Chapter 3: Telling Lies

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Maybe we should stop, Kai,” a familiar deep voice beside him mumbled, as Kai pulled a textbook out of his locker. “He’s my friend too, and I hate feeling like I’m hurting him.”

 

Kai shook his head sadly as he closed his locker’s door. “I’m really sorry, Chanyeol. Trust me, it hurts me to see him hurt too, more than he would ever imagine... but that’s the whole point, isn’t it? I need to know how much it hurts him... how much he cares about me. I need to know how important I am to him.” Kai mumbled, leaning his back against the lockers. “I know that sounds selfish and stupid, but...”

 

“It’s okay,” Chanyeol sighed, patting Kai’s shoulder gently. “I know how dense that kid can be. And I know for a fact that he does care about you. A lot. He just isn’t really good at expressing his emotions, so I understand that you’re feeling really confused about him. If you really think jealousy is the only way to get him to admit that he likes you back, then I’m willing to keep helping you,” Chanyeol smiled sadly, the twitch absent from his normally twinkling eyes. “I just hope he’s not feeling too hurt inside because of us. We’re his friends, and I hate lying to him like this.”

 

“I know... I’m really sorry,” Kai apologized again. “I’ve really been so obvious to him. I thought that after so many years, he would’ve noticed how much I really, really like him. I thought this whole ‘jealousy’ plan would help him notice me and realize he likes me back, but ever since we started it... he’s just been getting mad at me, because he thinks the fake relationship between you and me is real. He hasn’t even said anything to me about feeling jealous!” Kai groaned in exasperation. “What if he’s not really jealous at all? What if he doesn’t actually like me back and I’m just imagining things? What if he’s mad because he thinks I’m choosing you over him as a friend? I don’t want to lose my friendship with him!” Kai slammed a tired fist at the wall of lockers, frustration overwhelming his senses.

 

Chanyeol reached out a hand to pat him gently on the shoulder again, but Kai shirked away this time. He didn’t want Chanyeol to comfort him, he needed Kyungsoo.

 

With a quiet sigh, Chanyeol stepped back. “Honestly, from my point of view, I think he’s just mad at me,” he shrugged, looking down at his feet with a quiet mumble. “It feels like he thinks I’m stealing you from him, but he just doesn’t want to admit it, admit to himself that he likes you.”

 

Kai smiled softly, regaining a little confidence. “I really hope that means he’ll admit it eventually then... Thank you for helping me,” he murmured. “I’m really sorry if he’s mad at you... Kyungsoo can be so dense and naïve at times. But that’s part of why I love–” Kai cut himself off, eyes widening with panic. “Love YOU! Why I love you, Chanyeol!” Kai finished loudly, plastering a ridiculously fake grin on his face.

 

“Kai, what are you... Oh! Hey, Kyungsoo!” Chanyeol immediately forced himself to smile as well, as he turned around to see their friend standing behind him.

 

“What? Are you guys declaring your love for each other at the top of your lungs in the middle of the halls now?” Kyungsoo asked, a hint of bitterness in his voice.

 

“Sort of?” Kai lied, wincing slightly as he saw the look of disgust on Kyungsoo’s face.

 

“Whatever. Are you guys free for dinner tonight? I have a new recipe for kimchi spaghetti I’ve been wanting to try out,” Kyungsoo offered, smiling as he glanced hopefully over to Kai.

 

Kai grinned happily. “Sure! Your cooking is always the best, Kyung!” 

 

Chanyeol watched with a hidden smirk as Kyungsoo’s cheeks visibly tinged pink.

 

Yeah, don’t worry, Kai, I’m sure Kyungsoo will figure it out eventually...

 

 “Sorry, Kyungsoo, but I can’t go,” Chanyeol shook his head. “I love your cooking, but it’s Friday, and I always spend Friday nights with Baek,” Chanyeol admitted, rubbing the back of his neck apologetically.

 

Besides, I’m sure you two would rather spend some alone time together, anyway...

 

“Oh, that’s okay,” Kyungsoo murmured, still slightly disappointed. Even though Chanyeol was dating Kai now, the three of them had been best friends since middle school, the best friends Kyungsoo did everything with, which included introducing new cooking experiments whenever he thought of trying something new.

 

“No doubt it’ll be delicious, though,” Chanyeol smiled encouragingly. “Give my serving to Kai, I’m sure he’ll love it!” He nodded towards their friend, his current fake boyfriend, who was still smiling dreamily at the thought of Kyungsoo making dinner for him.

 

“Well, Kai always says everything I make is good, even if it isn’t,” Kyungsoo laughed lightly, the airy sound of which only made Kai grin even wider.

 

“Exactly,” Chanyeol agreed. “Well, I gotta go now, but I’ll see you guys later.” He waved as he left, giving Kai a quick goodbye hug for show in front of Kyungsoo.

 

 

I know it hurts, Kyungsoo... just admit it already...

 

 

 

 

~~

 

“Don’t you mind?” Kyungsoo asked quietly, as they walked along the street to Kai’s house.

 

“Mind what?” Kai asked curiously, walking beside Kyungsoo with their footsteps in sync.

 

“Mind that Chanyeol still spends so much time with Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo answered, without turning to meet Kai’s eyes.

 

Kai blinked twice, in confusion. “Why would I mind? It’s not like...” Kai’s voice trailed off, as he suddenly remembered that he was supposed to act like Chanyeol’s boyfriend.

 

Kyungsoo sighed, “He basically goes on a date with Baekhyun every Friday, even though you guys are... together.”

 

Kai’s gaze lowered, hearing the biting emphasis on Kyungsoo’s last word. Almost like resentment, almost like jealousy.

 

“I don’t really mind,” Kai shrugged, hoping to bother Kyungsoo with his apathy. “I mean, maybe a little, but Chanyeol tells me they’re just friends.”

 

The skepticism was obvious on Kyungsoo’s face. “Do you really believe that?”

 

Kai merely shrugged again.

 

“Kai, don’t you think you deserve better?” Kyungsoo asked softly, his footsteps stopping suddenly in the middle of the sidewalk. Kai smiled inwardly, hearing the words he wanted to hear.

 

Now just tell me... Tell me that you are the one I deserve, tell me that you are perfect for me, that we should be together...

 

But rather than follow Kai’s wishes, Kyungsoo didn’t say anything. Without a word, he bent down and reached for Kai’s shoelaces, which Kai himself hadn’t even noticed had become untied.

 

“I deserve better?” Kai questioned, attempting to continue their conversation. “But Chanyeol’s great!” Tell me you’re better... “We’ve known each other for so long!” Tell me I’ve known you longer... “Remember how we met Chanyeol in middle school and he immediately joined our friend group? We accepted him so easily because he’s such a fun guy, and yet at the same time, he can be really deep and helpful to talk to and get advice from when–”

 

Kai froze as he crouched down beside Kyungsoo, who had just finished tying his shoes for him. He was about to say a brief ‘thank you’, and flash Kyungsoo a quick smile, but in doing so, Kai’s gaze had turned to meet his friend’s large, droopy eyes.

 

Kyungsoo looked as if he was about to cry.

 

“Kyung, are you all right?” Kai asked worriedly, the gentle words slipping from his lips so fast, he didn’t even bother to finish his last sentence.

 

“Yeah, whatever,” Kyungsoo sighed, standing up quickly.

 

“Wait, Kyung,” Kai grabbed onto his arm from behind, stopping him from walking off.

 

“What do you want, Kai?” Kyungsoo mumbled, his back facing him.

 

“Thank you, Kyung,” Kai smiled softly, pulling at his friend’s shoulders gently so that Kyungsoo would turn around. “I just wanted to thank you, for looking out for me,” Kai grinned, pointing to his shoes, now tied.

 

“Sure,” Kyungsoo answered, his eyes lowering as he turned away from Kai’s smile. He hoped Kai wouldn’t notice how his heart was pounding so painfully.

 

It was as if Kyungsoo was the only one who ever notic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter