Settling In

A Helping Hand [HIATUS]

The two kids sat on the couch, watching the Korean SNL, sipping the remanants of their hot chocolate. It was getting late and the storm outside wasn't getting any better. Taeyeon started to yawn.

Sunny looked over at her. "You tired?"

Taeyeon nodded as another yawn took over her. "A bit..." 

"I'll show you to your room," Sunny said, but for some reason Taeyeon wasn't standing up to follow him. She was passed out.

Sunny rolled his eyes and chuckled at the delicate girl. He picked her up and carried her to his room- the only bedroom in his apartment. He set her on the bed and tucked her in when he remembered the plush peas he gave her. He went back into the kitchen to grab them. He put the toy under the covers and studied Taeyeon's face, smiling as he went over her unchanged beautiful features. He stood up and left the room, turning off the lights and closing the door behind him.

He headed back to the couch and laid down. He placed his head on the arm-rest and sighed inwardly as he listened to the pitter-patter of the rain on the ceiling. 

A few hours passed and he was finally about to sleep when he heard a dripping noise. Damn it... He got up and found the source of the noise. He grabbed a bucket from under the kitchen sink and placed it under the leak. Should have gotten a room on the bottom floor... He looked down as he headed back to the living room, watching the floor slowly move as he walked. He headed to his bedroom, placing his hand on the doorknob when he remembered her. He couldn't help but smile. I can't believe she's here... no more loneliness... no more depression... at least... at least that's one less thing to worry about.

He took off his hand from the knob and headed back to the living room to sleep. He was content. This time, he fell asleep instantly... with a smile on his face.


Sunny opened his eyes slowly, only to see his reflection in the big, clear eyes of another. Sunny tried not to stare. 

"I'm hungry," she said, snapping him out of his trance. 

Sunny blinked a couple times. "W-what?"

"I'm hungrrrrrryyyy..." she said, a bit more annoyed than before.

"O...oh! Ok," Sunny sprang up on the couch, "So what would you like to eat?"

Taeyeon kicked her feet around. "An omelet! Egg whites, tomatoes, turkey, and parsley."

What?

Taeyeon pouted, "What, you aren't going to make it for me?"

Sunny bolted into the kitchen.

As Sunny was cooking, a thought crossed his mind. Why am I giving her everything she wants? I'm not some butler she can just push around... He flipped the omelet. 

Taeyeon sat at the table, still very quiet. She hadn't really talked much since last night, and Sunny was starting to grow worried. Did the whole incident really scar her that much? He scooped the food up with the spatula and placed it neatly on a plate. I'm glad I got to her in time, though... 

He put the plate down in front of her and sat opposite of Taeyeon. He sat there, twiddling his fingers as she dug into her food.

Silence filled the air for a few moments... Sunny didn't know where to begin. He was about to speak when Taeyeon spoke up. She put her fork down.

"Sunny... y-you said that I'm your friend..." Sunny was taken back by the sudden talk from the usually quiet girl.

"...yeah, I said that."

"Do you... do you really mean that?"

"Of course I do; I don't say things I don't mean, Taeyeon."

Taeyeon took a shaky breath. What kind of person is this guy? No one's this nice without wanting something. Taeyeon looked back up at Sunny and flashed a smile. "Okay. Thanks, Sunny."


A few hours had passed and the two decided to watch some cartoons, it being a Saturday morning. Luckily Sunny was off work, though unfortunately he forgot about some plans he had with his friends.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes at the younger boy, his own eyes bright from the exciting colors moving along the screen. I've never really met someone who seemed more childish than me. She laid back comfortably on Sunny's couch, snuggling into the warm pajamas that Sunny gave her. She wondered why she got the blue ones while Sunny got the pink set, but she eventually shrugged the thought off. She listened to the cold morning air blow by the apartment.

Eventually, there was a knock at the door. Then the sound of the gears of a lock turning. Click!

"Sunny! Are you ready for-" a young boy about the same age as Sunny barged into the small apartment. He was a lot taller than Sunny, tan, handsome, and athletic-looking. He had a devilish smile. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you had company," he wiggled his eyebrows at his close friend after seeing a Sunny-clothed girl in his apartment so early in the morning.

Sunny's eyes widened as he realized what his friend just said. He quickly shut him up with a sock to the face. Luckily Taeyeon was pretty oblivious, so she just smiled at the intruder.

"Ew- dude your feet must be really sweaty," his friend said.

"Sunny, aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?" Taeyeon asked, getting up from the couch.

"Yeah, Sunny, aren't you going to introduce me to your girl-" sock #2 found its way to the boy's face.

"Eugh... w-well, Sunny, we were going to discuss the vacation over lunch today, so I thought I'd come early... sorry, I didn't know that someone else beat me here," he said.

Sunny waved his hand, "It's fine. Taeyeon, this is my immature friend, Kwon Yul. I'm sorry you had the unfortunate chance of meeting him."

Yul punched Sunny's arm. "Hey!"

Taeyeon smiled as Sunny winced from the sting of Yul's strong repremand. 

"So that trip. Sunny, we-"

"I thought I told you already, I dont' have time for a vacation. Not to mention I can't afford it," Sunny interrupted.

"Aw... Sunny, please! I know you have a lot on your plate right now, but you need to relax a bit! It's been ages since our last hang out."

"I-"

"You should go," Taeyeon said, "I mean, you look like you need a vacation."

"Thanks." Sunny said sarcastically, then sighed. "I'm sorry, you just don't understand my situation right now..."

Taeyeon looked at her surroundings once more. "I think I do," she said, a bit disgusted at the run down homely place.

Sunny shook his head, a bit frustrated and offended. "No, you don't."

"Listen Sunny, Jessie's waiting for us in the car. You can take Taeyeon with you too. Just at least talk with us. You still haven't explained-"

"Yul, I told you I can't go..."

"Sunny, c'mon, I kind of want to go out too," Taeyeon pouted. Sunny cringed and sighed yet again.

"Er- f...fine. We'll be there in 20 minutes," Sunny said. Yul jumped for joy. 

"Thanks Taeyeon!" He threw her a big bear hug, "You'll have to come along with us too! We have some female friends I'm sure you'd love. See you in 20!" he ran out the door.

"What did you get me into, Taeyeon..." Sunny shook his head.

"Um..." 

"Sigh... just... I'll get you a change of clothes. Just go get ready," Sunny waved Taeyeon off as he headed into his bedroom. Taeyeon tilted her head. He is hiding something... Should have thought as much.

Then Taeyeon thought back to what Yul had just said. You'll have to come along with us too! We have some female friends I'm sure you'd love..." Her heart skipped a beat in a way that was... childish? Foreign? Either way, it was a nostalgic feeling. She was going to meet people. People who didn't know who she was, people who she could become friends with- people who she could actually, possibly rely on when she needed them, not just the other way around. Was this... starting over? Maybe befriending him... wasn't a mistake after all...