Chapter 3

Forever and a day

                “So you’re both sisters, right?” Seung gi asked, even though he probably already knew. The audience laughed.

               “Where have you been for the past two years or so?” Hodong laughed. “They’re the famous Jung sisters. Everyone, please give them a warm round of applause!”

                As soon as the applauses died down, Jessica and Krystal got up, as if they practiced, and bowed at the same time.

                “Hello, I’m Jessica of Girl’s Generation-“

                “And I’m f(x)’s Krystal,” Krystal smiled cheekily and she and her sister sat down. They were sitting right next to each other. Minho was next to Krystal, much to his disapproval.

                For a while, all the attention was on Jessica and Krystal. Minho wasn’t jealous of Jessica, but he hated the fact that they continued to talk about Krystal. Honestly, what was there to talk about someone as annoying as her? That was the only thing he thought of. He tried to keep a straight face, hiding his boredom.

                “So, what picture do we have today? Of course, the Jung sisters!”

                Minho’s head snapped up. Interested, he raised an eyebrow and gave a quick glance at Krystal, who seemed rather nervous of what the picture would be.

                I hope it’s a really weird picture of her, so she’ll become so embarrassed and I can laugh. Please, be a weird picture, plllleassseee.

                “And here it is!” The picture was flipped and shown to the sisters, at an angle so the dozen cameras could catch what it was as well. Minho watched intently to see Krystal’s reaction. And to his glee, it wasn’t a good one. But, as he looked at Jessica as well, she seemed uncomfortable as well. Both weren’t laughing.

                Minho, not seeing the picture yet, turned to see what it actually was. It was a black and white picture of what appeared to be Krystal, Jessica, and some other boy. He could easily tell who was who. Looking carefully, Krystal didn’t look that bad. In fact, she actually looked kind of baby-cute.

                Even though there were coos and comments of how cute they were, Krystal and Jessica didn’t say a word. Still, other guests weren’t aware of the discomfort. One, Minho couldn’t tell who, suddenly asked a question.

                “Who’s the little boy?”

                Everyone turned to look at Krystal and Jessica. Jessica finally seemed to focus again. The first thing she did was reach out to hold Krystal’s hand.

                “Soojung,” Jessica murmured softly, but loud enough for only Minho to hear, since he was closest. “Soojung, it’s okay.”

                Suddenly aware of the changed atmosphere, Hodong spoke, looking concerned.

                “Is there something wrong?”

                “He was our childhood friend,” Krystal finally spoke. Her voice shook and she looked fragile. It reminded Minho of when she fell because of her ankle a few days ago.

                “Really?” Seung gi seemed glad that things were starting to pick up.”How long ago was this picture taken?”        

                “About…ten years ago?”  Jessica answered, but she sounded quiet and nervous. Minho noticed that she kept on looking at Krystal, and didn’t let go of her hand.

                “Ah, that’s a really long time ago,” Hodong nodded his head. “Are both of you still in touch with him?”

                “Not really-“ Jessica started, quickly before Krystal could open . But she was interrupted.

                “He died.”

                Silence filled the studio, and Minho heard everyone catch their breath. He did the same, and his eyes were wide with surprise.

                “I’m so sorry,” Seung gi immediately said, looking awkward. “We shouldn’t have….the picture…I mean-“

                “It’s okay,” Krystal gave a big grin, but it was obvious that it was forced. “It was a long time ago. Things happen.”

                Krystal glanced at Minho and gave a small smile before turning back to the MCs. Before he could react, she continued to speak.

                “He was actually a lot like Minho-oppa,” Krystal looked at Jessica, who just watched her little sister with teary eyes. “Right? Like Minho-oppa, he was strong-willed and confident and very competitive.”

                “He must have been very handsome, as well,” Hodong smiled.

                “He was the best-looking in our town, no doubt,” Jessica spoke, and Krystal nodded. “He was also very cute.”

                “Why don’t you do a little message to him?” Seung gi suggested gently.

                Krystal nodded and looked at Jessica, who just squeezed her hand. Clearing , she looked at the cameras at the front and started with a big smile.

                “Hey, how have you been? Look, I’m doing a special message just for you on national TV. You should be proud to have a best friend like me. Sooyeon unni is here, too. And, there’s Kang Hodong ahjushhi, as well! You were such a big fan of his. You were always glued to the screen whenever he was on a show. He knows who you are, now. He thinks you’re handsome! But, do you know? You’re such a bad friend. Leaving this world first…and always making me cry. I wish you could come back to my life and I could nag you and hug you and be by your side. I love you, Sooyeon unni loves you. We both miss you and I’m sorry.”

-

                “Follow me,” Minho grabbed Krystal’s hand as soon as the recording was over. He marched with determination until they were both in a quiet, dark area.

                “What are you doing?” Krystal furiously yanked her hand away from his grasp. “What’s wrong with you?”

                “It’s okay,” Minho turned around, so his back was facing her. “You can cry now.”

                “What?”

                “I saw. You don’t want to cry on a show. You don’t want to be shown weaker than you already were. No one’s here and I’m not looking. So, cry. It’s not good to hold in your tears-“

                Krystal’s sobbing made his voice falter. He never heard her cry before, let alone see her cry. But just hearing her made his heart break and a feeling swelled in his chest he didn’t really know how to explain. Even though he said he wouldn’t look, he turned around and gave her a hug.

                And, Krystal accepted it and continued to cry her heart out.