The Sparkle of Life

Second Choices

JiEun cannot believe who’s just in front of her eyes right now.  She already saw him the day before, but now, he is so close to her.  He is smiling at her with a warm and gummy smile.  Like if he did care.  Wait, does he still remember her?

-”You,” JiEun managed to say in a soft and weak voice.

-”Hello, nice to meet you, I’m Lee HyukJae,” HyukJae extends his hand, JiEun looks at it and shakes it, “Oh my, you don’t remember me?”

-”No, no, I do.  Sorry, I’m Lee JiEun.”

-”Wow, finally after all this time, I finally know who you are.  You know, many people live their life without knowing that the most interesting person they’ve met, actually studies in the same school, I know really well by experience,” HyukJae flashes aa sweet smile.

-”Interesting?Me?”

-”Yes, I mean if you are the one I think you are.  The girl at the coffee shop, like a year ago?”

JiEun remembers the embarrassing moment. “Oh, yeah, that was me,” she starts to blush, “Yes, it’s you.”  JiEun smiles sadly.

-”What’s going on?”

-“Nothing, it’s just that I almost forget about that moment.”

-”Yeah, me too.  But I can’t because, in the end I had to pay for that coffee I gave you for free, my uncles didn’t understand it.”

-”You paid for it?  What a shame!”

-”No, no problem, it wasn’t that much, I didn’t work there for too long.”

-”Wait, your uncles?”

-”Yup, they own the shop.”

-”Seriously?  I love that place because...” Jieun’s face suddenly darkens and stops,  Hyukjae looks at her puzzled.

-”Well, something good...I mean, something special happened there.” Hyukjae remains quiet expecting more information.  He senses something more sentimental because she lowers her head, he clears his throat and continues.

-”Well, ahm...how come I didn’t know you studied here?”

-”Probably because I rarely get out of my classroom.”

-”You don’t have friends?” HyukJae says it in a somewhat cruel but not on purpose way.  JiEun feels a little uncomfortable.

-“No, not so many...not close.” Hyukjae realizes his mistake, he actually expected a different answer.  He shifts from a relaxed position to a more serious one, resting his elbows on his knees and rubbing his hands.

-Ah *sighs* we are trying very hard, aren’t we?  I think we are missing something. Do you like cats?”

-”Yes, why?”

-”It’s just to get rid of the awkwardness, why do you like them, have you had one before?” Hyukjae makes Jieun laugh and tries to bite her apple.

-Woh, wait, first stop laughing, I don’t want accidents, I want answers.” He stops her hand from putting the apple in .  Jieun laughs even harder.

-Wha-what’s going on, the first time we met you could barely speak and now the only thing you’re doing is laughing?” Jieun can’t just help it, Hyukjae’s expressions are so unique and hilarious.  After a moment, Hyukjae starts to giggle.  Her laugh is just as weird as her.  They both stop after a while.

-”Ah, you’re funny.  Now, here the answers you want; I like cats because I think they are really cute and clean, and no, I have never had a cat , my dad doesn’t like them.  Lastly, I laugh now because you seriously funny.  I don’t talk to people very much but I’m glad that the first person I talk to this year is a funny one.” Jieun finally bites her apple.

-”Don’t you see it?” Hyukjae snaps.

-”What?”

-”That apple is a killer!” Jieun laughs again.

-”Stop it, seriously, pff, what killer?”

-”I know really stupid, but anyways.  Hey, do you want to go with me to a nearby restaurant after school?”

It’s the first time since a long time ago she has been invited by someone to do something.

-”Yeah, sure!”

-”Great, so, we’ll meet in the entrance by the monument, you know where it is, right?  The exit by the teachers’ parking lot.”

-”Yes, I know.”

-”We’ll see there there then at...3:40?”

-”Yes, I’ll be there!”

-”It’s a deal, I’ll leave now, my friends must be looking for me, see you later Jieun-ah!” Hyukjae waves as he makes his way.

Jieun is just happy now, complete joy, she could finally make a friend and he’s inviting her to hang out.  She’s is not hungry anymore, she puts her lunch back again in her lunchbox and starts to head back to her classroom, only that she takes another, more quiet route.  She’s almost jumping, her joy almost makes her heart explode.  However, even 10 centimeters off the ground, she notices the other girls who is sitting all by herself in the near chairs.  

She feels a little bad to see that person when she is so happy.  She approaches her.

-”It’s seems you own this place.  May I sit here?”

-”Yes, sure.  You don’t have to ask for permission, though,” the girl said.

-”My name is Jieun, what’s your name?”

-”Jiyeon.”

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N: so sorry for updating so late, i've been having some family issues and i haven't had the mood to write, especially about friends, which is what this chapter is about, i'll try to update sooner, perhaps every two days, if i can, because i have some other stories in mind and already planned but this one is a bit complicated i'll wait until the , please comment and thank you my loyal 5 subscribers!!  Also, I just learnt, whoever is giving me karma points, THANK YOU!!