Plead

Just A Replacement

 

You wiped the cashier counter top clean and blew your cheeks. Another day had gone by at Delight café. It was the summer holidays and you had been offered a part time job at the café nearby your house. Your phone suddenly vibrated in your skirt pocket. You hurriedly took off your gloves and fumbled with your phone.
 
"Yobeosaeyo? Ne, unnie. Meet you at the park now?" It was your twin sister. She was born only a few minutes earlier than you but you insisted calling her unnie. 
 
You changed out of your uniform and grabbed your purse. You greeted your boss and colleagues goodbye as you rushed out of the café. *What does unnie wants to talk to me about? She seemed very urgent.* 
 
"Unnie! Yoomi unnie!" You waved as jogged in her direction. She stood up from a bench and beckoned you to come quicker. 
 
"Chanmi-ah, can you please do me a favour?" She searched your eyes once you were in front of her and sat down again.  
 
"Wae, unnie? Are you facing any problems? You can always count on me, you know?" You beamed. 
 
"Chanmi-ah, please take over my place as a lead vocalist and visual of Destiny," Yoomi looked at the ground, "I'm going to Paris to study fashion in 2 days time." She warily peered at you, anticipating your reaction. 
 
You stopped swinging your legs and gawked at her. "Yah unnie! Are you out of your mind? You said that you are going to become an idol so as to find mum. You have trained for the past 2 years and now you are giving up?! No, I'm not allowing that," you blew air through your nose, stood up and turned to leave.
 
"Chanmi-ah, wait! I bought my plane ticket already. Don't you know how badly I want to study fashion? This is such a rare opportunity for me to get a scholarship to Paris. I don't want to miss the chance. And finding mum, I have you. That's why I need to become me so that we can find mum quickly," Yoomi grabbed your hand and tried to reason with you. 
 
"What?! You bought your plane ticket already?" You shook your head and frowned deeply. 
 
Yoomi nodded warily and rubbed her hands together. You sighed and bit your bottom lip. *If unnie is pleading me like this, how can I reject her? After all, she had done a lot for me.*
 
Your dad had passed away when both of you were only ten. Shortly after that, your mum abandoned the both of you and got married with another man. Throughout the years, it has always been Yoomi who is constantly at your side, caring for you, comforting you when you are down. Although, she was the same age as you, she was more mature than you and always ensured that you are under proper care. She had given up a lot of things so that you are able to do what you liked. Now, such a rare opportunity had come by, of course, you won't want her to miss it. 
 
"It's okay if you don't want it," Yoomi forced a smile as she ruffled your hair gently.
 
"Okay okay, fine, I agree. But why must I be you? Why can't you tell the company that you quit and decide to let me replace you? And am I supposed to live my life as you from now onwards?" You bombarded her with questions.  
 
Yoomi smiled slightly and pinched your cheeks.
 
"I knew my twinnie is the best! Our debut has already been delayed for a long time. If I tell them that I quit and you will replace me, they will definitely have to take time to train you. This means that Destiny's debut will be pushed back further. It's unfair to the other girls who had been working very hard on the choreography and songs. Plus, I'm coming back after one year so just hang in there for me, please?" Yoomi explained. 
 
"Are you sure that I won't get found out by the members?" You asked, still unsure about this idea. 
 
"No, you won't. Meet me tomorrow at Myungdong. I rented a small practice room for us. Tomorrow is my free day so I'm going to train you until you are able to pull off as me perfectly. Good night, sis! Duty calls, I have to run along. See you tomorrow!" Yoomi winked at you before running off, her hand phone at her ear. 
 
You shook your head and laughed lightly. *Unnie is really something. I hope I won't get found out before she comes back.* Pumping your fist in the air, you shouted, "FIGHTING!". The people on he streets stared at you weirdly as you ducked your head in embarrassment. You picked up your purse and walked to the bus stop.