Chapter 2

"Overdoing" Life

Amb's Diary

And here I am, diary! I've reached Korea successfully after a long plane ride that made me want to throw up. But anyways.

I have a roommate here, because the cost of the individual houses and apartments here are unbelievably and ridiculously high. Like, seriously? So now I have a roommate, who's name is Sunyoung. But I nicknamed her because I LOVE making up nicknames as Luna. Like the moon? Except without the R because it's Korea here and it sounds weird with the R.

Moving on! So Luna is awesome, she sings well. Creepy well, in a good way. And I've decided to pursue my childhood dreams of becoming someone in the music industry! I'm planning to compose, but we'll see how that turns out to be.

So Luna's auditioning for SM! Where SHINee, SuJu, and SNSD is! OMIGOSH I WANT TO WORK THERE!!! *cough* *cough* Ignore me.

I'm going to follow her there to see if I can get a glimpse of someone famous. I'm getting giddy just imagining it, haha.

What else? I'm learning Korean. Partly from Luna, and partly from this tutor I know named Soojung. She's fluent in Korean AND Engish. Some people just gets all the talent, because she can sing well too. Not as good as Luna, but still pretty well.

And there's another student that will also learn from Soojung, even if she's older than both of us. Her name's Qian and she's Chinese. I sometimes try to use my poor but okay conversational Chinese from high school on her. She's nice enough to not really hate me for messing up everything. And boy is she flexible! It's so flexible it gives me the creeps, like Luna's voice, except worse. In a good way, I guess, but not really. Make sense? No, right? I thought not.

Anyways, I'm trying to convince Soojung and Qian (I have to call her unnie here, but this diary's in English. I'm not going to write unnie. That's just weird) to audition at SM too, because if they get famous, they can know other famous people and introduce me to them. That is my master plan.

And I got a new part-time job at this nearby mart place as a cashier. Ugh, it pays better than some jobs, but I do NOT like standing there forever and those beeps just annoys me. When I earn enough money, I'm going to try attend night classes for music, like composing and rhythm, whatever. Maybe I'll just be a background dancer or something. I am not sure I want to be a celebrity myself, though, because I heard it's stressful and you can't get sleep. I love my sleep, so...

The good thing about the job is that I have a new friend there too! She's the same age as Soojung, actually. Her name is Jinri, as in Truth. And she worked as a child actress a long time ago. And she still wants to be an actress! Isn't that cool? I think it is. I should introduce my tutor friends to my roommate and Jinri. We'd probably get along really well.

So now I think I have to go, since it's almost my shift again. So far, nothing has changed except for the friends and the location, because there's still a schedule I must follow every day, and one day it'll also become boring to me if nothing happens.

Bye.


"You can do it, Luna," I said as I tried to calm her down. "It's not your first time, right?"

"No," she hyperventilated. "It is my first. I'm not sure if I'll even pass the first round."

"But I told you a hundred and one times! Your voice is creepy good! If you don't pass, it's not your fault. It's theirs for not seeing the greatest talent ever in front of them." At my encouragement, she nodded and calmed down. Finally.

"Number 390-395, please come in," a voice called out.

I gently pushed her, saying, "You can do it. If you can't do it, nobody can. Have fun, don't stress it out, and go!"

She put a hand over her heart and walked into the room next to the one she was in. After 5 long minutes, she came back looking calmer than before.

"So?" I asked.

"So nothing. They'll contact me later," she replied.

"Oh."

"Nothing to worry about, Amby. Now let's go meet those friends of yours." The mention of the official meeting of my separate friends cheered me up considerably.

"Let's go, Luna! It's time to meet your future best friends!"


Amb's Diary

Luna got accepted! YAY! They contacted us after 5 days or something, which was spent by me waiting by the phone every spare moment I had. It's weird, because obviously I was more anticipating and more nervous and more excited than the actual participant and auditioned person, Luna.

And she got the call while I was away at work, which just defeated the purpose of being by the phone all that time. Ugh, SM.

Anyways, she's officially a trainee now. And she'll get famous one day probably, and I'll know someone famous, and then I'll get to meet all those celebs that I've been wanting to meet! Yes! My plan is successful until now! Heh.

Also, the friend-to-friend meeting was amazingly awesomely perfect. Seriously, I think we all were destined to be. Like those blood sisters or something? Or soulmates, whatever? I mean, Seoulmates, in this case. Sorry, it was just too tempting to ignore.

They made a Korean name for me, Eunyoung. Why? I have no idea. They suddenly decided to give me one, because Amber is American and therefore unfit to use.

Which makes no sense whatsoever.

But who am I to be able to stand up to my friends? I'm too weak. Boohoo.

What else... Oh! We decided to give Qian a name, too, because seriously? Qian is hard to say. It has not been decided yet, since we are all arguing over it still. I'll update you on it when we all agree to a name.

I'm inching my way into those night music classes now. My money's piling up, and so is my growing frustration at my inability to change. At least my friends are there to help me out, right?

Gotta go: Qian is calling for dinner, since we're having a group dinner thing. Bye.