The One in a Million

Second Choices

Jieun eats her breakfast while watching the other students playing and chatting in the patio.  Her gaze stops wondering and it becomes blurry.  She swears that she could recognize him even if a million people surrounded him.  His presence is engraved in her mind.  She starts to move her breakfast around as if looking for something but she can’t do that while he is approaching with his friends.  She looks to her sides to avoid visual contact with him, she wants to look at him but it would hurt.

  He walks by her, not even bothering to turn his head.  A heavy burden falls over her and the tears start to form, Don’t cry Jieun, not in front of people, she bites her sandwich once again but it doesn’t want to go down.  The knot in doesn’t let it.  She gulps even harder and holds back the tears.  It is a deaf pain. It hurts and at the same time it doesn’t, it is not there.

                Hyukjae comes and wakes her up in the exact same way he has done since they met, tapping her shoulder slightly.

-“Don’t choke,” Hyukjae manages to pull a smile out of Jieun,”What happened yesterday? You were there one second and then puff! Disappeared.  What happened?”

-“Oh, I-“

-“Before you say anything, think of a good excuse that also backs up the fact that you were not in after school teaching.”

-“No excuses, it’s just that…I thought you were going to fight and I didn’t want to be near if that happened, it seemed to be serious, the problem between you and the other guy.  And for some reason I felt sick after school so I called my parents to pick me up, that’s all.”

Hyukjae shakes his head, “Don’t buy your story but anyway.  Now, it’s time for you to meet my friends.”

                Hyukjae starts to walk and Jieun sees herself forced to follow him.

                By coincidence, they find Jiyeon leaning against the wall outside her classroom.  Jieun smiles slightly but she turns her head around.  Donghae gets out of the classroom.

-“Woah!! Jiuen-ah, finally!!” Donghae shouts loudly and catches Jiyeon’s attention.  Donghae briskly approaches Jieun and hugs her.  She is shocked but then giggles at his randomness.

-“Hey, hey, let go…let go, you just met her,” Hyukjae smiles and separates him from Jieun.

-“What? I feel like she’s my sister already.  Come here, I’ll introduce you to everybody else.”

For the rest of the recess, Donghae introduces her to the other boys and the girls who play little jokes on her but she responds in a witty way and everybody feels comfortable with her.  For the first time in her life, she feels like she belongs there.

 -“Hyo, you better be careful.  Don’t let her take your man down.”  Amber says out loud as a joke.

-“Ah, no, no, no!” Jieun says shaking her hands.  It was a joke but her voice sounds preoccupied and serious, everybody then laughs at her cute innocence and awkwardness.

-“She is really funny.  She really fits with us.  Jieun, do you wanna hang out with us today?”  Donghae proposes.

-“Ahm…I’m not so sure, I have to study…the hell, of course I will go.  Hang out where?”

-“There is a meeting today for our dance group.  Do you know how to dance, Jieun?”

-“Not really, I only have the good spirits.”

-“That’s good enough; we will all meet at the teacher parking lot.  Okay?”  Hyukjae says.

Before he can say anything else the bell rings.

-“Oh, I’m leaving, see you all there.”  And Jieun sets off running.

-“Wait, Jieun I’ll go with you.”  And Donghae runs behind her.

-“What are you doing?”  Jieun asks laughing.

-“I want to know what classroom you are in.”

They then jog side by side and Jiyeon sees them until they disappear around the corner.  Donghae and Jieun are now racing.  Across the main patio, she spots that one in a million.   He is also running in the contrary direction with his friends.  She feels her gaze going around like crazy until both look at each other.  After so long, they look at each other in the eyes again.  It is all in slow motion and suddenly only they both exist in the world.  She is not shaking anymore.  She is not afraid anymore. She only feels pain.  What a beautiful scene.  Both running in contrary directions.  It’s just like in her dreams.  He will always go the opposite side; he will never run by her side, with her.  He will always run away from her and she after him, but in the wrong direction.

How lucky she is…she saw him again.  People didn’t exist before him.  There are no people if he is there and she is just fine by looking at him, at least from afar, at least in her dreams and her painful reality.  There is only him, she hates that but she wants him to be there, even if it hurts.  The sound of her heart breaking, it doesn’t beat anymore.  She feels her nostrils dilate and tears fill her eyes.  It just happens.  To her, he is the one in a million; to him, she is one of the million.  She knows that and yet he makes her feel happy, she loves him.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  Finally!!! Updated since a long time ago!! Oh my God! 11 subs! Thank you so much!!  I hope you are not dissapointed, I really think this is the chapter in which it is making more sense, certainly there will be more updates, stay tuned!! Thank you for reading my story, I hope you enjoy it the rest of this time.  Comment, comment and subscribe. THANK YOU :D