Chapter 7

Forever and a day

          “Are you sure?”

          “I’m positive,” Minho tried to push Krystal forward, but she didn’t budge. Krystal tried to see what was beyond the overgrown hedges and bushes and vines, but it was impossible.

          “It looks kind of…forgotten.”

          “It is forgotten…to other people,” Minho admitted before attempting to shove Krystal forward. That time, Krystal moved a bit. Minho sighed. “There’s nothing wrong beyond this gate, I promise. You’ll love it.”

          “I will?” Krystal’s voice was full of doubt, and a hit of curiosity. “I swear, Minho, if this place has anything that’s creepy, violent, or weird, I’ll kick your .”

          “Sure.”

          “I mean it.”

         “Okay, okay, you’ll kick my if this place isn’t up to your level. Now, can you hurry and go in?” Minho gave her shoulder a light shove and Krystal shot him a look.

          Sighing, Krystal reached out to unlock the gate. “Fine, fine. But, since it’s a place you led me to, you can’t blame me for-“

          Krystal’s words faded into a hush when she was aware of the sudden beauty surrounding her. Looking around, walking in circles, she marveled at the lush trees and grass and the view of the water and, oh god, it was just perfect.

          “Tada.”

          Minho outstretched his hands, and Krystal just gaped in utter shock. Slowly walking around, Minho followed, grinning at her reaction.

          “This is amazing,” Krystal looked around, for the nth time, smiling and genuinely laughing. “Where is this place? I never heard about it.”

          “It used to be a park or some sort,” Minho shrugged. “It kind of faded away as the years went on. I used to come here when I was little and play soccer with friends.”

          “So, you’re coming here for the first time after, like, years?” Krystal stretched, enjoying the warmth from the open sun.

          “Nah, I come here whenever I feel stressed or sad. I always did something that made me feel a lot better,” Minho clucked his tongue. “And that is why you’re here right now. C’mere.”

          "I'm not a dog, Minho."

          Minho dragged Krystal to a certain area, where the grass was half-shaded from the trees and half-open and welcoming to the bright sun.

          “Stand here,” Minho instructed and Krystal just soundlessly agreed. “Okay, this is what you do. Position your legs, shoulder length apart. Put your hands to your mouth, no, don’t cover it, but, all right. Okay, and you just yell out your frustrations at the sea.”

          “Are you serious?” Krystal stepped back and looked at him, laughing. “Really? That’s what you do?”

          “Hey, it works,” Minho pointed at the spot next to him.

          “Come back, don’t move. I’ll go first, and the thing is, you’re not supposed to laugh at what the person is trying to relieve stress from.”

          ‘Got it, got it,” Krystal grinned. “Just go, yell.”

          Minho took a deep breath.

          “I am not SHINee’s slave! Jonghyun-hyung, stop ordering me around!

          Krystal burst out laughing, and Minho sharply looked at her, but softened at the sight of her. Pretending to be angry, he waved a finger at her.

          “You’re not supposed to laugh!” Minho felt the wind ruffle his already messy hair, and quickly, he patted his head to smooth it.

          "Sorry, sorry,” Krystal gasped, breathless from laughter. “It’s just that—alright, okay, okay. My turn.”

          “Okay, you go,” Minho waited expectantly.

          “Luna, stop eating all of my hidden snacks! I don’t even get how you even know where they are!”

          “Kibum-hyung, stop hogging Jinki-hyung all to yourself!

          “Manager-oppa, stop making Vic-unni so tired! Just because she’s the leader doesn’t mean that she should receive all the difficult work!

          Krystal stuck out her tongue, as if her manager was in front of her, and Minho chuckled at her childishness. She looked utterly adorable.

          “Taemin, stop whining!”

          “You should never have left. I’m sorry for being a bad friend!”

          Minho looked at Krystal as she continued to yell out her emotions to the blue water, hair blowing around her face. But instead of crying, Krystal looked somewhat happy, somewhat relieved to finally just yell it all out.

          “Hyungsun, do you hear me? You’re my best friend, you idiot! Why’d you leave?

          “I’m your look-alike, Hyungsun. I heard you were handsome. Thanks!”

          Krystal burst out laughing, looking at Minho, who suddenly had stepped one step closer to her side, their shoulders barely brushing.

          “Sorry, Minho, but Hyungsun was much more handsome! No offense.”

          “Oh really? And by the way, offense taken!”

          “Yeah.”

          The two stopped for a moment, to gasp in air and to clear their throats. All the yelling were starting to make their throats hurt. But, Minho had one more thing to say, and he wanted to say it now, when the time was right.

          “Krystal!”

          Krystal faced Minho, tilting her head. Minho just smiled before taking a deep breath. He squeezed his eyes shut.

          "What?"

          “I like you!”

          All was silent except for the brushing sounds of the dancing trees and the faint ripples of the water below them. Minho kept his eyes closed, but opened them quickly as soon as he felt her lips on his. It was a short kiss, short and sweet and simple, but she left it lingering enough to make it feel like it lasted longer than just a couple of seconds. He felt her smile against his lips before pulling back, a cheery smile on her face, her eyes bright, and her cheeks flushed pink.

          Krystal looked at him, then looked down, a small mischievous smile appearing on her face. Looking back at the anxious Minho, she tried to look confused.

          “I’m sorry, oppa,” Krystal giggled. “I didn’t hear what you just said. Can you say it one more time, so I can know what you said?”

           Minho blushed. “Are you serious?”

          “Please?” Krystal fumbled with her fingers, starting to feel a bit nervous for no reason.

          “Fine,” Minho placed his hands on her cheeks, and pulled her close, until her face was right in front of his. Both of them didn’t blink. Minho spoke slowly, pronouncing each word clearly as if he was speaking to a little child.

          “I. Like. You.”

          Krystal felt her heart skip a beat as she continued to look at Minho’s determined yet blushing face.

          “I like you, too."