Chapter 1

Way to Your Heart

A quick glance out her window told her it was going to be a sunny, blue-without-a-cloud-in-sight day. Another perfect one, she thought. She checked herself over again in the mirror, and for the umpteenth time that morning, brushed imaginary dust off of the front and straightened the collar of her uniform. Satisfied with how she appeared, her lips gently curled into a smile. Hyoyeon picked up her schoolbag from where it was sitting on the chair next to her white bedroom door and proceeded to head downstairs for breakfast.
 

------------

 

Hyukjae…
Hyukjae.
Lee Hyukjae.
“Lee Hyukjae!” his mother yelled from outside his room, rapping her knuckles on his door. “Wake up! Now! Before you’re late for school!”

Inside, the brunette groaned and rubbed open his sleepy eyes. Still grumbling, he yawned loudly and stretched his arms towards his apple-green ceiling. He glimpsed at the black and white clock on the wall to his right. It was still early. He rolled out of his messy bed lazily and trudged into the connecting bathroom. Emerging 20 minutes later, dressed in a freshly pressed uniform, Eunhyuk was finally ready for school. 

"Morning, umma," he greeted as he sat on one of the chairs surrounding the dining table and began munching on his toast. 

Across the table, Mrs. Lee gave him a stern look and pursed her lips. "Why do you always wake up so late?"

He continued to chew at a snail’s pace, and said calmly, "Relax umma. I'm not going to be late."
She stared at him, incredulous. Fuming, she pointed at the clock hanging in the dining room. "School started 5 minutes ago! Is that not late enough for you?" 

"What?” Eunhyuk looked at her in surprise. His eyes flickered to the timepiece. 8:05 


Well. I’m screwed, was the only thought that flashed through his mind.

He bolted off of his chair, scrambled to grab his bag, and launched himself at the door, swearing up and down. “Mr. Han is going to kill me!”

"Bye umma!" he shouted, tearing out of the house. 

"Be careful!" she called after him. By then, he was already out of hearing range.
 

---------


Eunhyuk glanced at his wristwatch and wiped a sweaty forehead with his sleeve. 8:10
Mentally cursing, he started to sprint even faster. Five more minutes before Mrs. Park locked the front gate.
Pushing his lungs and legs to their maximum ability, the brunette gasped for air and wished for non-burning calves. In his haste to reach the school, he tripped over the uneven sidewalk. Gravity took over and his body tumbled to the ground.

"Owwww..." He winced as he gingerly touched his bleeding forehead and examined his scrapped elbows. His eyebrows furrowed. I need to go. It's extremely late. Clucking his tongue in annoyance and pain, he made a hasty run to school which was now just half a block away. Barely squeezing past Mrs. Park who tried to lecture him in her shrill voice, he hurried to his class. As he approached the door to Math, Eunhyuk slowed to a walk and heaved a deep sigh in relief and exhaustion. The moment his foot had stepped through the threshold of the door, a voice rang out above the general noise of the classroom. 
"Late again, Mr. Lee?... And for the third time in this week.” Mr. Han looked at him disapprovingly. “And per usual, I'm sure you have a reasonable excuse for being late yet again, Mr. Lee?" 

Eunhyuk chewed on the inside of his cheek and bowed his head, guilty. "I'm sorry, Mr. Han. I won’t be late again. I promise." 
Mr. Han snorted and raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "Lee Hyukjae, you've been saying this same ‘promise’ of yours since your first day in this classroom. What gives you any more credibility today than yesterday?"

The accused bit his lip in pain as he was distracted by his suddenly throbbing forehead. He brought his hand to his face to probe the wound. Mr. Han noticed and sighed. “What happened today, Hyukjae?”

"I-I t-tripped while running to s-school," Eunhyuk stuttered, looking at his shoes.

Mr. Han sighed once again. "Donghae, would you please bring Hyukjae to the first-aid room? Knowing him, he will most likely need dire assistance." 
Eunhyuk’s best friend obediently stood up. "Yes, Mr. Han." 

 

---------

 

Eunhyuk strolled through the hallway towards the grassy school field. Ignoring the fangirling juniors who squealed when he walked past, he approached a large, shady tree, and slumped down to the ground under its comforting branches. Feeling lethargic, the brunette closed his eyes and heaved a sigh. Today was just too tiring. He just wanted to sleep. Sadly for him though, the silence in the air around him didn’t last long. 
"Eunhyuk!" Hyoyeon called out cheerfully.

 

How was my first chapter? Big thanks to kpopinsane23 and miyoungkwon for editing my story. They both had done a great job. Enjoy reading! :)