Seoul

My Friend, the Flower Boy

There wasn't my much that I remembered about Seoul, besides the fact that it was very different from where I grew up.

For it to be so late, the city was still very much alive. I stood in place, admiring the people, buildings, and flashing lights. Just a few days ago, coming to a place like this seemed highly unlikely. My fantasies were shortly interrupted by a rude voice exclaiming, "Move, will ya?"

I turned to look at the source of the voice, a handsome young man wearing a school uniform. That's another thing about Seoul: Even though the people are pretty, they also hold a superiority complex.

I quickly crossed to street, ducking into an alleyway to think. I wasn't going back home, but I wasn't prepared to live my life here. However, without money and a place to stay, I was going to live just like I did back home.

I had family here, I was sure of that. Unfortunately, all of them wanted nothing to do with me. All but one, my Aunt Seyeon. Only thing is, ever since she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, she's distanced herself from the rest of us. I pulled out my phone and searched though my contacts.

She was there.

Oh, thank God.

I dialed her number in and put the phone to my ear. It rang three times before I started to reconsider the plan. I mean, it's been 14 years since I've last seen her. What if she gets angry at me for calling her, of all people? What if she starts judging my mom for letting me run away? What if...

"Hello?"

Too late.

"Hi, Aunt Seyeon." I spoke softly into the receiver.

She gasped, "Mikyung-ah, it's been long! How are you?"

"I'm fine. Listen, I'm in Seoul and-"

"Oh! Where are you staying?" She asked excitedly.

I stood silently before saying, "I don't know."

That was all Aunt Seyeon needed to hear. She quickly gave me her address and told me the fastest way to get there, reacting way different than expected.

______

"So, you're telling me you ran away? Have you had any calls from your mother?" I shook my head. Aunt Seyeon set her coffee on the tanks and sighed.

"I guess you can stay here...but you have to go to school." She said. One thing my mom was completely against was school. My brother had to practically beg her for a semester, on the terms that he gets nothing but As on everything. She taught me at home.

I slowly nodded, thinking that it would be fun to actually make friends for a change.

I was so wrong.