Prologue

Sometimes it Hurts to Smile

Note: This was set with the mindset of "History" so their hair colors and styles aren't like they are now.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

     BaekHyun sat in the dimly lit cafe a bit longer, admiring his artwork. It was raining insanely outside and he'd rather stay in a small, sweet smelling room than at the chilly orphanage down the street. At least it was warm and felt like a home here. A sigh fell from his chapped lips and dipped into the silent atmoshere, breaking it's peace. BaekHyun had just realized that although he's been in here for probably an hour and a half now, not a fragment of coffee had been poured into him yet.

 

    "Um, excuse me miss?"

 

    A pretty girl with thin, jet black hair turned around and flashed a small smile at BaekHyun. Probably Fake, He thought. BaekHyun smiled back, nonetheless.

 

     "Can I have a chocolate mocha, please?"

 

     His voice was soaked in politeness and innocence and he hated it. He absolutely loathed the fact that he had to be nice to attractive individuals purely because they were newcomers. The young girls's eyes formed half moons once again as she muttered a small 'sure sweetie' and disappeared into the kitchen.

    Not a second after that did BaekHyun release the wound on his face and replace it with a deep frown.

 

     He honestly thought it was useless trying to pretend to be a sweetheart with a face like that. She knew she could get anything she wants and do anything she pleases, right? Who was she in her right mind to attempt to fool BaekHyun like that? Quickly, he turned around, back to his artworks, trying to lighten his mood back up with the pen-drawn pieces. A smirk slowly crept onto his face, displaying his satisfaction with the dirtied napkins.

 

     "That's really good!"

 

     BaekHyun flinched and looked behind him where the source of the voice was coming from.

 

     "What?

     "I said 'that's really good'" The brown haired stranger decided to speak his words again, but this time a bit slower. BaekHyun frowned.

 

    This guy probably thinks I'm an idiot.

 

     "Uh, thanks?"

 

    The tall man just chuckled a bit and used his deep voice again. "Is that a question?"

 

     "I-I-It can... be?"

 

     And SMACK! BaekHyun just granted his own face with a mental high five. He had guessed that the pain of his own stupidity had made it's way onto his face because the mystery man sounded as if he were trying to supress a laugh as he asked "Are you nervous?"

 

     "No, I-

 

     "Sir?"

 

     This time, the duo brought their attention to the beauty that BaekHyun had asked to get him a mocha.

 

     "Here's your drink, sir."

 

    She held out a cup that had steam emitting from it's insides.

     "Thank You" BaekHyun said before he reached out to seize the cup of sweet liquid from the girl's hand. Right after that, she left.

 

     "Hey, um... Can I see one?" The giant asked timidly. It took a second and a couple furrowed eyebrows to register what he had meant. BaekHyun gave out a small 'ah' of realization and searched through the pile of napkins for a drawing that was simple to explain. "Here."

     BaekHyun watched intently as the stranger pulled the slip of paper out of his hands and into his own firm ones. He wondered if it was a bad sign when the man raised one of his eyebrows and bit his bottom lip.

 

     "Is something wrong?"

 

     BaekHyun couldn't help but ask. But instead of answering, the tall man just kept his eyes scanning the black and white sheet, studying it. While he was too busy drowning in the 6x6 inch piece of paper, BaekHyun was flipping the freak out. The fact that his very own drawing was in another's possession and not his made his breath as uneven as the Earth's axis. He bagan to twiddle with his fingers under the table out of anxiousness and hidden eagerness. The strangers voice bellowed out once more but this time, he sounded a little out of it.

 

     "Uh, no" He simply stated. He placed the napkin on the miniature table top. Taken aback, BaekHyun made a small sound of suprise mixed with sadness in the back of his throat. "No?"

     "No! I mean that ... Nothing's wrong with this, uh..."

                                                                               "BaekHyun."

    "Right! Anyways, BaekHyun, if anything, this is perfect!" He praised.,

 

     The man continued oogling the picture all the while BaekHyun was trying to hide his red cheeks with the ends of his sweater sleeves.

     "Perfect?" He asked. "Are you sure?" He truthfully wasn't familiar with the idea of allowing others to observe his 'masterpieces' let alone have someone say it was perfect! He could get used to this.

 

                                                                                    "BaekHyun!"

 

     " Whaa?!"

 

    "I said-wait- Were you listening?"

 

     "Uh, is that a trick question?"

 

     The guy just stared at BaekHyun a bit before breathing out an awkward laugh. And of course, BaekHyun noted this and began to apologize profusely. If he didn't know better, he would have probably thought that his stupidity was eating him up at the moment. Probably was.

    "HeHe. It's okay, BaekHyun. It's okay. I mean, we all have our retarded moments, right. I mean... mine's been going on for 20 years, now"

     Those words seemed to put BaekHyun at ease because his tensing lightened up a bit but still laid slightly within him. He let out a small laugh which caused the taller one to do the same. After the laughter had reached a maximum volume and they recieved a few nasty glares from costumers that were most likely trying to enjoy their evenings, they finally settled down. With a tremendous smile, the brunette extended his right arm out to shake BaekHyun's fragile hand.

 

                                                                                   "ChanYeol."