three

Pack 88

music

 

“Long time no see,” a deep raspy voice said. Jongin stood on a strong stance by the entrance of the abandoned building. The side of his forehead was wet with drops of sweat, his heart beating strongly against his chest. The walls of the building that used to be white hid behind black dirt and mould. Small plants crept from the cracked concrete below and alongside a few walls were faded graffiti. The living room was wide, and only a shattered wall divided it from the kitchen (the fridge was gone and the drawers under the stove were empty). The ceiling had a huge gap in one corner, where light shone through. Buckets used to stand on the floor; on standby for rainy days. They had spotted holes that the roof bore. But those were gone too. As expected, most of the furniture was gone. Only the plastic dining table and a surface where the television set used to sit was left (Jongin remembers a sofa and a few bean bags scattered near it). They were moving - for obvious reasons.

 

Jongin tried to look friendly – his knife was in its place by his ankle – but it was an obvious act that served no purpose. He scanned the room. On one side near the surface was a figure taller than him by inches, his eyes round. The mischief Jongin remembers seeing in them was gone. Park Chanyeol had lost something inside of him, clearly. His black hair was trimmed short and in his hands was a television screen – a small metal box, an ‘antique’. Behind Chanyeol near the dining table was a taller being; dark circles under his eyes, his lips thin and straight. Jongin assumed Huang Zi Tao was going to carry out the table, but had landed it on the floor. Near the shattered wall was a thin figure, his doe-like eyes watching Jongin carefully. It looked as if he had just come back from a run – his temples dotted with sweat, the sleeves of his jacket rolled up. Lu Han. Weaponry expert. Closest to Jongin was a smaller figure with fair skin and contrasting dark hair, his eyes surprised and innocent. Kim Junmyeon or more commonly known by The Wolf Co. as Suho.

 

Jongin remembered hanging out with the rest when they were not on a mission. He almost smiled remembering the days they kicked and slapped the television to make it work, but he bit back his lips. The whole building would echo with their chatter and occasional laughter. The area was abandoned – only a tar road and trees surrounding them – so it was the perfect hideout.

 

“The perfect hideout,” Jongin said once to a member. Do Kyungsoo, with his curious eyes and blank face, also known as master chef of the building. He was cooking ramyeon for the boys, stirring the mixture with a pair of chopsticks. Jongin was by the fridge when he said it, catching a glance at the silent boy then reaching for a can of soda. When he looked back up, waiting for a response from Kyungsoo, he caught himself staring at the silhouette of the boy. The window behind him shone sunlight through his hair, and the pale skin glowed a slight pink by the edges. His lips were pursed – trying to not spoil the perfect round yolk of an egg he had just cracked – and his fringe fell above his eyes. Jongin imagined the scene being captured and framed.

 

Kyungsoo looked up at the taller. “Hmm?”

 

“Umm,” Jongin blinked. He nodded at the pot. “Smells good.”

 

Kyungsoo grinned. “It’s just ramyeon. You have to learn how to cook. I can’t feed you until the day you die, ya know.”

 

“Why not,” Jongin asked, getting a pair of chopsticks from a tray that sat on the surface separating the fridge and the stove. He pushed Kyungsoo aside, gripping the noodles with the narrow side of the metal sticks. He slurped a mouthful loudly. Kyungsoo winced, pushing Jongin away to continue his stirring.

 

“You’re my slave until the day I die,” Jongin announced, mouth still chewing the hot ramyeon. “God, this is so spicy.”

 

“What if I die first?” Kyungsoo asked, raising an eyebrow. He switched off the stove and looked up. Jongin swallowed, and then blew a cold wind through his lips. He looked back at Kyungsoo. The noodles burnt at his chest.

 

“I won’t let that happen.”

 

How ironic, Jongin had thought. He was now looking for the boy he had sworn to protect, his aim to kill him. Why did he do that? It is not like he cannot take care of himself. Kyungsoo was more than capable. Now he has to break his promise. It is not for the sake of Kyungsoo, but for the sake of his job. This job feeds him now, not Kyungsoo. He stared at the four others coldly. They had discussed about this before – this Jongin might seem threatening, but deep inside the old Jongin was still there. If they could trigger that Jongin, they would pass by him.

 

“You guys did a lot with the deco,” Jongin observed, walking slowly closer. Chanyeol’s eyebrows furrowed. Jongin caught his eye. “The less the better, right?”

 

“Things change,” Chanyeol said monotonously. Jongin smirked, tracing the edge of his nails with his thumb. He could feel the four observing him, looking for a weak point. They know him too well.

 

“You’ve changed too, Jongin,” Lu Han mentioned, keeping his eyes on the old friend. “Minseok, Jongdae, Yixing and Baekhyun changed as well. They’re dead.”

 

“Surprising,” Jongin said sarcastically. “You ever thought of joining them?”

 

“You don’t have to do this,” Suho consoled, stepping cautiously towards Jongin. “You have a choice.”

 

“I don’t have a choice.”

 

“Yes you do,” Suho told. “Don’t kill us. We’ll help you.”

 

“I won’t,” Chanyeol stated.

 

“Bai chi,” Zi Tao whispered to himself.

 

“Chanyeol please,” Suho looked at him with begging eyes. Ever since the first three got killed, the pack had been disorganized. The peace between them had been disrupted – fights became bigger, misunderstandings occurred, and they refused to compromise. When he discussed with Kris, a tall and handsome man who was a year older than him, to move out, they finally cooperated. Where did his authority as pack leader go? He did not even agree with the sniper idea – the weapon was stolen, for one. And he did not want to kill Jongin. In the end, another member was sacrificed.

 

“He killed Baekhyun!” Chanyeol accused, his fingers itching on the heavy piece of metal in his palms. “You killed four of us!

 

Chanyeol raised the television screen above his head and threw it at Jongin. The boy ducked, letting the television pass just above his head, a breeze following the metal box as it breaks into pieces on the concrete behind Jongin. He quickly slipped his knife out of its pocket. Chanyeol stride his long legs towards him. Suho grasped his forearm, but the taller shrugged him off. Jongin stood up, his knife by his side as a defence. Chanyeol took no care for it and pushed Jongin to a wall, his hand gripping on the wrist which held the sharp weapon.

 

“You thinking I’m ing scared?” he spitted on Jongin’s face. “You hide behind your knife thinking you’re some big shot but you’re NOTHING!”

 

Chanyeol twisted the wrist, causing the knife to fall out of Jongin’s hand. Jongin shouted of pain, pushing away from Chanyeol’s grasp with force. He clenched his teeth and punched Chanyeol’s face – once, twice. The third time, Chanyeol fell on his side. Zi Tao paced towards them, his martial arts stance ready – two hands at the same line as his sight, as trained. His pupils glowed a bright red as he watched Jongin, trying to catch any hints for his next move. Jongin stepped on Chanyeol’s side on his way to Zi Tao, making the taller howl of pain.

 

“Tao,” he nodded. “Nice seeing you again.”

 

“It would have been nice if we were not in this consequence,” Zi Tao told, his pronunciation awkward from the foreign language. Jongin smirked at the statement. He tried to push away that small guilt pinching on the inside. He first took Zi Tao’s left wrist, and then punched his face with his free hand. He kicked Zi Tao’s torso, making him fall back slightly. Lu Han ran by, trying to get Jongin’s knife from the floor but Jongin managed to take him by the shoulder and knee his gut. Zi Tao regained his balance and threw a kick at the back of Jongin’s head. Jongin turned around. He clenched his teeth, now a line of pointed white bones, his pupils turning a glint of red as he growled. He jumped on the taller, grasping on his neck. Zi Tao fell on his back, trying to push Jongin away by the shoulders. He manages to turn Jongin to his side. They grappled at each other, trying to win over the other’s strength. Lu Han approaches the two with Jongin’s knife, his hands shaking, his temples wet and his eyebrows curved up from fear. Jongin saw this, and held on to his strength just for the right moment.

 

Lu Han bit his bottom lip and raised the knife above his head, aiming at Jongin’s neck. Jongin lets go of his grasp on Zi Tao and as he falls on his back, the other raising above him, Lu Han pierces the knife through Zi Tao’s neck.

 

The blood splattered across Jongin’s face. Zi Tao’s face froze; his lips parting but unable to make a word - only small gasps for air. Lu Han pulled back the knife, trying to grasp on what he had just done. Zi Tao fell on his side, next to Jongin as his bone structure begins to change. Jongin watched Lu Han staring at his own shivering hand stained with red, letting go of the bloody knife. The knife made a clattering sound as it fell on the ground. Jongin reached for it calmly, wiping the blood off his face. Chanyeol had stood up, his eyes only on Jongin. He pushed away Lu Han, and the weaker fell on his seat. Suho approached him, asking if he was okay. When Lu Han kept silent, staring at the golden-coloured wolf behind Jongin and Chanyeol’s legs, he looked up at the other two.

 

“Stop!”

 

“Why are you doing this?” Chanyeol asked, ignoring Suho.

 

“Because it’s my job.”

 

“Wrong answer,” Chanyeol told, coming towards Jongin. He grasped the collar of Jongin’s tank top and punched him. Jongin tightened his hold on his knife and slashed the hand by his chest. Chanyeol released his grip, using his other hand to stop the blood from gushing. He dodged Jongin’s punches by ducking, but fell on his back when Jongin kneed his chin. Jongin fell on his knees and hovered over Chanyeol. Chanyeol breathed loudly, the blood on his hands flowing out uncontrollably.

 

“You won’t last long,” Jongin told. “You may be strong, but you are so stupid. So tell me, would you rather die like this, or would you rather I kill you? It’ll be a lot faster.”

 

“Why did you kill Baekhyun?” Chanyeol’s eyes started to tear. He choked on his breath as it mixed with fluids running up his throat. “He was your friend… We were all friends.”

 

Jongin felt his body heat up, his face flushing. “Didn’t you try to kill me too?”

 

“But Yixing, Minseok… Jongdae…” Chanyeol squeezed his eyelids together as tears flowed down the side of his face. Jongin’s frozen face melted, revealing the old Jongin. He thought about the time when they fought for each other – now they’re fighting with each other, and some of them are dead. But that Jongin only stayed for a few brief seconds before Kai took over and raised the knife above his head. Suho, who had come over kicked his hand, knocking the knife out of its grasp. Jongin turned around furiously.

 

“I’m ing sick of this!” he shouted, his line of sharp teeth revealing itself as the rest of his body slouched, black fur growing on his skin. He growled loudly as his paws reached Chanyeol’s face, scratching it with its sharp nails – once, twice. Bright red lines formed on his face, his breathing ceasing. He could not open one eyelid – the nail had blinded it – and finally he lets go.

 

The black wolf watched dark fur grow on Chanyeol's skin before he turned around, clenching his teeth as his growls escaped through the holes, sounding like a tractor’s engine. Suho’s eyes glinted a bright red as he crouched, his back bone lengthening and his grey tail wiping the dirty floor. He was a handsome wolf – white and tinted grey at the ends of his ears and paws. He clenched his teeth too, silently circling the other.

 

I really didn’t want to fight you, Suho spoke through his head.

 

Too bad – it would’ve been easier for me, Jongin thought. You were never the alpha male anyway. It was Kris – you know that.

 

It doesn’t matter. Suho kept calm. I told you, we could’ve helped. You brought this onto yourself.

 

What choice were you talking about? You know I have nothing else but the company. They feed me. They give me a reason. They kept me alive.

 

Killing people keeps you alive? Suho questioned. I doubt that.

 

Isn’t that what we all do? Jongin replied. The difference is just who. And this time, it’s you.

 

Jongin jumped forwards, growling loudly. His front paw attacked the other’s face, pushing him over. Suho pushed Jongin back with his hind legs. He stood back on his paws, his eyes glowing red as he clenches his teeth, growling slightly. He jumped to Jongin’s face, grabbing it with his front paws and biting on his neck. Jongin wriggled, making the bite injuries minor. He opened his jaws and pierced his teeth through Suho’s leg. Suho howled, letting go of his grasp on the other. Red liquid dripped from the deep wounds, but Suho held on strong. Jongin the traces of blood from his teeth. He circled the white wolf.

 

I really am sorry, Jongin told. I don’t like the taste of blood anyway.

 

You make decisions on your own, Jongin, and made yourself the enemy. If we kept in contact, things would’ve been better.

 

Keeping in contact goes around two ways.

 

Jongin was on offense again. He scratched Suho’s injured leg, adding salt to the wound. Suho howled, jumping. He could not stand very well anymore. When Jongin bit on his neck, Suho fell easily on the dusty ground, dirtying his white fur.

 

I tried to fix things, Suho thought softly to himself, whimpering as his energy drained out. I tried so hard to make things they way they were…

 

Jongin fastened his grip on the neck, killing off all flows of blood and breath. Because wolves do not talk and communicate through gestures and thoughts, Jongin heard every thought of Suho’s; even the thoughts that a normal person would not have been able to speak through their ceasing breath. Jongin heard it all – and Suho’s last thought before his heart stopped beating was “Pack 88 was my family.”

 

Jongin released his grip on the carcass, letting it fall weakly on the ground. He backed away, his body turning back into human flesh and his eyes black and empty. He stood up and turned around, glancing at Lu Han. Lu Han looked up at him, sensing danger. He then stood up and jump out the nearest window, running into the forests. Jongin sighed. He was tired. He looked at his hands, seeing the stains of blood. One, two, three… That’s seven members of Pack 88 that he had killed. Seven old friends. Seven people he had once shared memories with, laughed and joked with and fought with. Now, they are gone – and it was all on his own hands.

 

 

---

Please do comment! I love comments - both good and bad ^^