eight

Forehead Kisses
 

 

eighth kiss.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol tosses and turns in his bed for the umpteenth time that night, and he finds his thoughts wandering off to Baekhyun again. He couldn't shake off the images of the toddler crying no matter how many times he tried.  

 

Baekhyun looking hurt and confused. Baekhyun's tears welling up in his eyes. Baekhyun's tears rolling down his chubby cheeks. 

 

In his mind, Chanyeol is fervently rehearsing his apology to the toddler. 

 

I'm sorry, Baekhyun. I'm sorry. I take back everything I said. I didn't mean any of it.

 

Channie-hyung doesn't blame Baekhyun for anything. 

 

Resolutely, Chanyeol decides that he will apologise to Baekhyun the first moment he sees him the next day. With a determined heart, Chanyeol pulls his covers up to his chin, closes his eyes and finally falls into sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It takes Auntie Byun almost an hour of cajoling for Baekhyun to finally cry himself to sleep. And even so, Baekhyun still lets out the occasional sob every now and then, his arms tightly wrapped around Chanyeol's present to him, face buried into the soft fur of the teddy bear. From the dim glow of the nightlight, Auntie Byun sees dried streaks of tears on her son's chubby cheeks, and she gently wipes them away with her thumb.

 

It's the first time Chanyeol had ever gotten angry at Baekhyun. To say that Auntie Byun was surprised is an understatement--Chanyeol practically treasures Baekhyun more than everything else in the world.

 

Chanyeol is always the first one to be by Baekhyun's side whenever Baekhyun falls down. The first one to kiss Baekhyun's forehead whenever Baekhyun frowns. The first one to comfort Baekhyun whenever he starts crying.

 

And in return, Baekhyun treasure Chanyeol the most too.

 

Chanyeol is the first person Baekhyun goes to whenever Baekhyun wants to show off a new toy. He is the first person that Baekhyun runs to when Baekhyun is scared. The first person that Baekhyun goes to whenever he wants to cry. 

 

Auntie Byun is almost certain that his son and Chanyeol cannot survive a day apart from each other. 

 

She is also almost certain that Chanyeol will definitely come back to apologise to Baekhyun for his unintentional harsh words. Because she knows that Chanyeol hates to see Baekhyun hurt more than anything else in the world, and she knows that Chanyeol must be feeling very guilty right now.

 

He will come tomorrow, Auntie Byun thinks, as she takes a last glance at his own son who is curled up against Teddy, before falling into a deep slumber herself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol wakes up early that day and eats breakfast in record time.

 

"Slow down, or you'll choke..." His mother yawns while holding her cup of coffee in both hands. She is donned in the blue flowery dress that Chanyeol hates, but he doesn't make any comment on it today.

 

He has got more important things to do today.

 

He quickly slings his bag onto his shoulder, and he makes his way out. Auntie Park, still bleary-eyed and half-asleep, watches his son lace up his shoes with determination.

 

"I don't think Baekhyun is awake yet, Chanyeol-ah..." She says when she realises what Chanyeol was planning to do. "It's only 7am in the morning."

 

"Oh." Chanyeol deflates a little, his shoelaces drooping down. He had forgotten to take into account that Baekhyun would be sleepiing. "...Maybe after school then." 

 

His mother gives him a small smile of encouragement. "That would be good."

 

Chanyeol finishes up his shoelaces and makes his way to the door rather glumly. He sneaks a glance at Auntie Byun's house. He feels a pang of guilt and apprehension as he realises that Auntie Byun is already awake, and has started to tend to the flowers and vegetables that were growing in their front yard. (His own parents never liked gardening--their own front yard was in a mess.) She must not have slept well; Chanyeol could hear Baekhyun's crying till late into the night.

 

Auntie Byun turns around then and their eyes meet. Chanyeol jumps guiltily and returns the gaze sheepishly. 

 

"Good morning, Chanyeollie." Auntie Byun smiles at him, albeit a little warily. "You're early today. Uncle Byun just left for work."

 

There is a little silence between them, and Chanyeol feels really, really bad, because this kind of silence has never existed between him and Auntie Byun before. 

 

Before he does anything to break the silence, however, Auntie Byun is the first to speak.

 

"I hope you are feeling better today." Auntie Byun says, and while Chanyeol is touched to hear the genuine concern in her voice, he feels even more guilty for lashing out on Baekhyun yesterday. Chanyeol had hurt her son and make him cry all night, after all.

 

"About that... I'm sorry for yesterday, Auntie Byun." Chanyeol shifts the dirt under him around using the tip of his sneaker. "I shouldn't have been angry at Baekhyun. It wasn't his fault at all. I got so angry that I said words that I didn't mean, and I--"

 

"It's ok, Chanyeollie." Auntie's Byun smile is warmer now. "I understand that you didn't mean those words... but you'll have to come back later to apologise to Baekhyun later, ok?"

 

He feels like a huge weight just lifted off his shoulders.

 

"Yes, of course I will, Auntie Byun. Later, when I come back home."

 

Chanyeol heads off to school with a spring in his step, already waiting anxiously for his school day to end later.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Later" does not come, because Chanyeol had forgotten that he is supposed to have detention today.

 

Or everyday for 3 months, actually, Chanyeol thinks glumly, trudging along the hallways to the detention room. He has just realised that he has detention for the next 3 hours, and what was he going to do with those 3 hours? He will much rather be at home, or even better, Auntie Byun's house.

 

He reaches the detention room and throws open the door with a large sigh, only to be startled when he sees another student already seated inside the room, grinning a smile that was oddly similar to the Cheshire Cat, Chanyeol thought. "Oh cool, he's here!" He exclaims excitedly, and Chanyeol shrinks back a little when the lanky student jumps up to get a better look at him even though he is half a room across from him.

 

"Jongdae," the teacher supervisor says tiredly, "sit down and stop being a nuisance. Chanyeol, come in and sit down anywhere you like." 

 

"Jongdae" pats the seat next to him, his eyes glittering with excitement. Chanyeol, who didn't have the heart to reject him, meekly sat down while trying to avoid the inquisitive eyes of Jongdae. 

 

10 minutes passes by with Jongdae in awkward silence (or at least, on Chanyeol's part) before the teacher excuses himself and goes to the washroom. Once the teacher is out of earshot, Jongdae pounces onto Chanyeol.

 

"You're the guy who punched Kim Kibum in the face, aren't you?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Auntie Byun catches his son looking longingly out of the window for the 26th time since he woke up, and she smiles a little to herself.

 

"Baekhyun-ah, what are you looking at?" She asks, even though she knows perfectly well what her son was trying to look for.

 

"... Will Channie-hyung come back?" Baekhyun turns around and looks at her with large, hopeful eyes, and it breaks her heart a little when she spots a hint of fear and uncertainty in his round eyes. 

 

"Of course he will, Baekhyun-ah." Auntie Byun smiles and ruffles his hair affectionately, and Baekhyun seems to calm down visibly. 

 

"Really?" He asks again for confirmation in a small voice.

 

"Of course." Auntie Byun confirms, and feeling reassured, Baekhyun slowly starts to doze off, just in time for his afternoon nap.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You don't seem like the type to break rules though," Jongdae surveys Chanyeol's face critically. "What are you doing here?"

 

Unpleasant memories of Kim Kibum and his obnoxious laughter comes to surface in Chanyeol's mind, and he feels the anger bubbling all over again.

 

Well, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for that Kim Kibum, Chanyeol wants to snap, but he bites down his anger and tries to compose himeself. "Well, what are you doing here then?" Chanyeol retorts, trying to keep the irritation out of his tone.

 

Chanyeol isn't really expecting an answer in the first place, but he got more than what he bargained for. "Well, I may or may not have hacked into the school system," he says airily, "and disabled the entire school's PA system."

 

"Wow." Chanyeol exclaims in awe before he can stop himself, and Jongdae looks smug. "No wonder we didn't have any announcments for 3 days." Chanyeol recalls vaguely.

 

Jongdae lets out an evil giggle. "They spent at least a day trying to find out what went wrong. It was really funny." 

 

Chanyeol lets out a little giggle himself as he imagines the teachers in the technology department looking hassled while trying to find the problem and he decides that Jongdae isn't such a bad person as he thought he was.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol ends his detention session in high spirits. 

 

He had spent most of his detention fooling around around with Jongdae, making funny comments about every mean teacher they could think of, and listening to Jongdae's adventures in school. 

 

(Chanyeol also inferred that Jongdae was a bit of a computer-whizz, even more adept at programming than most adults even though he was a year younger than Chanyeol.)

 

Jongdae enthusiastically offered to teach Chanyeol programming someday ("so that next time I have an assistant to help me with hacking!") and Chanyeol nods to the suggestion, because programming sounds wickedly cool and Chanyeol needed a break from playing the gutiar anyway. 

 

(And when they part ways at the school gate, Chanyeol can't help but think that Jongdae could be a better friend than his previous bandmates ever were.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Umma, does Channie-hyung hate me?"

 

Baekhyun has woken up from his afternoon nap for at least 2 hours already. It is way past 6 in the late afternoon and Baekhyun is getting restless. Chanyeol hasn't reached home yet, which is strange, because he reaches home early every Thursday at around 4.30pm sharp.

 

But it's already late and Baekhyun is getting more and more convinced that Chanyeol is truly angry with him, and no matter how much Auntie Byun tries to console the toddler, it doesn't seem to work anymore. 

 

As the hour hand gradually approaches seven, Baekhyun seems to be on the verge of tears. "Umma, what if Channie-hyung really hates me...?" He asks in a wavering voice, his eyes beginning to glimmer with moisture. 

 

"Channie-hyung doesn't hate you, Baekhyun-ah." Auntie Byun repeats a little tiredly. "Channie-hyung really likes you a lot... or else he wouldn't have bought Teddy for you, hm?" Auntie Byun hands the dog-eared plushie to his son, who hugs it immediately.

 

"But he shouted at me..." He softly says, his lips trembling. "Baekhyun made Channie-hyung angry, that's why Channie-hyung shouted at me..."

 

The tears start to fall from his eyes again and Auntie Byun sighs.

 

Chanyeol-ah, come home quickly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is only when Chanyeol is halfway through his way home that he realises the mission he had set out to do today.

 

"Oh crap!" He mentally smacks himself. He had told himself yesterday that it would be the first thing he would do in the morning, but it's already turning dark and Chanyeol has no idea what time it is since he doesn't usually wear a watch and Chanyeol curses himself because Baekhyun should have woken up from his 3pm afternoon nap already, and he might still be crying at home, and Auntie Byun must be angry at him for causing so much trouble for her, and...

 

There no time to think so much now! He scolds himself, and he immediately breaks into a sprint home, his books clutched tightly to his chest and his school tie flying behind him. He ignores the quzzical looks thrown in his way and the burn in his legs--he knows he's going to get muscle aches tomorrow from the sudden exercise he is getting, but he can't stop--literally, because he's running down a slope.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Channie-hyung really hates me..." Baekhyun takes one glance at the darkened sky, loses all hope and starts crying. His tears fall down for the umpteenth time that day and both Uncle and Auntie Byun sighs.

 

"I can tell what you mean now..." Uncle Byun whispers to his wife while awkwardly trying to console his son sitting on his lap. "Has he been like this the whole day?"

 

Auntie Byun just nods mutely and sighs. Baekhyun's unfinished dinner lies sadly on the dinner table, despite their combined efforts to try to feed Baekhyun. 

 

"Baekhyun-ah, it's not good to be a crybaby, stop crying now." Uncle Byun adds sternly, but Baekhyun doesn't seem to be able to stop even though he tries to bite his lips to mute out the sounds.

 

Just then, they heard knocking on their front door, and a voice calling out from behind it.

 

"Auntie Byun, I'm here!" They could make out the faint sounds of Chanyeol's voice behind the front door. Auntie Byun quickly rushes to the door while Baekhyun scrambles out of his seat in Uncle Byun's lap. "Channie-hyung? Channie-hyung is here?"

 

Auntie Byun opens the door, and what greeted them was a sweaty Chanyeol, with a huge tear in his pants that revealed a bloodied knee. 

 

"Oh dear! What happened?" Auntie Byun quickly ushers Chanyeol to the nearest chair, while Uncle Byun leaves to find a first-aid kit. 

 

"I ran..." Chanyeol pants, still breathless from running, and winces when he bends his knees to sit down, "and I fell... down a slope..."

 

"Aish... how could you be so careless..." Auntie Byun chides as she immediately washes Chanyeol's wound with a clean wipe. She realises that Chanyeol isn't listening to her anymore, because even though Chanyeol still winces at the pain every now and then, his eyes is focused on Baekhyun, who is hiding behind Uncle Byun's leg and staring at Chanyeol warily.

 

"Baek... come here." Chanyeol spreads his arms out, smiling hesitantly. 

 

Her son obliges, taking cautious steps towards Chanyeol while wiping his tear-streaked face. Chanyeol scoops Baekhyun up when he is within reach and places him on top of his lap, while taking care to avoid his scraped knees. 

 

Chanyeol leans in and presses his mouth close to Baekhyun's ear. "I'm sorry, Baek." Chanyeol whispers softly, but both Auntie Byun and Uncle Byun hears it.

 

"I didn't mean any of those words I said yesterday." Chanyeol continues while holding Baekhyun close. "I'm sorry that I got angry at you."

 

"Baekhyun means the most to Channie-hyung, so don't cry anymore. Channie-hyung doesn't like it when Baekhyun cries." He wipes Baekhyun's tear-streaked face and kisses him on the forehead.

 

(Uncle Byun cringes a little at the display of affection but Auntie Byun just smiles as she is already used to it.)

 

The brightest, most dazzling smile breaks out on Baekhyun's face. Baekhyun presses himself closer into Chanyeol's embrace and their bodies mold perfectly together, as though they were made for each other.

 

And Auntie Byun thinks, as she watches Baekhyun plant a kiss on Chanyeol's cheeks, maybe they were.

 

She just hopes that Chanyeol will always be by Baekhyun's side, even when she's no longer by their sides to take care of them anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


not proofread yet or anything (and probably will never be like the rest of the chapters)

sorry for the really long wait! (school's terrible)

 

 Summary for this chapter:

1) swagyolo jongdae on chanyeol's potential new bff list

2) baekyeol making up and flufffff

the next update won't be till at least october! (for those asking me to update soon... sorry)

and i really love all of your comments! they never fail to make my day!

also, 72 upvotes! thank you so much guys /cries grateful tears/ i never thought this fic would come so far... sorry if i don't meet all your expectations :'(

 

and the sad news in the kpop industry...

RIP EunB and RiSe.