Pure as Light

Whispers of the Heart

Tiffany was in a particulary good mood this morning for no particular reason.

Perhaps it was the weather...

The sun shone brightly and not a cloud appeared in the sky.

The birds sang gleefully, which filled the air with a joyful atmosphere.

She smiled happily at the elderly man in front of her.

"Here you go sir," she said as she handed him a large loaf of bread.

The man bowed deeply.

"Thank you! Thank you so much princess! Now I have enough to feed my grandchildren."

Before he could leave Tiffany stopped him

"Here," she said as she handed him a small bushel of apples, "for your grandchildren."

The man's eyes grew wide.

"Thank Your Highness! Thank you oh so very much!"

He bowed excessively until the guards had to gently lead him away.

She gave him one last eye-smile and moved onto the next person in line.

The hardworking members of the working class lined the streets of kingdom everyday.

At the palace, the king provided food for those who couldn't afford it.

And everyday the beautiful princess of the land would be the one to distribute it.

She was both known for her beauty and kindness.

Everyone would crowd the dirt roads just so they could have a glimpse at their princess.

Today was no exception as once again the busy streets were filled with citizens from every class.

Others crowded at their windows.

Tiffany merely smiled kindly at her subjects as she went back to her duty.

"Princess?" called a voice from behind her.

Tiffany turned around to face her personal guard, Sooyoung.

"Yes Soo?" she asked confused.

Usually no one bothered to disrupt her time with the people.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience Your Highness, but your father would like to see you."

Tiffany cocked her face to the side.

"Right now Soo?"

Sooyoung nodded.

The princess sighed.

"Hold on a minute Sooyoung."

She now faced a little girl of about six.

The small girl wore a dirty dress and her face and feet were streaked with dirt.

What made the scene even more heartbreaking was that she held a baby in her arms.

Tiffany smiled and knelt down to face the girl.

"Hello little one, what is your name?"

"Cora..." she responded quietly.

"Such a beautiful name and who is that in your arms?"

"This is my brother, Micah. He was born two moons ago..."

The baby giggled as Tiffany tickled him.

"What a sweet little boy... where are your parents little ones?"

The little girl looked down as tears formed in her eyes.

"Mama is sick and Papa left with the guild to find work. He said he will back in three moons..."

Tiffany knew that this story was common within the working class.

Fathers going off to work and the wives and children left to fend for themselves.

The princess took pity on the little girl.

She was at the age where she should be playing with her friends.

Not waiting in large line for a morsel of food.

Tiffany sighed as she knew she couldn't interfere personally in the lives of her people.

But she wanted to do what she could do to help.

She handed the little girl a large basket.

It was filled with fruits, vegetables, bread, cheese, milk, some meat... enough food to last for two weeks.

She also added a package of herbs for medicine.

"Here you are little ones. Make sure to boil the herbs and give the medicine to your mother."

The little girl nodded and tried to carry the heavy basket.

Yet with her brother in her arms she found it difficult.

Tiffany smiled at the sight and called for one of the many soldiers.

"Please this little lady back to her home."

The soldier bowed.

"As you wish Your Highness."

The little girl finally smiled.

"Thank you princess! When I grow up I want to be just as kind and as beautiful as you!"

Tiffany waved happily as she watched the trio leave.

"Okay Soo. Now I'm ready to leave. Lead the way."

As the young princess followed Sooyoung she was left to her thoughts and as usual Tiffany thought back to her deceased mother.

*Tiffany's flashback*

The little princess sat on the queen's lap.

She watched with eyes bulging as her mother, the queen, went through the dirty streets of the poor.

Although they traveled in the royal carriage, the queen managed to open the window to the side.

Through the small gap she handed out medicine, bread, and even candies for the children.

Tiffany watched her mother hand a child covered in a moldy blanket some bread.

She smiled kindly at the underfed boy as Tiffany stared horrified.

"Umma why are you so kind to them? They are dirty and they smell bad..." whined the princess childishly.

The queen chuckled at her young daughter.

"Aigo. My princess you must remember not to judge things for their outward appearance."

Tiffany was confused.

"What do you mean umma?"

The mother smiled and pinched the princess's nose affectionately.

"What I mean is that just because a person may be bad looking on the outside, that doesn't mean they have a bad heart."

The queen hugged Tiffany tightly and kissed her hair.

"Miyoung-ah... I want you to grow up into a kind-hearted lady. Which means you have to believe that there is good every single person. Do you think you can do that sweetie?"

Tiffany nodded.

"Arasso umma. I will not call them dirty or stink anymore because they could be a really nice person."

The queen gave her an eye-smile, the same smile that the princess had inherited.

"You're so smart Miyoung-ah~ I love you so much my princess."

"I love you too umma!"

*End of flashback*

Tiffany looked up to the blue skies and smiled, tears b her eyes.

"Umma... although you aren't here with me anymore, I'm still keeping our promise. I love you umma~"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A girl dressed in pure white robes sat at the edge of a small pool of water.

Her robes and gowns were billowed around her and they flowed freely as a gentle wind blew.

The silver and gold decorations of phoenixes indicated that she was a sorceress.

Im Yoona.

At age of 23 she was the only and the most powerful sorceress within the kingdom.

Yoona's eyes sparkled a light blue as she stare out into the water.

She chanted a small spell under her breath.

Yoona then closed her eyes as she concentrated.

A pure sky blue light of magnimus slowly trickled out of her body as it began to envelope the young girl.

Soon she was nothing but a large column of light.

The visions that Yoona saw today was a flashback.

In the back of her mind she wondered why she was reliving her memories.

What was the significance?

Nevertheless Yoona emptied her mind of thoughts and began to be immersed by her visions.

*Flashback*

Yoona could see the past, present, and future ever since she was young.

Her village once finding out about her gift, hailed her as a goddess.

They brough offerings to her humble home and all day Yoona would read fortunes for the villagers.

Fortunes on children, marriage, crops... whatever greed that called upon human beings.

Needless to say she was very much abused for her powers.

Not physically of course but Yoona was never allowed to leave the tiny room of her small house.

Her parents although made sure that she was always well fed.

It wasn't long until the Ims became quite rich due to their daughter.

Their greed grew and they moved faraway from the small village.

The family traveled all around the kingdom.

Yoona continued to read fortunes and soon the knowledge of her power spread.

People traveled far and wide in search of the doe-eyed girl.

Some to heal their illnesses.

Others to talk to their deceased loved ones.

And the majority seeked a way to satisfy the darkness within their hearts.

The hunger for material goods that could never be quenched.

Yoona was forced to use her power of foresight to predict matches where money was bet.

Fights between street gang lords.

And on it went.

By the time she was eight her fame was unbelievable.

Especially in the underground world where she was hailed as the absolute weapon.

One such man who ruled much of the streets had heard of the special little girl.

He longed to make her his own personal aid.

He dreamed of ruling not just the streets but the whole kingdom.

He knew this could be accomplished with the power of the doe-eyed girl.

So on a particular night he set off to capture Yoona.

It was simple enough to break into the Im residence.

He had hired assasins who were skilled at the art of murder.

The guards were easily killed.

The maids and butlers were captured and sold on the slave market.

The parents were brutally murdered.

As the man roamed in search of the large estate for Yoona, he heard a beautiful voice.

A high-pitched sweet tinkling of bells.

"It is I that you seek for sir..."

He opened a small door to expose a lavishly decorated room.

In the center of the room Yoona sat on a small cushion.

She was dressed in midnight blue robes.

And her eyes were piercing.

He recognized quickly that those eyes were not of an eight-year-old girl.

They were the eyes of woman who had seen more than thousands years of life.

"Did you know I was coming?"

Yoona looked at him carefully.

"Of course I did."

"Then you know why I am here?"

"Yes."

The man was amused and he grinned evily.

"Then why did you not stop me? With knowledge of foresight you could have stopped the blood shed that occurred tonight."

Yoona blinked back the tears that threatened to fall.

"I only see the future. It is fate that dictates it. I cannot stop what is meant to happen."

"So your parents were meant to die tonight?"

The tears slowly started to fall.

"They fell to the greed of money and fame. One must pay with your life since you cannot carry that over to the next world."

"Oh ho. Then does that mean you will willingly come to me little one?"

"I will go where fate and destiny tell me to go. But before I do I will tell you that your wish will not be fulfilled."

The man froze in his tracks.

"My wish?"

Yoona nodded.

"You wish to rule this kingdom. Yet you will end up just like the others. You will loose to the darkness of your heart. Power will fuel your greed and you will find an early death. The human heart longs for happiness which money cannot bring. If you continue to follow this path your destiny will not be fulfilled."

"Destiny? And what is that little one?"

"That is something you must find on your own. The wheels of fortune spin. The rest is up to you."

Yoona then stood up and walked towards the door.

"W-Where are you going?"

She grinned.

"I'm off to meet my own destiny..."

Suddenly hundreds of soldiers stormed into the Im estate.

They captured the assasins and quickly made their way to Yoona.

Once at the room they found the man who was now shocked with the revelation that Yoona had revealed.

The soldiers wasted no time in killing the man.

"Miss Im are you all right? Did he hurt you?" asked one of the lietenants.

Yoona shook her head.

"Who was he?"

"One of the most notorious crime lords in our land. We're glad to have finally found you."

"And who has sent for me?"

"That would be me..." said a loud and deep voice.

The soldiers parted to either side, creating a path revealing the king.

"I've been waiting for you Yoona."

Yoona grinned.

"You're the man that will lead me to her... my destined person. I'm coming with you."

The king smiled as Yoona took his hand without hesitation.

*End of flashback*

Yoona opened her eyes.

"I guess I will finally get to meet her..."

Her attendant who had been standing behind her gave Yoona a perplexed look.

"Who miss?"

The doe-eyed woman smiled.

"My destined person Seohyun-ah... the one with eyes of the devil and stone heart..."

"She sounds scary..."

Yoona laughed.

"Scary or not she is meant for me and I am meant for her."

Yoona got up from the edge of the pool.

"The king is expecting me, let us go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yoona!" cried Tiffany happily as she spotted the young sorceress.

The princess ran towards the doe-eyed girl as Sooyoung also broke into a sprint.

Tiffany grabbed Yoona's hands and held them in her own.

"Are you going to see father as well?"

"Yes he wants to see both of us."

"Miss Yoona, where is Hyoyeon?" asked Sooyoung.

The tall guard only spot Seohyun. Hyoyeon was supposed to be on duty protecting Yoona.

"She'll join us shortly...."

"YOONG HOW COULD YOU LEAVE ME LIKE THAT?!"

Yoona turned to find a disheveled Hyoyeon.

"It was time to go so I went."

Tiffany hid a giggle behind her hand.

She was used to Yoona's ways.

The doe-eyed girl acted on her instinct alone, making it difficult for the guards who were supposed to follow her.

"Come on Yoona-ah we shouldn't keep father waiting~!"

The two girls walked quietly.

"Why do you think father called for us Yoona-ah?" asked Tiffany as they reached the throne room.

Yoona gave her a knowing smile.

"Fate has opened its doors. Destiny has set the path. Revenge swirls omniously. Love lingers close. Fortune's wheel has begun to spun."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now introducing Im Yoona and Tiffany Hwang.

What did you think?