Chapter 2: Being Selfish

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey Baek! I didn’t know you were in this class!”

 

Baekhyun looked up from his notebook at the familiar sound of his friend’s voice, a bright smile widening on his face. “Hey! What are you doing here, Chanyeol?” he asked, his happiness unfaltering as he turned to give his friend his complete attention.

 

In the past, Baekhyun had tried to hide his friendship with Chanyeol from his classmates, out of fear of the other students’ questioning gazes. But after a while, he gave up trying to hide, because it was no use. Everyone already knew that for some strange reason, the class’ best student was friends with the class’ worst troublemaker, and Baekhyun had gotten used to ignoring the hushed whispers that seemed to follow him around whenever he so much as even talked to Chanyeol. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling, to know that everyone was talking about him behind his back, but Baekhyun endured it, with the help of Chanyeol’s constant encouragement to “Stop worrying about what other people think of you, Baekhyun.”

 

Besides, Baekhyun knew he had no other choice but to endure it.

 

He couldn’t risk losing Chanyeol’s friendship.

 

 

With a playful smile, Baekhyun asked Chanyeol teasingly. “Shouldn’t you be heading to class?”

 

“I am, don’t worry!” Chanyeol laughed, patting Baekhyun’s shoulder gently, as if reassuring him he wasn’t about to get into any trouble. “I just walked Kai to class first,” Chanyeol shrugged, gesturing toward a boy sitting across the room. Hearing his name being mentioned, Kai then waved goodbye to Chanyeol, smiling happily as soon as the older boy waved back.

 

Chanyeol grinned as he turned his attention back to Baekhyun. “Well, I’m going to head to my own class now, but I’ll see you around, Baek!” he waved before walking out.

 

Baekhyun was left staring blankly at the boy Chanyeol had pointed out to him.

 

“Who’s Kai...?” Baekhyun mumbled absentmindedly. I wonder why Chanyeol has never walked me to class before...

 

Baekhyun watched curiously as Kai started to talk to the boy sitting next to him. Kyung... Kyungsoo? I think that’s his name...

 

“Baekhyun, what are you staring at?” Luhan smiled as he sat down in his seat beside Baekhyun.

 

“N-Nothing,” Baekhyun quickly snapped out of his thoughts. Feeling Luhan’s skeptical gaze, Baekhyun sighed. “I was just... wondering... what do you know about... Kai?” he asked slowly, eyes averting Luhan’s.

 

Luhan tilted his head slightly, a look of confusion evident on his face. “Kai?” he asked rather loudly, as if he hadn’t heard Baekhyun correctly.

 

“Shh!” Baekhyun hastily gestured for Luhan to lower his voice, afraid of drawing others’ attention.

 

Luhan’s eyes widened as he realized his own mistake. Huddling down to whisper, he asked, “Why Kai? Shouldn’t you know about him already? Since you’re friends with Chanyeol and all...”

 

Baekhyun ignored the fact that Luhan made a face when saying Chanyeol’s name and instead urged him to explain. “What do you mean? Chanyeol’s never mentioned Kai before,” Baekhyun muttered back.

 

“Really? That’s weird, because I think he and Kai have been going out for a while now.”

 

Baekhyun felt his breath hitch in his throat.

 

“Going out?” He squeaked, unable to control his voice raising in pitch.

 

 

“Yeah, didn’t Chanyeol ever tell you? I heard about it from another friend a while back, but yeah, I’m pretty sure Kai’s been his boyfriend for months.”

 

“Boyfriend...?”

 

At this word, Baekhyun felt a sudden weight bearing down on his chest.

 

 

Chanyeol’s boyfriend...

 

For months?

 

But that’s...

 

That’s so long...

 

 

Luhan just stared at Baekhyun questioningly. “See, I told you he was a bad friend. He didn’t even bother to tell you?” he sighed.

 

“Well... no... But that doesn’t mean Chanyeol’s a bad friend, I just... It’s my fault for not noticing.” Baekhyun bit his lip, trying his best to ignore the apprehensive look in Luhan’s eyes.

 

The weight on Baekhyun’s chest was getting heavier as he spoke.

 

But he wasn’t jealous. No, Baekhyun wasn’t jealous.

 

Chanyeol is just like a... an older brother to me, right? It’s not like I... I like him or anything.

 

Baekhyun’s heart thudded dully against his chest, as he imagined Chanyeol’s voice, softly whispering words of comfort in his ears, the feeling of his friend’s strong arms wrapped around his body in a gentle, protective hug, Chanyeol’s forehead pressed against his own as tears ran down Baekhyun’s cheeks. “I’m here for you, I’m here for you,” Chanyeol would murmur, his large hands rubbing circles on Baekhyun’s back. “Don’t cry.” Chanyeol’s deep voice echoed in Baekhyun’s memories.

 

Chanyeol really gives the best hugs.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t help but smile at the thought.

 

Chanyeol looks out for me just like a big brother... I trust him, just like a big brother. But then... why didn’t he tell me about Kai earlier?

 

A feeling of strange, stinging emptiness sank into Baekhyun’s heart.

 

Doesn’t Chanyeol trust me?

 

Baekhyun frowned, realizing that as much as he had always poured his heart out and vented to Chanyeol, Chanyeol had never really talked to Baekhyun about his own problems.

 

“I’m kind of really selfish around him, aren’t I?” Baekhyun mumbled sadly, intending just for himself to hear.

 

But to his dismay, his words didn’t escape Luhan’s notice. “Are you... disappointed?” Luhan murmured softly, looking to Baekhyun worriedly.

 

“No, no,” Baekhyun corrected hurriedly, knowing Luhan wouldn’t understand why he was feeling so torn up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter