Let's Try Together

BangLo Oneshots


 


 

A socially awkward YongGuk crosses paths with a flirty, confident boy named JunHong



 

YongGuk didn’t like this. He didn’t like this at all.

Parties were not his scene. He loved music – the pumping bass was definitely appreciated by his eardrums – but not parties. He would much rather sit at home with his headphones clapped to his ears than stand awkwardly in the foyer of this house knowing he had to venture forth.

He wouldn’t have come but HimChan had insisted and HimChan was his best friend, so YongGuk heaved a deep sigh and walked through the foyer to the main part of the house.

Everyone was laughing and talking and drinking and dancing. Great. That probably meant all these people already knew each other or they were already drunk enough not to care. He stood there for five painfully awkward minutes until he made a dive for the drinks table. For a minute he could just get a drink and not look as socially awkward as he actually was.

He surveyed the table of drinks and furrowed his eyebrows. He drank on occasion but that was normally beer, not the unpronounceable beverages (and for some odd reason, fruit) that filled this table. He looked around and saw people with beers but where were they ­getting them from? And more importantly where was Kim HimChan?

YongGuk ran a hand through his hair then began to fiddle around with the drinks on the table to appear as though he was doing something. A couple passed by holding beers and YongGuk’s eye twitched.

Where the hell are the beers?” he hissed to himself.

“In the kitchen in the fridge,” a voice said behind him.

YongGuk span around to see a tall boy stylishly dressed with blonde coiffed hair. He’d seen this kid around and heard of him. Apparently he was extremely popular and a lady-killer. He looked young though, and it made YongGuk’s protective side come out.

“Aren’t you a little young to be here?”

The boy rolled his eyes.

“It’s a house party, it doesn’t matter. Do you want a beer?” he glanced at the table, “Or something else?”

YongGuk was about to answer when a pretty girl came up to the table and batted her eyelashes at the boy.

“JunHong-ah, will you make me a drink?” she asked sweetly, running her fingers down his arm and biting her lip. YongGuk would expect a boy his age to be phased by such suggestive attention from an older girl but he just smirked and returned her gaze.

“Tell me what you want, noona,” JunHong answered.

YongGuk raised his eyebrows at JunHong’s confidence. He wished he could have a quarter of it.

“Surprise me,” the girl said, still caressing JunHong’s arm.

YongGuk and the girl watched as Zelo expertly made some kind of drink involving strawberries and vodka. He took a sip and nodded approvingly then passed it to the girl. She grinned as she sipped her drink then just seemed to notice YongGuk.

“Who’s your friend, JunHong?”

“This is YongGuk,” JunHong said without pause, making YongGuk wonder how he knew his name.

“Wow, your voice is so deep,” the girl said, shamelessly flirting with YongGuk while still clinging to JunHong.

“Um, thanks,” YongGuk said, avoiding the girl’s gaze. She looked like she wanted to eat him. JunHong seemed to sense YongGuk’s unease and shrugged the girl off.

“Go dance, noona,” he said.

“Ok, I’ll be waiting for you,” she sang, then strutted off to the dance floor.

YongGuk let out a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding.

“She seems like a handful,” he said.

“Yeah, she’s a thirsty one,” JunHong said, smiling to himself.

“Your girlfriend?” YongGuk asked, noting the little smile on JunHong’s face.

“Nah, we were kind of a thing but nothing serious,” JunHong said.

YongGuk nodded, silently wondering how the hell JunHong had managed to get a girl that hot and that much older than him. But then again…

YongGuk tilted his head and considered JunHong as his eyes raked over the party crowd. He was tall, fashionable and extremely good-looking. And with his confidence girls were probably throwing themselves at his feet just so the tips of his Christian Loubitin sneakers would brush them.

“So do you want that beer or not?” JunHong asked, snapping YongGuk out of his thoughts.

“Um…sure,” YongGuk said, and followed JunHong to the kitchen. “Do you know HimChan by any chance?”

“Of course,” JunHong said, laughing, “Everyone knows – oh! Now I know why you look familiar – you and HimChan are always together!”

“Yeah, he’s my best friend,” YongGuk said, taking the beer JunHong gave him. “But after tonight maybe not.”

“Why?” JunHong asked, taking a beer for himself. YongGuk eyed the bottle and JunHong rolled his eyes.

“You’re not old enough to drink,” YongGuk stated.

JunHong popped the cap off the bottle using the kitchen counter then took a defiant swig.

“I asked you a question, please answer,” he said cooly.

YongGuk sighed. JunHong was a defiant teenager; he wouldn’t listen to YongGuk.

“He begged me to come here and I can’t find him,” YongGuk explained.

“So…”

“I hate parties and he knows it. He could at least be here.”

“You hate parties?” JunHong asked incredulously, “Why?”

YongGuk shrugged.

“I just like to be alone or with a few friends most of the time. Not…forced into a crowd of people.”

JunHong raised his eyebrows and nodded.

“You’re really interesting, YongGuk.”

YongGuk snorted a little in disagreement and watched as JunHong finished his beer.

“How old are you, JunHong?”

“Eighteen, I’m guessing you’re 23, like HimChan?”

YongGuk nodded.

“And how is old is that girl that was all over you?”

“Um…she’s 22 I think. But it’s mostly older girls that go after me, I dunno why,” JunHong said, shrugging. “What about you? Do you have a girlfriend?”

YongGuk shook his head.

“Hmm…why?”

“I honestly don’t know. I guess I don’t get the chance to meet a lot of girls and when I do I’m not that great – wait, why am I telling you this?”

“Maybe because I get girls and you don’t?” JunHong teased.

YongGuk glared at him.

“Geez, you’re cocky…”

“I’m not; I’m confident. You should be too. You have the face and the body – you just need to live up to it.”

“What were you doing, checking me out?” YongGuk joked.

“Yeah, I was actually,” JunHong admitted without pause.

YongGuk blinked and stared at JunHong.

“What, am I too young for you?” JunHong asked.

“Um…”

“YongGuk-ah! There you are!” HimChan’s voice rang through the kitchen making both YongGuk and JunHong jump.

“Wow you’re actually talking to people! And Choi JunHong at that!” HimChan said appreciatively.

HimChan then took in the awkwardness in the air and looked from YongGuk to JunHong.

“Is everything ok?” he asked, looking at JunHong

“Peachy,” JunHong said, “I was just asking YongGuk if he thought I was too young for him to date.”

HimChan’s eyes widened and he immediately left the room with a “Talk to you in a bit, Guk!”

YongGuk was about to go after him when JunHong grabbed his hand.

“Hey, where are you going?”

“To find HimChan,” YongGuk said, trying to pry off JunHong’s hand that was oddly making his face hot.

JunHong quickly stepped around YongGuk to block him.

“Ok, I get it, I’m coming on too strong. I should have figured you didn’t like that after how you acted with that girl out there.”

“JunHong –”

“Wait, just listen. I asked HimChan to invite you here so I could talk to you,” JunHong said

“What? Why?” YongGuk asked. “We don’t even know each other?”

“Well, I’ve seen you around and I…”

“You…?”

“I kind of have a crush on you,” JunHong said, looking uncharacteristically shy.

YongGuk blinked again.

“You like me? But…you’re Choi JunHong. You’re popular and you get all the girls and – ”

JunHong cut YongGuk off with a laugh.

“What does that matter? I think you’re really sweet and cute and different to everyone else. That’s your charm.”

YongGuk tried to ignore the fact that an 18-year old boy was making him blush and cleared his throat.

“Um…thanks,” he said awkwardly.

“Thanks? That’s it?” JunHong asked.

“Well…I mean…it would be great to get to know you more but I just…I’ve never really dated,” YongGuk said lamely.

“It’s okay, hyung,” JunHong said, giving him a reassuring smile. “Believe it or not, I haven’t either. Let’s try together?”

YongGuk smiled at the younger boy in front of him and nodded in agreement. JunHong broke into a grin and wrapped his arms around YongGuk.

"This is going to be so fun! Can I take you shopping tomorrow? Not that you need it...well...ok you do. So can I?"

YongGuk rolled his eyes but agreed anyway. 

This could be the beginning of a very interesting relationship.



 

I've been away for so long! >_< I'm sorry! I had some ridiculous writer's block for a few weeks but hopefully I'm getting over it! Let me know what you guys think ^^ Did you like this one?


 

pic cr: http://www.bettycrocker.com (Strawberry Caipirinha)