Chapter 1

Sometimes it Hurts to Smile

     Meeting ChanYeol was such a blast to BaekHyun. He was funny but a little too loud for BaekHyun's taste, but he ignored it to the best of his ability.

 

"Hey, can we meet again tomorrow?"

"Again?"

"Yeah, again. Unless you don't want me-"

"No!"

 .......................................................

 

 

 

"I'd love to, ChanYeol."

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

     That was the last thing they had said to each other besides 'goodbye'

 

     Now, he was deliberating on what would be the best to wear on a date night out with a friend. His eyes scanned over many temting choices, others that he pondered why he had even shed money on them. He presumably spent hours showering, mixing and matching outfits, thinking of what to say, and settling whatever he needed to on his face. What he was wondering the whole time, though was why he was going to such extents for a man that was barely known.

 

     "Oh, Lord, I'm turning into my mother." BaekHyun muttered to no one in particular. He heaved a large sigh (Something he seems to be doing a lot lately)  and claimed a spot on the beat up mattress that was planted on the cemented floor.

     "Aigoo~ What is this man doing to me?" He said, again, to the dusty, empty room that held not another soul but himself. Glancing around the box, he concluded how gloomy it appeared. I mean, usually he could see the sadness it withheld but today, it seemed to bring him down even more. Then he began to ponder. What if ChanYeol asks to visit his home? What would he say?

     Would he just come out and admit to living in an orphanage? Or would he commit to a lie about his 'parents' not allowing him to bring anyone over?

 

....................

 

Yeah....

 

He'll just lie...


     Finally, the clock struck 7 PM and BaekHyun was all decked out in his attire. He cautiously looked himself up and down in the mirror, admiring the way his jeans clung to his legs. He rotated to the other side and placed his right hand on his lower back while looking in the mirror, eyes absorbing his .:) BaekHyun bit his bottom lip and immediately felt blush rise up his face.

 

     This is so stupid, he thought. Who the hell cares about what my looks like?!? 

 

"Hmph. But it does look nice in these jeans."

     He imagined a little, dark cloud with pouring rain above his brunette hair.

 

     Well, what am I gonna dress like? A hobo?!!?

 

     BaekHyun decided to go with the outfit he was sporting since he was already asking to be 20 minutes late by the time he gets there anyways. He left. He went by feet to the cafe (Since he didn't own a car) after telling Mrs.Gong where he was attending. Once, after releasing a big breath and mending his hair here and there, he strutted into the glass panels of the tiny cafe.

 

Then he saw ChanYeol

Sitting alone

Holding a cup of coffee

With a sad expression painted on his face

 

     BaekHyun had also come to realize that ChanYeol had payed for coffee for the both of them. Well, there goes BaekHyun's happy mood. His plans didn't necessarily go according to plan so he ended up arriving 30 minutes late. Seeing ChanYeol appear so dejected and noticing how he wasted his money buying a cup for BaekHyun as well broke his heart. He might  have just met the guy but it's not like he was completely heartless.

     He slowly crept over to the booth ChanYeol was moping at, probably looking like a weirdo.

 

     "Uh... Hi... ChanYeol."

 

     The brunette looked up from the restraunt's cup and lit up faster than a light bulb. The tremendous grin slapped on ChanYeol's face caused BaekHyun to grant back a sincere one. He was certainly glad to know he's not angry with him.

     "Sorry I'm late, Hyung" BaekHyun spoke shyly.

 

     "It's okay. I'm just glad you're here."

 

     BaekHyun grabbed the cup of coffee ChanYeol had bought for him and lifted it. "Is this for me?"

 

     "Yeah. It might be cold, though."

 

     "It's okay."

     BaekHyun took a seat in front of ChanYeol and gripped onto the handle of the small cup. He sipped the lukewarm coffee while staring at the other with a soft tint in his eyes.

 

"You look nice tonight, BaekHyun."

 

     BaekHyun almost spit his coffee out on ChanYeol's smirking face. The said boy spoke in a slow, deep voice that made BaekHyun blush like an 11-year old school girl. He wondered. How could this ONE person cause him to turn 180 degrees?!?

 

     "Uh... Are you okay, BaekHyun?"

 

     BaekHyun gasped in surprise, quickly jumping out of the deep trance he was drowned in. Taking sharp glances to his left and right, he attempted to bring his breath back to a somewhat normal pace, failing multiple times.

     "Uh, um, I'm fine! Perfectly good!"

 

     Maybe ChanYeol didn't buy it, though, because he let out a disappointed sigh and ignored BaekHyun, looking over to the wall on the right of him. BaekHyun protruded out his bottom lip and looked down with a light coat of tears covering his eyes. Does ChanYeol not like him anymore? Instead of feeding on this question, he heard a voice.

 

     "BaekHyun." ChanYeol's voice sounded almost murderous. "I feel like you are still uncomfortable with me. Have I not shown you enough affection?"

 

"Or have I shown you too much?"

 

     BaekHyun panicked, wondering if he was about to say the right thing. Where the hell did this come from?!?

 

"O-of course not, ChanYeol Hyung!"

 

     Soon, silence engulfed the two, coating them in a layer of awkwardness, leaving a tense atmosphere. BaekHyun slid down in his seat and twiddled with his thumbs while ChanYeol seemed to find the rest of the cafe suddenly interesting.

 

"I'm overreacting, aren't I?"

 

      Just a little, BaekHyun though to himself.

     "No, not at all."

 

     At the words, the sweet, big grin that Park was famous for gently planted itself on his face.

 

"Sorry, Bacon~"

 

     'Bacon' just smiled at his failed aegyo and muttered a broken 'it's okay'.


     For almost 45 minutes, words were spoken, bad jokes were told, and insults were tossed around like a football.

 

     "Why would you do tha-"

 

Ring~ Ring~

 

     BaekHyun halted his talking due to ChanYeol's loud phone.

 

     "Oh, sorry." He said. He quickly stood up and put the cell phone to his rather large ear and strolled away from the table. While he was gone, Byun took this time to contemplate whether or not he was secretly becoming a woman. Or maybe he's just curious.

     While he sat in yet another daze, ChanYeol seemed to be carrying a serious phone call on the other side of the room.

 

"No, I'm busy!"

"But, ChanYeol! C'mon!

"No!"

"Chan-"

"NO!"

 

     "Yeol" KyungSoo paused on the other line and looked over to his weary friends that were sitting on the couch like multiple men who decided to get stoned together.

     "Please, ChanYeol! Everyone here is sooo bored and we need the 'Party Animal' here to heat up the place!"

     Said man glanced over at BaekHyun (Who looks like he's trying to figure out the meaning of life) and let out a frustrated grunt.

 

     "But, I'm with someone, KyungSoo!" He said, hoping that the blasted question wouldn't erupt from his mouth again. These children become too needy sometimes.

     The conversation seemed to never end but luckily BaekHyun was too occupied in his own thoughts to notice that ChanYeol had been gone for over an hour. And even after all that arguing, KyungSoo and his mates appeared to have won which meant that ChanYeol would have to leave to hang out with people he didn't even want to see at the moment.

     He slowly tiptoed over to BaekHyun.

 

     "Uh, hey, BaekHyun?"

 

     "Huh? Whaat?! Y-yeah~? Um, uh I mean 'yes' ChanYeol."

 

     ChanYeol in a big portion of the air around him and gave a sorry look to BaekHyun.

 

"I have to leave now. Sorry."

 

     Disappointment became evident on the 17-year old's face but ChanYeol tried his hardest to ignore it. "Oh. That's okay."

     BaekHyun slowly slid out of the seat, leaving the cup in it's place. They both sorta stood there awkwardly, seemingly trying to give the floor and each other the same amount of attention. BaekHyun, who had had enough at this point, gave a small wave and began to walk away.

     "Bye, Cha-aahh!"

 

     "Wait!"

 

     BaekHyun flew backwards onto ChanYeol's chest when he was grabbed by the wrist by ChanYeol, who had pulled him back.

 

"Why don't you come and meet my friends, BaekHyun?"


     "ChanYeol, I don't know about this."

 

     BaekHyun could barely think straight looking at KyungSoo's "Bigger Than DaeGu" mansion. It was somewhat hard to take in having even one friend, let alone already meeting ChanYeol's buddies, as well. He was told ChanYeol had like 10 friends (Which is a lot according to BaekHyun) and that worries him.

 

     "Don't worry! They'll love you!" BaekHyun looked at ChanYeol with an uneasy face. He wasn't sure whether or not he was joking.

 

     Ding Dong The doorbell that barely made any noise sounded like a woman being murdered to BaekHyun. Soon, the door opened to reveal a raven-haired man that seemed glad to see ChanYeol.

     KyungSoo cheesed at the fact ChanYeol caved in and was standing at his door. "And the Chaninator is here, everybody!"

     Kai poked his head in. "And it looks like he brought his friend along, too"

      ChanYeol's lips curved up and he took a hold of BaekHyun's warm hand, pushing through KyungSoo and Kai. The younger could feel his face become heated flesh from all the looks everyone was giving him. He wasn't used to attention.

     ChanYeol made the boys form a messy line-up which Chen called, "a piece of crap". Kris slapped him on the back of the head.

 

 

     Person after person. 10 different definitions of 10 different men. Some that were sweet and gentle, others that were pranksters and care-free. One did catch BaekHyun's eye, though.

     "And this is Tao. He doesn't talk much." BaekHyun looked at ChanYeol as if saying 'go on', but ChanYeol just shook his head and mumbled a soft 'that's it' before moving on to the next person.

     BaekHyun would be lying if he said his eyes weren't drawn to Tao most of the time. And every time BaekHyun finally got a glance out, Tao's cold glare was calling back to him.