Chapter Two: Mystery Boy Daehyun

Late Night Coffee Shop

Youngjae POV

 

Fifteen minutes into class, and I was already bored out of my mind. My pencil found my way to the graph paper in front of me and I started to shade in the little boxes, forming a cute little pattern. I smiled proudly to myself at my designs, and so I turned to show Jongup.

"Psst Jongup-ah!" I whispered to him, trying not to bring attention to myself. He turned, and gave me a confused look. I quickly showed him my paper and he smirked softly, flashing me his paper as well. It was covered in messy english letters that spelled out "Chris Brown".There was a picture of two stick figures holding hands. I laughed a little too loudly because the teacher turned and glared at me. I gave her a small bow and turned back around in my seat, now starting to draw random circles decorating my paper. Suddenly a loud bang was heard and I looked up at the door that swung open suddenly. 

It was that quiet boy Daehyun that always seemed to grab my interest since the beginning of the year. He never talked and didn't seem to have any friends, but he always rushed off after school like he had somewhere to go. I was growing more curious as each day passed. He walked in and bowed to the teacher, she gave him a disapproving look and he hurried to the back. I watched him as he slumped into his seat, I noticed that his breathing was off and I guessed that he must have been running here. I continued to watch him as he rubbed his hands together and buried his face in his scarf. There was small snow flakes covering his clothes and some had started to melt already. He shivered and glanced over to me, I figured that must have been my cue to look away. But I didn't.

He looked slightly unconfortable as he closed his eyes, at that moment I knew I wanted to know more about him. And so I made up my mind.

I was going to get to know him.

 

....

 

It was finally break and I collected my books at the same pace Jongup and Junhong did so that we could all walk together. Making our way to the staircase, we seen Yongguk and Himchan waiting there already. Yongguk looked angry, and Himchan sipped on the starbucks drink in his hand. Finally when Jongup called out Himchan's name, he looked up and waved at us excitedly.

"Where have you guys been?" I asked with an amused expression on my face.

Yongguk growled and pointed a thumb at Himchan accusingly."Ask him."

Himchan gave an offended expression and scoffed. "Oh, so now its my fault that we were late? Nobody asked you to carpool with me anyways!" 

Yongguk's head shot towards Himchan, "You think I wanted to carpool with you?! You think it was my decision? Huh? Huh!?" 

"Yah!" I yelled trying to get them to stop fighting. I looked over to see Zelo's eyes as wide as saucers, he turned to Jongup in a frightened manner. 

"Don't be scared bro, this happens on the daily" Jongup explained. Zelo looked over at me with a "you can't be serious" face. 

"Yah! Yongguk, Himchan! yah! YAH!" Yongguk and Himchan stopped their arguing and looked over at me, "You guys are scaring the kid," I whispered while motioning in Zelo's direction discreetly.

Zelo's eyes were still wide with confusion as Yongguk and Himchan looked towards him. Himchan scoffed and rolled his eyes at the kid while Yongguk stood with his head tilted and an amused smile spread across his face. Zelo looked confused as i explained to them about him being a transfer student and all. I turned towards Zelo.

"Zelo meet Yongguk and Himchan," he bowed with a soft hello, "Yongguk and Himchan this is Zelo, be nice" I motioned towards him.

"Sup," Himchan nodded while sitting down on the step he stood on. Yongguk immediately walked over to Zelo a little too eagerly, but he tried to play it off.

"Uh, ahem, what's up man," he gave him a bro handshake, "Zelo's a cool name," he complimented him while ruffling his hair. 

Jongup looked up from his phone at the scene then looked over to me. I looked at him then at Himchan as he did the same then we all looked at Yongguk and Zelo in front of us. They blabbered on about who knows what as Yongguk had the biggest smile on his face. This is the nicest we've ever seen Yongguk, I got shivers down my spine. We continued to watch as Yongguk giggled and seemed to form a sort of sparkle in his eyes. 

"So Zelo what was your other school like?" I asked. Yongguk and Zelo continued their conversation in their own little bro world without even acknowledging my presence. "Um, so what made you transfer?" I continued to pursue an answer from either one of them . "What is goin' on here?" I asked Himchan. he shrugged. "Weird," I said to myself. Since nothing was breaking up this bromance anytime soon I looked for a way to break away from the group without anyone noticing. So when Himchan and Jongup started to talk to each other I slowly tip toed away from them.

When I finally reached the corner of the hallway I made it my mission to find mystery boy Daehyun.

I made my way down the hallway past the groups of people lingering around their old beat up lockers. I tried to put myelf in Daehyun's shoes. 

"Hmm, if I were Daehyun where would I go?" I asked myself pausing for a moment. I snapped my fingers and headed through the heavy metal doors. 

 

 

Daehyun POV

I blew my bangs out of my face and stretched as I closed my locker and headed towards the end of the hallway. I always treasured my breaks, almost as much as I treasured food. I buttoned up my jacket as I headed through the heavy metal doors outside. The cold hit me like a boulder of ice, but I just took it all in. I made sure no one saw me as i turned the corner and jogged to the back of the school. I arrived at a door that opened to a staircase that lead to the roof. I made my way to the top with a smile on my face. I opened the door and walked over to a cement boulder and sat down. I set my backpack down, took out my phone and started playing my music as I leaned back and looked up at the clouded sky. 

"Ah, its one of those days," I softly smiled as I closed my eyes.

I looked down at the ground for a moment, "But I wonder why that kid Youngjae was staring at me in class," I mumbled trying to come up with a solution. "Maybe he wasn't looking at me, maybe he was daydreaming and just happened to be staring in my direction" I nodded, as if that would help me convince myself although it wasn't working. 

I shook my head while I continued to come up with excuse after excuse. "Ahh," I shook my head, "Why am I even thinking about this in the first place?" I asked myself when I heard a noise. I paused my music as my eyes shot over to the door when I saw a head peek in. I stared when I saw them pull their head back in and close the door. 

"What was that about?" I whispered under my breath as my heart quickened it's pace. Just then the door flung open with tremendous force and Youngjae popped out. My heart started to beat even faster. I glared at him and his embarrassment for flinging the door open so forcefully causing it to ricochet off the wall. 

"Oooh, um, aha, oops," he managed to let out as he walked towards me, "hey, um I'm Youngjae" he said as he made his way to my boulder. 

Why is this guy talking to me? How did he find me?

He inched his way over and sat next to me. "Nice to meet you" he extended his arm out with a smile.

Isn't this guy popular? Why is he up here talking to me?

I just stared at his hand, before turning away to gather up my things. He watched me awkwardly after I rejected his friendly gesture. Standing up, I headed towards the exit. I ce to look at him before I left, and his eyes were hurt and shocked. I felt a bit guilty after seeing him like that, I wanted to go back. Instead I just stood behind the exit door and paused for a moment.

But why is my heart beating so fast?