two

Pack 88

Jongin woke up finding himself below a white ceiling - clean, and different from the streets. He rubbed his palm against his face, his brain throbbing and his vision unclear. He got up and looked around. The room he was in was entirely white - clean and uncoloured. The bed under him was brown and grey. On one wall was a window, wide and tinted. The view outside suggested he was in a tall building. The other walls had a few doors - one for a wardrobe, and the other two unknown. He frowned and slowly stood up, his feet stepping on the wooden floorboards. Cautiously, he opened the door near the wardrobe. It was to a bathroom - its tiles yellow and with floral patterns. He caught sight of himself in a mirror and saw that he was still fully clothed. He checked for his knife - still in place. Wow, he really needed a shower – his smelled like iron and dirt. He closed the door and went for the other one.

 

This door led to a dining room, consisting of a glass top table with white plastic chairs. A cloth was in the middle of the table, below a glass vase where a single stem flower sat. The flower looked synthetic. A jug of orange juice and two empty glasses sat by it. The room widened further for a black leather sofa for three and a television set (it was switched on but muted), which sat on a long surface with drawers that hid a mess of DVD cases. The two were separated by a dark wooden coffee table. Very sophisticated, Jongin thought. Unlike his own apartment, which he rarely spends a lot of time in anymore. It was big, but unkempt. This apartment was clearly the opposite. Jongin walked around, checking out if the sofa was vacant of the television viewer. It was.

 

A figure appeared from an entrance by one side of the dining room just as Jongin turned around. Jongin stepped back in shock, and the figure did so as well. Jongin recognized the slim body and long hair, and the smiling eyes. She was holding two plates of sausages and scrambled egg in her hands. She smiled at Jongin and greeted him, "Morning!"

 

"Are you hungry?" the girl asked as she placed the plates on the dining table. She turned and nodded towards the table, as if inviting Jongin over. "Let's have breakfast and I'll explain everything. Don't look like such a lost puppy. You don't look as cool as you did last night."

 

Jongin scratched his head and tried not to blush. Last night, he was Kai. But right now he's back to the easily flustered and shy Jongin. He walked over to the dining table and seated himself. The girl poured a glass of orange juice for him, then for herself. Then she sits down.

 

"Go on. Help yourself."

 

"How did I get here?" Jongin asked, not bothering with the food.

 

"Eat first, then questions," the girl said sternly. Jongin's mouth stretched at its ends. He took a fork to cut the sausage and popped it into his mouth. He then turned back to the girl, waiting for an answer.

 

"I'll explain everything, just eat," the girl said. So Jongin looked back at the food and started chewing. The sausage was cooked well and filled his empty stomach, so he tried the egg next. So buttery, and so good. Jongin was not sure if he felt this way because he was hungry or because the food really is too good. The girl smiled with satisfaction. She poked at the yellow mess on her plate while she explained. "I was walking back home when I saw you on the side of a road, near an alleyway, passed out. I thought you were one of those hobo's but when I got closer I immediately recognized you, so I got a taxi and asked for someone to help me get you in. You reeked, but I couldn't leave you lying around like that. Plus, you saved me last night."

 

"I'm not a hero," Jongin sputtered, his mouth full of egg. "I just helped."

 

"Well, help me. Whatever," the girl shuddered. She decided to take a bite of her eggs. The girl was not a big eater for someone who put in effort to feed a stranger, Jongin thought. There were a few moments of silence before the girl broke it. "I'm Krystal, by the way. With a 'K'."

 

"Jongin," the boy introduced himself. "Nice to meet you."

 

"I've seen you before, at the bar," Krystal mentioned. Jongin almost chocked but he took a gulp of his orange juice. "But not recently. I wonder why?"

 

"I've been... busy."

 

"You always dress like that?"

 

"Only on important occasions."

 

"It's cool and all, but really you have to drop the leather slightly."

 

"I like the leather," Jongin exclaimed innocently, looking up. Krystal chuckled. "What?"

 

"You're cute."

 

Jongin blushed. He did not say anything since. He emptied his plate and stood up to bring the dishes to the kitchen. He did not realize how hungry he was until he picked up the empty glass that used to be filled with orange liquid. While dropping the plate into the dishwasher, his stomach started churning.

 

"Do you mind if I used your bathroom?" he asked Krystal shyly. She only smiled and nodded. He rushed to the door and went in.

 

"Maybe you should take a shower while you're at it," Krystal called. So Jongin did. He cleaned himself and his blade - properly this time - and clothed himself back in the dirty clothes. He looked at his hair and was unsure what he was supposed to do with it. Maybe rummaged and unkempt was in style, so he just ruffled slightly with wet hands. He then walked to the living room, ready to leave. Three out of eleven. Eight more to go.

 

In the living room, Krystal was watching the television, the volume slightly higher now. Jongin did not approach her, but told her from behind that he had to go now.

 

"Already?" Krystal asked, her head turned. "I was about to buy you some new 'important occasion' clothes."

 

"That's fine," Jongin smirked. Krystal's heart melted at the boy's charming smile. Before they could say anything else, the bell rung. Krystal stood up to get it, and opened the door. It was a postman.

 

"Wow, they work early these days," Krystal exclaimed as she took the package that the other was offering. "It's only like what, nine?"

 

"Please sign here, miss," the small body told as he handed her a board with a pen, his face shadowed by a cap. The voice sounded familiar to Jongin, so he watched the body carefully. Krystal signed the board and gave it back, and the postman nodded. She read the address out loud, "The Wolf Co., I wonder what's that?"

 

Jongin's eyes widen at the name, and glanced at the postman through the crack of the closing door. Byun Baekhyun. He went for the door and grabbed the knife by his ankle. Baekhyun was running along the hallway, so he chased the small body, his long legs being an advantage. His eyes turned red, growling at the other as he got closer. He jumped on the smaller body and stabbed his back, right by the heart. The smaller whimpered before his body morphed, dark brown fur growing on his skin, his breathing ceasing.

 

Jongin turned back to Krystal's apartment, seeing the shocked girl holding onto the package as if it was her life. He ran back and grabbed it from her grasps, ripping open the package with his knife. Inside was a small black metal piece, a red blinking LED light on one side. A tracker. Jongin had seen it before. It was connected to a sniper, which Jongin was sure someone was holding in the opposite building right now, aiming through an electrical screen. A blinking dot would be on the screen when it traces the tracker. He took the metal piece and stuck it onto the wall right outside of Krystal's window.

 

"Jongin, what's going on-"

 

"Stand back," Jongin told the girl, pushing her away towards a wall. Soon, the wall blasted. Jongin covered the girl with his skinny body, feeling small stones poking his back. Then he hurriedly went back to the window, people on the streets below chattering and pointing at him. He scanned the building in front of them and saw a window closing shut. Jongin was about to run down to catch the person, but Krystal held his hand.

 

"Jongin, can you please explain?" she pleaded. Jongin did not turn. "Who are you, really? And where are you going now?"

 

"I'm Kai from Pack 3 of The Wolf Cooperation - the assassination department. And I am on a mission to kill Pack 88."

 

"But wasn't he your friend?" Krystal asked. Jongin flinched slightly, turning his head towards the girl. "I recognized him, but I didn't say anything. He was usually around when you were at the bar, I know. Why...?"

 

"Things change," Jongin said calmly, moving his sight to the floor below them. "I'm sorry."

 

He stepped out of the apartment and went to the fire exit. He hunched down so that his hands touched the dirty floor, then his ribcage widened and his hip bone moved lower down his body as black fur started growing on his skin. His ears moved higher on his head and shaped into a triangle, his nose moved higher and his jaw grew longer, the teeth inside his mouth growing bigger and sharper. His hands and feet morphed into paws and his elbows and knees turned back. A short tail appeared at the end of his back and his pupils were red. He ran down the steps swiftly. They know he is chasing after them. He must be quick before they make another move. He thought of going to their usual hangout area. They could not have moved far yet. And in under a minute, he reached the ground floor and morphed back into a human, running out of the exit.