Chapter 5

Second Choices

-”This is my first year in this high school, I moved from the United States.”

-”Wow!  You come from America? How can your Korean be so good.”

-”Well, it’s not like I didn’t speak it with my parents.”

-”Oh, I see.”  JiEun is able to sense of hostility in Jiyeon’s voice and stands up.

-”Amh, it’s been nice meeting you, the bell is gonna ring, and my classroom is pretty far away, so I’ll get going, goodbye.”

-”Wait!” Jiyeon shouted in a desperate voice, “w-would you take me to my classroom?  I still don’t know where it exactly is.”

-”Which classroom are you in?”  JiEun says reluctantly.

-”I don’t know.”

-”I mean the number.”

-Uh, I think it was 123-B.”

-”You think *sighs* we’ll figure it out, let’s go.”

They walk quietly, none of them has a desire to do so.  Not until they get to main patio of the school where students are hanging around, Jieun stops to locate the classroom.

-”Oh, this is interesting, your classroom is just behind mine, in another building but still, hehe, I don’t really go up there.”  Jiyeon remains silent walking right behind her with her arms crossed and a pouting face.  Is she even listening to me?  When they are taking the steps to enter the two-story building, Jiyeon calls for her.

-”Hey,” Jieun turns around,”are you lesbian?”

-”What the hell?!  Why are you asking me that?!  I mean, nothing against them, they’re people but still...do you think I’m lesbian? Whoa, now I get it, that’s why you were so weird all this time, ah seriously...hey, how can you be so freaking judgemental?  Go up there yourself, seriously I never thought there would be people like you!”  Jieun starts to walk down the steps.

-”No, wait, please!” Jiyeon stops her, “I’m sorry, it’s just that you act like guy, sorry, ok?”  Jieun feels as if her legs were to become jelly from anger.

-”Are you done dissing me already?” Jiyeon stops her again.

-”No, I’m serious, I’m sorry, it’s very scary, I just-I don’t know anybody here!”

-I think you really do, you already make up your mind about someone and the worst of all is that you believe your lame conclusions, now I know why you were alone back there!”

Jieun finally makes her way to her classroom in the other building across from Jiyeon’s.  Jiyeon is about to cry but the the bell rings and they both hurry to get to their classrooms.




 

After school, Jieun goes immediately to where Hyukjae told her to go.  From a distance she identifies him standing in the middle of the big crowd of students.  He is looking the opposite way she is coming.  She follows his gaze and finds that he’s looking at a girl that is coming towards him rushing her step until they meet and hug each other.  They break from the embrace and he gives her a peck on the forehead.  Jieun quickly stops and hides behind the monument.  So he has a girlfriend, I better shouldn’t bother, I’ll wait here.  She watches as some people stop to say their goodbyes to the charming couple, there are some high-fives and some small-talk in between, it doesn’t take long; finally the couple is left alone.

-”So, are you coming or what?”

-”No, I’m sorry, I have already planned something.”

-”Planned something?  Like what?  Is it really that more important than the dance meeting?”

-”Do you remember the girl from yesterday?  She was the one I talked you about like, a year ago, the strange one who was at the cafe all alone.”  Hyoyeon frowns trying to remember

-”What’s with her?” And her facial expressions disappear.

-”I invited her to hang out, I think that, oh, she’s over there.” Hyukjae points at Jieun and she gets out of the hideout and approaches them waving and smiling.

-”Funny, you seem to like her.”  Hyukjae who was looking in Jieun’s direction, quickly turned her head toward Hyoyeon.

-”What?--Ah, Jieun.”

-”Hi, ahm, I’m Jieun, you must be Hyukjae’s girlfriend, it’s nice to meet you.”

-”Hyoyeon.  So, Hyukjae already told you about me, what has he said?”

-”Uh, nothing actually, I just figured out you were together *laughs* you two make such a cute couple,” they both let out a giggle, “did I say anything wrong?”

-”No, it’s just a bit awkward,” Hyoyeon says, “Hyukjae already told me you’re gonna hang out, so I shouldn’t be here.  I’m leaving, hun.” She kisses him on the cheek.  “It’s been nice meeting you; hope we get to know each other more next time, bye, see you tomorrow.”

Hyoyeon leaves, Hyukjae’s eyes are fixed on her and sighs.

-”I know, it’s awkward...but you still are a cute couple,” Jieun snaps.

-”Why do you keep saying that? It’s really weird. Haven’t you ever seen other couples or what?”

-”Not this close actually, no.” Jieun shakes her head.

-”Jealous?”

-”Yeah, a little.”

-”Phmh, I didn’t really expected that, but, whatever, let’s go.”

They both leave the school without talking to each other.  They turn around a corner and in the street there’s nobody else but them and a luxurious, black car in which Jiyeon gets in with the help of a man in suit that closes the door behind her and heads to the driver’s seat.  The car is started and it leaves.  Jieun looks at it frowning and Hyukjae notices her.

-”Are you still serious about the couple thing?”

-”Hah? No, no, it’s not it.”

-”It’s going to be a kind of long way to get there, so tell me, what were you doing alone at the cafe that day?”

-”I was just there, alone.  What’s so weird in that?”

-”You were crying...”  Jieun’s eyes widen and lowers her head.

-”That...I was just sad, because...because I graduated and thought high school was going to be a lot harder than middle school, it was really scary.”

-”Is it really hard for you now?”

-”Yeah, but thanks God, I'll only go to after-school teaching 3 days a week, way better than last year!  My parents finally understood, I was about to go crazy last year, I even got white spots from stress!”

-”I see.”

-”What about you? How was your first year?”

-”I didn’t take it that seriously so I kind of failed a bit, I wasn’t taking after-school teaching last year, this year I will, but it’s a form of punishment from my parents, not because I really need it.”

-”You don’t?”

-”No, I’m actually a smart cookie, it’s about priorities and stuff, parents you know.”

-”And why did you ‘kind of’ failed?”

-”I was more focused in a dance group I’m part in-”

-”Is your girlfriend there too?

-”Yup”

-”Oh, wow, you both can dance too, wait, can you?”

-”Jeez, of course I do, why do you think I’m there?”

-”Mmh, yeah, sorry.”

-”Sorry?  You are really weird.  Why aren’t you like anybody else? Just take it easy, I’m joking.

-”I know you were joking.”  Hyukjae changes the subject.

-”The person in the car, were you mad at her?”

-”Which car?”

-”The one that was back there in the other street.”

-”Ah, the girl, tsk she’s nuts.”

-”So you know her.”

-”Not really, I found her in my way back to my classroom, she asked me if I could take her to her classroom ‘cause she’s new, I did and then she asked me if I was a lesbian.  Maybe she felt offended by me helping her or something, she’s crazy.”

-”I thought you didn’t know how to talk in complete sentences haha.”

-”Agh, and there’s so much to it, but the story is very long, and no, I don’t use complete sentences,” *giggles*  They finally arrive to their destination.

-”Here.”

-”Starbucks?! It’s really...really good.”

-”I know, I love my uncles’ coffee, but this is the best.”

Both enter the shop.  It’s so expensive, goodness, I don’t even have enough money to get a small one, what a dumb I am!

-”You mind if I order for you?  I’ll pay for it don’t worry.”

-”Yeah, sure, thank you.”

They have their coffees and go to the tables outside of the shop.  The rest of the afternoon they continue talking.  Everytime Hyukjae asks something about the day they first met at the shop,  Jieun avoided it saying something funny or irrelevant to make him laugh.  Surprisingly, they spend two hours chatting non-stop about random things.  In the end, Hyukjae paid for a piece of cake for Jieun to take home.  They both walk to Hyukjae’s uncles’ shop where there is a park two block from there.  They sit on the swings and talk for a little more until Jieun’s father comes to pick her up.

-”Well, I’m leaving.  Thank you for inviting me.”

-”Yeah sure no problem.”

-”And also thank you for the cake, I’ll pay you one day!”  

-”Ok, I’ll be waiting, it was also fun meeting you.  I think I will introduce you to my other friends, I think that you’ll fit with us very well.”

-”Well, thank you again.  See you tomorrow!”  Jieun starts to rush to the car.

-”Oh, by the way, what classroom are you in?”  Hyukjae shouts.

-”123-A!”

-”Okay, bye, see ya!”

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: So late!! I said I was going to update more often but then ceremonies, educational shops and some party made the updates lag!! Hehe, still, no excuse, but this chapter is way longer than the other ones so I hope they didn't bother you much...BIG THANK YOU TO MY 6 SUBSCRIBERS, one of them unsubscribed but a new one joined so I'm still happy =) Thank you for reading my story once again, and let me tell that from next chapter on the real action will begin!! Muahahahaha!!

just so you know ;) kekeke