one

Pack 88

"Your next target is Pack 88."

 

The familiar name perked Jongin's ears. He looked up, eyes slightly wide. He had just gotten back from the two day rest the company gives him after every mission, and now he is back for another. He was in his combat skin - leather Jeans, black and loose against his skinny legs, a grey tank top and a black leather half-jacket over it, his hands sweating inside his black gloves. A knife was in place near his ankle, concealed by two strips of leather that kept the black cover in place. Jongin dug his nails into his palm.

 

"Pack 88?"

 

"Do you quiver, boy?" the man behind a long table in front of Jongin asked, his eyebrows rose. The man wore a black suit with a white shirt underneath it, a tie with a similar colour neatly in place. He was scribbling something on a piece of a paper, but his sight had diverted to Jongin. His greying chestnut hair was combed neatly to the side, his face starting to wrinkle with age and stress. "You were trained to never quiver in front of authorities. Is it because you used to be one of them?"

 

"I-"

 

"You deserve better, Kai. Now you're in Pack 3, assassination - top of the company." The man put his pen down and clasped both hands together under his chin, resting his elbows on the table. "You do more difficult tasks - ones you're more than capable of - and you make better money. Those boys barely take anymore missions. They are useless to our company. Even the top packs take small tasks when at leisure. They're what we call ‘pests’."

 

"Please don't call my friends that."

 

"Friends?" The man laughed half-heartedly. Jongin kept his eyes on the floor, trying to not make it obvious that he was biting his lip from frustration. "Don't be ridiculous, boy. You are above them. Now please leave my office and get the job done."

 

The man waved the boy out. Jongin bowed with a "thank you" and walked out of the black doors behind him with heavy feet. He then stopped as he close the doors. He watched the logo of the company carved on the doors connect. It was a picture of a wolf’s face with sharp eyes inside a bold circle, the words "The Wolf Co." under it. It has been a few months since he had been promoted to Pack 3 and able to access the building personally. Before, in Pack 88 they always had to have an when hired for missions. They do not even go to the CEO - they just meet the personnel who handle the smaller tasks. Jongin enjoys the freedom to roam the building, but he also missed walking in groups. At least the wolf did not look so threatening with them around.

 

He had been on missions where he had to assassinate their own people before, but never a whole pack - and never such an unimportant one too. This mission was a pest control mission, and Jongin did not like the fact that he knew these pests.

 

Physically ready (but not mentally), Jongin hit the streets. It was already starting to get dark, and people walk alone and huddled up in their thick coats. The autumn wind was chilly, but Jongin's skin is thicker than the usual human. He walked casually to a club he knew where some members of the pack would usually hang out. No wasting time. It is probably best to get this over and done with.

 

Upon arriving, the bar attended immediately recognized Jongin and waved him over. Jongin's plump lips curved and his steps quickened to see the girl. It had been awhile, and he had to admit he missed the venue. He practically jumped into a seat, acting like a puppy in front of the old friend. She smiled sweetly, he straight bangs slightly over her eyes, the rest of long dark hair tied up at the top of her head.

 

"Jongin! Long time no see," she sang over the loud music, cocking her neck to the front slightly to make sure Jongin heard her.

 

"Same with you, Victoria. Pretty as always," Jongin complimented. Victoria reached for a clean glass from under the counter, wiping the dampness with a cloth.

 

"You, on the other hand, are fancier than usual," Victoria replied. "Going somewhere important?"

 

"I'm on an important mission," Jongin told, forgetting for awhile it involved people she knew. "The usual, please. You know my favourite."

 

Victoria walked over to the other side of the counter to pour his drink. "You haven't been around lately. Are you always on important missions? With the others?"

 

"Well..." Jongin could not lie to Victoria. She is Victoria, after all. She will find out sooner or later. "I actually got promoted four months ago. I've been doing important missions since. Alone."

 

Victoria placed a paper coaster in front of Jongin, then his drink on top. She then placed her elbows on the counter, resting her face in her palms. She pouted at the boy. "So that's why you haven't been around? You forgot about us because you're a big shot now, huh?"

 

Jongin grinned, swirling his glass. "It's not as fun as you'd expect."

 

"Of course not! It's not fun unless it's here. I work here, after all," she exclaimed. The two smiled at each other. Victoria ruffled Jongin's hair as she got up to serve the other customers. "Good to have you around. Next time, come by more often. Glad you haven't forgotten me."

 

"I'd never forget you, Vic." Jongin replied. The girl smiled gratefully at him, then walked away. Jongin took a sip of the alcohol and then started looking around. Back to business, he thought. He scanned the crowd dancing on the smooth floor, some faces new, some faces familiar. He then scanned through the people by the bar. Most of them were men, and he knew the pack usually hung around here. They would not be in a big group, but he was sure he would catch one or two at least. Jongin felt uncomfortable thinking of them like prey - like rats that he would try to catch in his trap, or chase after - but he had always been a person who listened to his head over his heart.

 

After not being able to spot the targeted faces by the bar, Jongin looked back over the dancing crowd. His attention was caught by a girl with long, straight hair, her fringe pushed back behind an ear as she danced along to the loud music. Her eyes smiled with her lips, and her nose was long and high. Jongin felt a sudden heaviness in his throat. He knew her. At least, he had seen her around. Once or twice the rest of the pack would tell Jongin to go talk to her but he had always chickened out. His eyes ran back to his drink at the thought.

 

Taking a few gulps of the icy cold drink this time, Jongin decided to continue looking for the pack. His eyes suddenly caught onto a few familiar faces by the walls of the dance floor. As if a computer scanner, his pupils ran through the faces, recognizing them and unfolding data about each one - Kim Minseok; Kim Jongdae; Zhang Yixing. He placed his glass on the counter and stood up to go after them, his heartbeat starting to quicken slightly. They used to be friends. Now they are prey. Rats to be put out.

 

His thoughts was disturbed by a yell - muffled under the loud music, but detectable. He turned to see the girl he had noticed before being crowded over a few over-sized men. One took her by the wrist, but she resisted. Another tried to sling his arms by her slim waist but she backed away, frowning. They persisted, but she kept shouting at them. No one went to help her, no matter how her eyes ran across the room, pleading for someone to come over. She caught Jongin's eyes, and a pang of guilt went across his face.

 

Jongin looked back at the three boys he had seen. They were heading towards the restroom. He looked back at the girl, then back at the restroom. He gulped, and for the first time for months, he follows his heart instead of his head.

 

"Excuse me, but does this lady owe you something?" Jongin said as he approaches the men. He took the hand that was holding the girl's wrist.

 

"Mind your own business, skinny boy," one said with a growling voice. They were not very tall, in fact Jongin towered over them, but they were big. Their faces were bright red - clearly drunk - and Jongin counted the heads. Three, four. Nothing he cannot handle. Revealing his knife was not an option though - not in public, it raises unnecessary fear - so it might take a bit more effort.

 

"I asked a reasonable question," Jongin replied. "Does she owe you something? She can pay off her debts right now, if she has any."

 

"She has to come with us," one grunted.

 

"Did you agree to come with them? Do you have business with them?" Jongin asked the girl calmly. This was not the shy Jongin from Pack 88. This is Kai from Pack 3 - he is a professional, and he handles these situations without emotion or hidden reasons.

 

"I don't know them," the girl replied, flustering slightly. "I have no business with them at all. This is the first time I met them."

 

"At least dance with us, come on," the one furthest from Jongin said, reaching for the girl's hand. She pushed his hand away. He got angry and raised a hand to hit her. The girl flinched, but Jongin caught his wrist before it got any closer to the girl. Jongin twisted the arm and shoved a fist into the man's protruding stomach. The man howled and dropped on the dirty floor when Jongin let him go. Another came lunging towards Jongin, throwing his fist in the air but Jongin was quick to dodge and kick the man's knee. He then landed a punch on the man’s face. When he fell on his knees, Jongin turned towards the other two, his stance strong.

 

"This is gonna be the last time I ask you. Do you have business with her or not?" he asked the other two with a sharp eye and stern voice.

 

"You think you're tough, skinny boy, but you'll see," one said as he walked away with the other, mumbling. "You'll see... mhmm..."

 

Jongin let out a sigh of relief. He turned to the girl with warm eyes. "Are you okay?"

 

"Yea," she replied, a smile forming on her face. "Thank you."

 

"No problem," Jongin smiled. Suddenly, his thoughts went back to his mission. His ankles turned and he waved slightly at the girl before telling her, "I have to go now. See you around."

 

He ran towards the restroom, pushing against the crowd. Once he opened the door, he scanned the people inside. The three boys were still there; along with another two men sharing a roll of something Jongin was not familiar with the smell of. He tried to not attract any attention when he bent down and slipped his knife out of its cover. The knife was smooth on the blunt side, the other side jagged in the middle, leaving an inch of smooth, sharp blade on both ends. He kept the silver blade hidden behind his thigh, until he approached the two men. Their scleras were red when they looked up at the boy. Jongin revealed his knife and placed it against one of the men's throat. "Leave. Now."

 

The two dropped their rolls and scattered their stuff behind them as they rushed out of the door. It caught the other three's attention, widening their eyes when they recognize the tall, slim body and handsome face. "Kai! What are you doing here?"

 

Jongin pushed his knife into the stomach of the questioner - Kim Minseok, also known as Xiu Min by The Wolf. His small eyes looked at Jongin's red pupils, innocent and curious. Jongin turned the knife slightly, then pulled it back and let the body drop at his feet. Minseok coughed up blood, leaving red stains on Jongin’s glinting leather pants. Soon, his pupils diluted and the soulless body changed its shape – sharp ears, brown fur growing on the skin and paws instead of hands and feet. The dry nose of a wolf nudged Jongin’s knees slightly before it fell on the side of its face - its eyelids shutting close as Jongin turned to the other two.

 

"I'm here to take out the pests."

 

Jongin turned to Jongdae – his next target. The other growled, revealing sharp teeth under his lips, his eyes widening with anger. He threw a kick at Jongin's body. Jongin held his torso due to the pain, but managed to dodge when Jongdae lunged at him. He caught Jongdae’s wrist with both hands and twisted it, tossing Jongdae on the floor. Jongin sat on him to stab his chest, his own sharp teeth revealing itself as a growl escape with mouth but Yixing caught him by the neck with his arms and held him back. Jongin was stronger though, and managed to slit Jongdae's throat. Kim Jongdae, also known as Chen. He's not dead, but passed out. With time, he'll die of blood loss, Jongin thought as he stood up. Next, the toughest among the three.

 

Jongin bit Yixing’s forearm, his sharp teeth piercing through the thick skin. Yixing growled and backed away, keeping a distance from Jongin. His pupils too had turned red, revealing his true nature. He then threw several punches and kicks at Jongin but the other managed to block most of them with his forearm. Jongin then aimed for Yixing's stomach with a punch. Yixing backed up slightly, and Jongin took the chance to push him against a wall. He held the knife by the other's throat. "Stop struggling, it'll hurt less."

 

"Why?" Yixing asked, sweat trickling down his forehead as he pulled his neck, trying to not get cut. His pupils were not red anymore - it was its human brown, the way it was whenever they were not at combat. Jongin hesitated for awhile, but did not allow anything to distract him. He decided to push the knife into the body before he asks anymore questions. Zhang Yixing, also known as Lay. He pulled out his blade and Yixing’s eyelids close, his body morphing into a grey wolf as it falls onto the dirty floor. Only then did he answer, "I... I don't know..."

 

Jongin looked around. Jongdae had already changed into a chestnut coloured wolf, its fur damp in his own pool of blood.  It must be awkward for the next person who runs in here – three dead wolves in a public restroom is not a daily happening. Jongin washed his knife and his hands messily, and slipped the blade back into its cover. He climbed one of the toilet seats to go through a window that led him to a dark alleyway behind the main street. His legs were weak as he tries to walk away from the scene. Finally, he drops on the ground. The night sky was dark, and he could not even see the moon. Only a blinding street light that brought tears to his eyes lighted the walls beside him. But Jongin was not sure if the tears came because of the light or because of what he had just done. He had followed his head instead of his heart. His vision was blurred by the clear liquid, and soon, he out.