Chapter 3

Sometimes it Hurts to Smile

Okay, well just so you know, all their ages are all over the place. I don't think that I've made anyone the same age that they are in real life.


     BaekHyun couldn't refrain himself from blushing throughout the whole journey. No one even spoke a word yet BaekHyun couldn't help his breathing reach a normal pace. His face was in pain due to all the smiling he's endured and of course, like everything else, Tao noticed.

     "BaekHyun. You seem very happy. Did something happen while you were getting dressed?"

 

     "Wha-Huh? Oh, uh.... Thank you?" BaekHyun awkwardly smiled at Tao. The raven haired boy furrowed his eyebrows and looked the younger up and down which made BaekHyun realize that he must have muttered something that prevented him from seeming as intelligent as he would prefer. As usual.

     "I'm sorry, sunbaenim. What did you say? I was too busy looking at your bod- I mean bookbag."

 

     "Huh?"

 

     "Your bookbag. It's ped."

 

     "Oh. You noticed that?"

 

    "Yeah. I swear, I think I have OCD."

 

     "Hmm. I think I'll leave it there then." Tao joked. BaekHyun laughed a bit too loud while the other only smirked, not necessarily being the type to laugh. He didn't know why, but BaekHyun was nearly sure it was his fault that the remainder of the walk was dead silent.

 

     Once they reached BaekHyun's school, the brunette bowed and spoke his thanks to Tao. Tao just slighty bowed back before quickly marching off, advising BaekHyun to have a good day.

 

     It felt nice to have a semi-friend like Tao. ChanYeol was sweet, but the other was the same age, which allowed much more benefits. But if ChanYeol could walk him to school someday, that would be great. Maybe he could ask him one day. No. He would be a burden. Like always.

     BaekHyun became caught up in the thoughts of Tao again, causing a small smile to spread across his face once more. Was it worth it? Tao definitely had a secretive atmosphere that made BaekHyun very skeptical. He had promised himself long ago to trust no one, as no one can be trusted. Tao's well-sculpted face didn't help, either. It just made it all the more difficult.

     But, Tao did seem good at heart. Didn't he?Maybe he just had a hard time expressing it. Maybe-

 

     "Yah! Nerd! You couldn't cross the street alone?" A voice abruptly yelled, snatching BaekHyun from all his nonsensical thoughts.

 

     "Huh?"

 

     "Did you need to have someone walk you to school?" The boy yelling at BaekHyun yanked his  arm back, forcing his body to face his. Although they had a tremendous height difference, the boy squatted low enough to where  his nose just slightly grazed over BaekHyun's.

     "A-aniya. He offered. He's my frie-ahh!" BaekHyun whined at the boy who was now twisting his arm back, making it bend in an inhumane way.

     "Friend?!? Ha! You expect me to believe that? Since when have you had friends? I've gone to school with you all year and never once have I seen you speak to anyone. Of course, who would talk to you?"

 

     BaekHyun felt the familiar salty tears thickly coat his eyes once more. "S-stop."

 

     "Stop, what?"

 

     "Stop saying those thing-ahh!" Before BaekHyun was able to complete his plead, the student bent his arm so far back that it snapped, causing him to scream.


"And ZiTao. Would you mind telling me why you're so late?"

 

     Tao remained silent, not daring to answer the teacher's habitual question. He hears it on the daily anyways, it's not like she's ever going to get a reply.

 

He had his reasons. It just so happens that today, it was for a normal reason, rather than the reason he's usually late. Not that he could admit to anyone.

 

     "Not speaking? Fine. You can make the time up in detention. Sit down."


ChanYeol's POV

     Eehhh? What was all this noise? Am I getting murdered? Oh my gosh, did I accidently set the house on fire while I was asleep? I know I have a tendency to do stupid things while I'm asleep, but if I had set the house on fire, I think I would know by now. Would I? Hmm. Last time I set the house on fire in my sleep, it took me a few hours to realize it. And even so, it was my mother that had to wake me up. OH MY PIKACHU, I SET THE HOUSE ON FIRE!

     I immediately opened my eyes and frantically glanced around the living area. Hmmm. No fire in here.

 

     "Oh. Have I woken you up? MianHamnida, hyung." A soft voice said. At the tone, I already identified who it was.

 

     "Aniya, it's okay, LuLu. What are you doing up so early anyways?"

 

     "School, of course."

 

      "Oh, jebal. You can skip it today."

 

     "But, Tao and BaekHyun sunbaenim left already."

 

     "That's okay. It doesn't matt- wait, what?"

 

     "Yeah. They left. Together."

 

     I don't know why, but as soon as the words left his mouth, I grew angry. No, jealous is a better word. A far better word.

     I decided to ignore the pain in my chest and focus more on Lu Han.

 

     "Well, Lu, just tell Kai and whoever else that I'll let you skip today. I want to have fun."

 

     "But, Chan-"

 

     "Lu Han. Go." I knew I was being harsh on the boy, but I was already upset at the fact that BaekHyun left without saying anything. Tao, of course, was Tao. He would have never listened to me.

     I rapidly blinked a couple hundered times, attempting to take the excruciating pain out of my eye sockets. I didn't even realize how long I was doing it until I felt someone's arms wrap around my body, and a light peck being pressed upon my cheek.

     "Thank you for giving us a day of of school, hyung!"

 

     "Yah, Kai, don't kiss me again or else I'll send you back to get dressed. Hmph. So what do you want to do today? Anything special?"

 

     "I dunno. Let's ask KyungSoo, since this is his house."

 

     "No, we don't have to ask. I can trash whatever I want in his mansion. I've been doing it for over 10 years." I stood up with much trouble and stumbled over to the counter by the kitchen.

 

Who the hell cares if BaekHyun and Tao aren't here. We'll have fun without them.