Chapter 14: Hidden from View

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Be careful, watch your step,” Sehun whispered just as a fallen branch crackled under Luhan’s feet.

 

“Shh, we don’t want him to hear us,” Sehun hushed gently.

 

“Sorry,” Luhan mumbled, his feet stumbling to avoid another stray branch. “But could you please explain why we’re doing this? Hiding in Baek’s backyard in the middle of the night? It’s almost midnight... Baek’s already so angry with me, he’s going to kill me if he finds–”

 

“Just trust me,” Sehun murmured simply, and Luhan couldn’t muster the courage to protest any further. He trusted Sehun. Probably more than he should have.

 

“We’re going to sneak a peek into the life of Byun Baekhyun,” Sehun smiled softly.

 

Now Luhan was truly confused. But he decided to play along, trusting Sehun, and too tired to complain.

 

“We’re peeking into his window?” He smiled lopsidedly at Sehun, wondering what the younger was planning. “Is this legal?”

 

Sehun shrugged, “We’re not peeking through his window exactly... his bedroom window will be open, so we can just listen in.”

 

“Wait, how do you know for sure Baekhyun’s window will be open?” Luhan asked, with an eyebrow raised in questioning.

 

“I told you to trust me, remember?” Sehun grinned. “Besides, Baekhyun was one of my best friends in middle school, and he used to always leave his window open. I know he likes to listen to the sounds of the wind rustling the trees at night,” Sehun whispered.

 

Luhan frowned, processing his words slowly. “But I’ve known Baekhyun since we were kids, I never knew–”

 

“Maybe you just never noticed.” Sehun cut in again.

 

Luhan bit his lip, pausing. “I guess when it comes to Baek, I... I’ve never really paid attention to the little things...”

 

With a small sigh, Sehun turned back to look Luhan in the eyes as he asked gently, “Are you sure you’ve been his best friend since elementary school?”

 

“I-I thought so... but I guess I... I’m not so sure anymore...” was all Luhan could reply, his gaze merely dropped to his shoes.

 

“Hey,” Sehun murmured, touching the tip of his finger to Luhan’s chin to lift his gaze. “Don’t look so guilty, I didn’t bring you here to hurt you. You know I wouldn’t hurt you.” He paused, seeing Luhan’s eyes averting his own. “I just wanted to bring you here to show you some things that you probably just never noticed before. It’s okay, I’m not blaming you for not noticing these little things, but I just want to make sure you’re more aware from here on out, okay?” Sehun tried to sound as gentle as possible.

 

Luhan didn’t reply, he hated how Sehun seemed to know so much about Baekhyun that he didn’t, even though Baekhyun was supposed to be his best friend. Maybe Luhan just hadn’t paid attention enough, maybe he just had always taken Baekhyun for granted. Because of course Baekhyun was his best friend, of course Baekhyun would be by his side, so it Luhan never really thought it mattered whether Baekhyun opened or closed his window at night. He never really thought about what thoughts were going on in Baekhyun’s mind. But now, Luhan couldn’t help but wonder.

 

Did Baek ever really think of me as his best friend?

 

His question was answered by the sound of familiarly loud laughter.

 

“Move it slowerrr!!” He could hear Baekhyun whine. “It’s not my fault you can’t talk out loud because your whole family’s asleep already! I can’t read the sign you’re holding up if you keep shaking!!”

 

More laughter followed. “Ohhh it’s like blue! Is it going to be the sky? Cool! I can’t wait to see your newly repainted room!”

 

Luhan cringed, hearing how happy Baekhyun’s voice sounded. It was as if he had completely forgotten about his fight with Luhan. “Where’s all your stuff? The floor?” Even more laughter. “I can see that, Yeol.”

 

Chanyeol. Of course.

 

“Lots of effort?!” Baekhyun just wouldn’t stop laughing. “That would be bad. But I know you’ve had dingy walls for a while now.”

 

“He’s so happy, even without me,” Luhan mumbled dejectedly. “Maybe Baek just doesn’t need me in his life. But it’s too late for me to realize how much I need him.”

 

Sehun shook his head. “No, listen, Baekhyun does need you, and he does care about you a lot. But what I’m trying to show you is that he doesn’t only need you. He has Chanyeol too.”

 

“Finallyyy! I’m still doing physics.... What are you doing now?” They could hear Baekhyun ask. “HEY! Just because I’m doing homework this late, it does not mean–” And again, more laughter. “That’s what you think.”

 

Sehun grasped onto Luhan’s hand, to draw his attention away from the open window. “It may not seem like it, but trust me, Baekhyun feels as torn up and hurt inside as you do about your friendship with him. You are one of his best friends and he’s really scared of losing you too. But the thing is, the only reason why Baekhyun isn’t breaking down and crying and the only reason why he is able to forget all his stresses and laugh and be happy is because of Chanyeol.”

 

Luhan grimaced, hearing Cha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter