Still the Same Heart

A Wolf's Meal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

►Minsoo

Seeing me flinch away from his touch, Tao draws his hand back to himself, examining my face in worry, "I'm...I'm so sorry," he whispers.

Despite being scared from the images of bloody corpses clouding my mind, I manage to smile sincerely at the kind boy whose face shows no hints of offense; although my reaction had clearly shocked and hurt him.

"We...we really don't want to," Tao continued to speak, in a louder volume than previous, "it gives some of us nightmares to think about the people we've killed," he looks at Kai sympathetically, "...while others of us simply hate ourselves because of our existence."

"Don't hate yourself," Haneul reassures him with a quick pat on the shoulder, "Minsoo and I were just shocked - but we understand; don't we, Minsoo?"

"Y-yeah..." I clear my throat uncertainly, "I guess...you really are wolves..."

"But we're still EXO! We're still the same people who would shield the two of you from our fan girls; the same people who would help you carry your books to the locker!" Luhan begs us with his round and shining eyes, "we're not human...but we do have a heart..."

 

Hearing his sad words, my own heart clenches and I glance towards Tao - still kneeling by my side. His eyes are now cast downwards, and a quiet tear falls into the carpet, staining the material with its saline aftertaste.

"It's alright...we're alright. I think," my lips turn up into a determined smile, "it's true that I do not like what you have done - and let's face it, even criminals receive prejudice in society after they've been freed; simply because a mistake is not easily forgotten. Thank you for being honest with us though, and not hiding the ugly truth from our ears." I turn to Tao, who still refuses to look up at me, "Tao-ssi...thank you very much for saving me from those two drunken men last time; I trust that you are a good pers-- I mean, wolf."

His ears visible perk up, as his tear-stained face looks up at me with renewed hope, "Really? I mean, you're not repulsed by what we are?"

"I would be lying if I said I didn't mind at all," I his wet cheek softly, "but I'm willing to give you all a chance to show me that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter