chapter 3

Cry For Help

“To tell you the truth, Baekhyun-ssi, even our doctors have been unable to understand what exactly is bothering Han Areum. She doesn’t talk, doesn’t do anything. She only sits there and does nothing. But, when let out of the white room, she will find anything at all that is in sight to hurt herself. She seems set on ending her life. Not only that, our doctors are also unable to fathom what exactly had caused this. Her parents, when they left her here, didn’t mention anything about an incident that could have traumatized her. All we know about Han Areum is her basic information, and that she is of a wealthy and well-to-do family with a business that she had been in line to inherit, being the only child. What we also know is that she had been sent into this hospital after her attempt at suicide that she had almost succeeded in, though why, we don’t know. Her parents have left the country, paying the hospital a lot of money to keep Han Areum under our care, and making sure that we do not let her out of the hospital at all costs as long as we can keep her here. Han Areum has been through many different sessions with many different doctors yet, there hasn’t been a clue given in the last 6 months as to what it is that is causing her to suffer.”

Baekhyun stared at the ground for a long time. It had been a week and a half since his last encounter with Areum when she had her nervous breakdown. His naturally smart brain tried to understand the situation Areum was in, how there is a huge hole Baekhyun has yet to discover in her past, but he failed at doing so.

“Can I talk to her?” Baekhyun said quietly.

“Of course,” Dr. Kang replied without much hesitation.

She continued to explain, disappointed this time. “Unfortunately, you are not allowed to see her. I am taking precautions seeing as though she is a bit defensive when it comes to you, or rather, any other stranger. However, we can’t say for sure, since Areum has only ever been visited once, much less by a stranger. Or, at least, I believe the both of you don’t know each other on a personal level?”

Baekhyun nodded. “You’re right, we don’t. However, she is still my responsibility.”

“I understand,” Dr. Kang nodded. “Very well, then. Since you cannot see her, we will have you talk to her through the telephone installed with the very purpose to help communication between an unstable patient with another person.”

“Thank you, Dr. Kang.”

“It is my pleasure to help, Baekhyun-ssi,” Dr. Kang said and lead Baekhyun to the telephone right next to the door of Areum’s room.

“Your voice can be heard through a speaker in the room itself. So, you don’t have to worry about her not picking up your call. However, it is up to her whether she wants to reply or not. Therefore, rest assured, even if there is no reply, she is listening,” Dr. Kang explained. “If there is nothing else, I will give you the privacy you need.”

And with that, Dr. Kang walked away.

Baekhyun picked up the phone and held it in his large hand.

“Hello, Areum.”

There was no response. There was not even a sound of movement. It was completely silent.

Baekhyun took a deep breath.

“Han Areum. 17. Born on Valentines’ Day. You met my best friend, Lu Han, a year and a half ago, on the 14th of July at a tree in Lu Han’s favourite park. A few months later, Lu Han committed suicide and passed away. However, he left wealth, two friends and a note. Han Areum, as Lu Han’s lawyer, I have been asked to read this note to you but I was also told that you would only get to hear the contents the moment you accept me to help you. Helping you, Areum, is part of the note, a very important part. This is why I’m here. I’m here to follow after the last wishes of Lu Han. So, please, accept me in your life. I mean no harm at all. Let me help you, Areum,” Baekhyun said.

It had taken a lot of courage to say such things to Areum. Byun Baekhyun was only a quiet, sensitive boy, even at the age of 20, and he had never expected that being friends with Lu Han was going to land him in a situation where he needs to be doing things like this. He was simple. He didn’t have any problems that it was almost boring, as Lu Han would always say. Yet, Lu Han never stopped suffering because of his own problems. Lu Han was always envious of Baekhyun’s carefreeness yet all the while also frowning upon it.

Meeting Lu Han wasn’t hard. Baekhyun was the son of Lu Han’s late father’s lawyer who had been loyal to him ever since Lu Han’s father opened the company. His death was tragic, but it wasn’t unexpected. He suffered a heart attack but he left a will. His company, his land, his house and a lot of money was left for Lu Han, his only son.

Baekhyun first met Lu Han when Baekhyun had taken interest in law. He had dreamt of taking after his father’s footsteps and decided to follow his father to a meeting one day. That same day, however, was when Lu Han had been encouraged to take after his own father’s footsteps and learn about the company. Baekhyun had been trailing after his father like a lost puppy when his eyes fell on a boy the same size as him, which wasn’t a common sight in the company filled with tall businessmen strictly there for business. The boy had a look on his face that to this day, Baekhyun hadn’t been able to figure out. It was neither a positive look nor a negative one.

The next thing he knew, he was standing face-to-face with the young and weird boy. At that age, none of them knew what status was. Baekhyun eyed Lu Han from head to toe and gave a weird look, outrightly judging his appearance. Lu Han raised an eyebrow and looked down, yet it wasn’t a look of shame from being judged. It was an expression Baekhyun would never understand.

Lu Han’s father chuckled. “’This your son?”

Baekhyun’s father smiled and nodded. “Yes, his name is Byun Baekhyun.”

“Taking after your footsteps?”

“So he says, sir. Baekhyun-ah, you want to be a lawyer like me?”

Baekhyun took his eyes off Lu Han and looked at his father, beaming. “Yes, I do.”

“Well then, maybe you could serve Lu Han here in future.”

“Lu Han?” Baekhyun asked, innocent.

“My boy here, Baekhyun, is Lu Han. He will be taking over the company in future. Your father, here, serves me, so maybe, his son, you, will serve Lu Han.”

On that very day, Baekhyun learnt what status really was.

As both sons visited the company more often, friendship eventually began to bloom. Baekhyun learnt more about Lu Han’s eccentric ways but he never truly understood him. Yet, he never stopped being supportive, knowing his status was different from that of Lu Han, knowing he will one day serve Lu Han like a servant his father was to Lu Han’s father. But, there was never hatred. Baekhyun sincerely loved Lu Han, but never like a brother. Because he knew he couldn’t, he wasn’t allowed to. He could only be a friend to Lu Han, but in Baekhyun’s eyes, Lu Han was his best friend.

His attention went back to the telephone. Minutes had passed, but there was no response.

Baekhyun paused. He wasn’t about to give up just yet.

“Areum. Part of ‘helping you’ is to get you out of this hospital. Lu Han strongly believes the last place you belong to is a mental hospital and yet, here you are, in one. For that, I apologise since I have not been able to commit to this will from day one. Areum. I’m pretty sure you want to leave this hospital. I’m not sure if you remember, but I will tell you anyway. My name is Byun Baekhyun, and I’m going to help you get out of this hospital. All you need to do in order for me to be able to do that is trust me.”

Still, there was no response. Baekhyun sighed.

“In approximately three weeks. In approximately three weeks, I will be able to let you out. I’m not lying to you. Lu Han has left me enough power to do so. So, please, trust me.”

Right when Baekhyun finally realized the depth of hesitance Areum was carrying and was about to leave, a soft, subtle mutter of acceptance was heard, and Baekhyun’s heart almost soared right out of his chest. He was relieved, happy even, that his first job as Lu Han’s lawyer was a success. However, there was more to come, and he had to be ready.

---

Two weeks passed. Areum counted. She earnestly took her medicines and cooperated with her doctors, however she still didn’t speak to anyone. She knew that an important thing to do to leave the hospital was to show that she is stable enough. Without that, no amount of power could save her.

Two weeks.

Yet Baekhyun never came again. Areum was close to believing he had been lying all along. And he wasn’t going to come back and save her. She was close to stopping the intake of the medicines that only drove her crazier. She was close to giving up.

However, on that same day that crazy thought lingered on her mind, there was an unfamiliar knock on her door.

“Areum? Can I come in?” said the not-so-familiar voice.

Areum didn’t respond, but when Baekhyun poked his head in and saw that she wasn’t shaking her head, he entered. He carried along a pencil case and pieces of paper in his hand. Behind him was Dr. Kang.

“Hello, Areum. How are you doing?” Dr. Kang asked.

But she received no response from the girl who had her eyes hooked on Baekhyun.

The door closed behind Dr. Kang who stood behind Baekhyun who sat down in front of Areum.

“Hello,” Baekhyun greeted without worrying about a response.

However, surprisingly, he received a nod. He saw the hopeful look on Areum’s eyes and knew that she was expecting the news that she can be granted a discharge. For that, Baekhyun gave her a sympathetic smile because that wasn’t why he was seeing her.

“Firstly, I apologise for not visiting in so long. Lu Han had left me several tasks and I had to attend to the others while waiting for the date you can be released. Fortunately, it is only three days away,” he offered a smile.

Although he didn’t receive one back, he saw the soft look in Areum’s eyes.

He continued. “The reason I am here today… is because I am going to sit with you and watch you draw. I heard you were good at it.”

“I’m not,” Areum’s voice was faintly heard.

It took Baekhyun aback, the rare sound of her voice. But his spirit didn’t falter.

“Lu Han said you were. And, the book you were found with on that fateful day contained many drawings that I recognize as true art. So, I want to see you draw for me today.”

When Areum didn’t respond, Baekhyun zipped open the pencil case he had brought along. He pushed it to Areum together with the pieces of paper. Areum, with shivering hands, touched the objects. It was the first objects from the outside she’s seen in a long time that weren’t needles or medicine.

“Go on. Draw,” Baekhyun said with a soft voice.

The worried look on his face went unnoticed by Areum who slowly opened the pencil case wider to take out a pencil. Areum paused as her face paled when she saw the content of the pencil case in the midst of searching for a pencil.

There was a blue penknife placed inside, together with pencils, pens, an eraser and a ruler.

And then it clicked what this was.

It was a test.

She stared hard and long at the object she once considered her weapon. No, she scolded herself. No, no, no. She was not going to do it. Look… away. But her eyes didn’t work with her. They started to glare at the object instead, with so much hatred.

With much restrain, Baekhyun said. “Go on, Areum. Draw.”

Areum gulped. Her confidence in Baekhyun wavered but she remembered her trust in him, one that was reciprocated. He trusted her. He trusted her to overlook the sharp item. He was trusting her. The picture of Lu Han cutting his last vein in the tub flashed in Areum’s eyes again and she almost broke down but she held on; held on to the last string of hope she still had. Lu Han wouldn’t want her like that. It was selfish of him, to do it, yet disallowing her to follow his footsteps. But there was still Baekhyun.

Areum’s fingers touched the contents of the pencil case, lingering on the object. She could see Dr. Kang sighing in resignation and Baekhyun’s trust wavering. And then, her fingers, against her will of the mind, yet for her will of the heart, moved to the pencil that lied right next to it.

She saw the smile on Baekhyun’s face. She saw the shocked look on Dr. Kang’s face.

There was hope.

However, that huge amount of hope, trust and confidence, the pride, the happiness, they disappeared as quickly as they appeared. Areum’s fingers gripped hard onto the sharp pencil, moving it towards the paper, the one with her hand lying so comfortably on. Baekhyun was as quick as her to stop the pencil that was about to jab at her thin hands but she kicked him away from under the table. With the pencil still in hand, she stood up and pushed the table to the side. She screamed.

Dr. Kang opened the door and started calling for the nurses but Areum pushed her out. Areum closed the door right after that and locked it. She could hear the commotion from outside. They were trying to force the door open.

Areum turned to Baekhyun who was on the floor, propped up by his elbows, watching her in both fear and curiosity.

The want within Areum to just stab him with the pencil and then herself was strong, but it wasn’t as strong as the look in Baekhyun’s eyes that challenged her.

Even if the man was stupid, even if he didn’t understand, if he was shallow and foolish, he definitely knew one thing. Areum didn’t have the courage that Lu Han had. She could continue to hurt herself, but the truth is, she is only breaking down the barrier that stops her from bieng able to finish herself off. She is still a kid, fearful and innocent. She is still young.

Baekhyun watch as the little courage she had crumbled and she turned towards the door being banged on. Her forehead touched the surface, and the pencil in her grip broke into half. Both her fists shivered with the intensity of her grip as she slipped down to the floor. Finally, she let go of the pencil in her hands and crawled to Baekhyun. She took his hand, and hugged it tight. Baekhyun softened at the touch.

“I- I’m s- sorry. I- w-was- wrong. I-‘m sorry- I-“

“It’s okay, Areum. It’s okay. It’s okay. You overcame your weakness. So it’s okay. Everything’s okay now. Everything’s okay.”