baekhyun for sure. As casually as she could, Sooyeon walked towards Taeyeon and whispered in her ear.

Taeyeon followed Sooyeon's directions and poked Baekhyun's shoulder. Baekhyun is the youngest among the kids playing, being only five years-old. He was new to the group like Sooyeon, arriving half a year ago.

"Baekhyun-ah, you're caught! You're getting cheeky now!" Taeyeon laughed and Baekhyun struggled out of his hiding spot.

"Noona! I thought my small figure would help." The younger whined, his voice half an octave higher than Taeyeon's (though much lower than Sooyeon's).

They continued to find the other six, namely Donghae, Woohyun, Jongdae, Minhyuk, Bora and JinAh. The nine kids played another round, but it was interrupted by the announcement of a storytelling time. Putting aside their game, the kids ran into the church excitedly.

Except for Jongdae.

He quietly sat in his hiding spot, far away from the building, between two bushes whose leaves have shed.

He sat there wondering why Taeyeon never found him, and he had to always shift to another spot closer to the building before Taeyeon could spot him.

Slowly he tried to get up, but his shirt got caught in the branches. He tugged on his shirt carefully, and after a few long minutes of struggling he broke free.

However, little Jongdae fell as he tried to get out of the bushes and his forehead met a rock with great force.

Red, it was all he could see, followed by a blur vision.

Silence, it was all he could hear, then his name, followed by horrified screams.

The last he saw was Taeyeon's expressionless face and hollow orbs staring at him.

"Jongdae-ah," Taeyeon had once said in her sing-song voice. "If you keep hiding in these bushes, you'll get hurt. You should go to those that are less spiky and dangerous."

"Jongdae-ah, what have I told you?" Taeyeon said in her head, her face still expressionless as she watched the adults carry bloody Jongdae into the church building.


Okay go ahead and throw me off a cliff.

I think I wrote this on the way home from work because I was bored and I suddenly had this inspiration to write something creepy. It's supposed to be an actual fanfic but I gave up on it (the way I do to most of my other works) and turned it into a one-shot instead.

Chen fans don't kill me, I didn't do this on purpose, it came out of nowhere.

Okay bye.

Thanks for reading~

/flees