The Chasers: Part 2

Hearts That Beat Anew

Okay, so just to clear up some stuff, if you guys noticed in the first chapter, there was a mix-up of Onews and JYPs floating about. It’s only Onew that’s a teacher and JYP isn’t OTL. I’m so fail for not looking properly; I think I copy pasted the wrong file from my pc cause I found out that there were two files of my first chapter so that meant the not so edited one got published (bleh D:). Regardless, I just changed the JYPs to Onews and kept the rest of the first chapter the same. Also, I saw an L slip-up as well in the second chapter I think. I’ll only be calling him Myungsoo for this fic. Sorry for the errors guys. ._.

I hope you guys will enjoy reading this chapter. :)


It had been an hour since the key was released and the atmosphere already became gloomy. Everywhere was a battlefield with a chance of one falling into a trap at any possible second. Each move was detrimental and tactics were needed—whether the tactic was well planned or the tactic was to have no tactic at all. Everyone was basically a walking target.

Gripping tightly on the key she had obtained from a random classroom, CL stood hidden behind a wall, eyes set on her trap made of floss taped on the opposite sides of the hallway with a puddle of liquid foundation beneath it. She needed a partner and fast.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps—fast-paced ones. She assumed her position and just in time, popped out of her hiding place the moment she heard her prey slip and land on his . Without a moment to waste, she grabbed the collar of her victim and said, “You’re now my partner whether you like it or not.”

“That’s great!” Turns out, her prey was Dongwoo. He turned his head to face hers and smiled brightly. “I’ve been looking for you!”

“Oh, please no.” CL sighed and thought, why him of all people?

Regardless, she had no choice but to pair up with him for the night because before she could send him away, he already took her by the hand and ran to their new supposedly hiding place: their classroom. But when they got there, trouble awaited them. Hiding inside a closet, Hyuna, who by then had a different partner due to her boyfriend's abduction, was already prepared to become a decoy. As she saw them enter, she snuck out.

Puff!

Numerous chalk-filled chalkboard erasers were catapulted toward them.

“Drink this, tchyeah!”

Just in time, Dongwoo snagged a large water gun from his bag and fired it at Hyuna. The water shot up to her nose in which CL prepared to throw some baby powder at her face. Hyuna closed her eyes shut and cringed entirely, preparing to be plastered in powder.

Poof!

Hyuna opened her eyes to see a fading cloud of white dust surround her. In front of her stood her partner who abandoned his assigned task as the official stealer in order to save her and take the hit. He coughed and rubbed his eyes, annoyed that he couldn’t see or even move comfortably. The powder dug deep, even going inside his nose.

“Gyuzizi!” greeted Dongwoo, raising his hand for a high-five as he approached Sunggyu.

Sunggyu slapped his hand and pointed at the rapper’s stomach (he thought he was pointing at Dongwoo’s face) and nagged, “Don’t you high-five me when your partner just puffed—” Whenever he said a letter “p” sound, a smog of powder popped out of his mouth. The other three tried not to laugh but failed miserably. Upon hearing their snickers, Sunggyu yelled, “Shut up! I’m speaking!”

The puffing and laughing wouldn’t stop. Giving up, Sunggyu discretely ordered Hyuna to do a y pose; he whispered to her that the key was in Dongwoo’s bag—it was peeking out of the front pocket. She obliged and distracted Dongwoo who drooled over her curvaceous figure. An enraged CL then smacked her partner’s head then noticed something suspicious.

“Dongwoo!” yelled CL. “He’s searching your bag! Get him!”

And with just that, the competition was back on.

“Hey! Get back here!” Dongwoo scrambled toward Sunggyu who immediately stole the key and made a run for it.

“Hyuna, run!” Sunggyu commanded to his sudden partner, dashing at lightning speed in which CL proceeded to shower the floor with the load of marbles Dongwoo had in his bag for no particular reason. Hyuna then slipped and landed on her face; the rock hard marbles made her fall even worse. Sunggyu halted, shoved Dongwoo away and ran back to her but sadly, he had already been late. She was held captive.

“Surrender the key to us and she survives,” threatened CL.

“Tchyeah, what she said,” added Dongwoo.

Sunggyu looked at Hyuna from top to bottom—no wounds. But her face implied that she was feeling a lot of pain. Her legs trembled and her lips quivered; Sunggyu had to make a move ASAP.

Slowly, he released the key from his pocket and gave it to CL. She took a close look at it and let go of Hyuna only to be bitten by her.

“Agh!” CL groaned, dropping the key. It was all an act; Hyuna purposefully fell. She took the opportunity to grab her partner’s hand and made a run for it. They ran and ran ‘till Dongwoo’s hard panting and loud footsteps faded away. There was no looking back; it was just them and their mind-numbing adrenaline rush. Motto of the night: Just do it. Nike.

Finally out of harm, they took refuge in the girl’s bathroom and locked the door from the inside. There, they washed their faces and took a good rest—just chatting and whatnot. But then something unexpected had happened.

Hyuna’s eyes grew big as she let out a breathy shriek. “Oh!”

Sunggyu asked, “What’s wrong?”

Her face turned red. She swiftly hid in a cubicle and was completely panicking.

“Don’t tell me—“

“Exactly.”

Her body decided to paint the town red at that moment.

Sunggyu began to panic as well, shocked to have heard such news. Still, he was a man and as a man, he must get her a napkin. He composed himself and went to the vending machine; it was empty. That meant he had to go outside to the clinic to get one.

“Here, keep the key hidden with you. If possible, just let the toilet bowl… y’know, catch your blood.” That was awkward, but needed to be said. “Before I leave, I will lock the door. Do not open the door for anyone. I will knock four times, pause for one second, then knock twice again—that will be an indicator that it’s me, alright?”

“Alright,” she timidly replied, still embarrassed.

Out went Sunggyu, exposing himself to the battlefield. The clinic was in the same floor, but it was far off in the opposite corner—either a one minute walk or a fifteen second sprint. Running wasn’t an option though; traps could be easily overlooked if he rushed things.

The halls were quiet—but everyone knew that it was filled with hiding enemies ready to creep out at the right time. Walking on the halls was like playing Slender to Sunggyu: he could only walk slowly, but instead of pages, he had to retrieve something else. Luckily, he was able to reach the clinic and grab two. As he made his way back, he felt awkward to be publicly holding two napkins in his hand.

“Hold it right there!” said a person in a bad imitation of a police man’s voice as he covered Sunggyu’s mouth with a shirt from behind. The enemy’s partner then proceeded to do a security check on him—putting his hands on Sunggyu’s pockets, lifting his shirt—practically violating his personal space.

Irritated, Sunggyu exclaimed, “What the heck are you doing?!”

“Checking if you have the key,” replied Myungsoo.

“Sadly, I don’t. Tough luck. And can you get Myungsoo’s shirt out of my mouth,” he said with much disgust.

“No,” they replied then looked at each other momentarily and came up with a consensus when they nodded at the same time.

“Dude, loosen it up—let’s ask him some questions,” ordered Sungyeol.

His head close to his victim’s, Sungyeol yelled at his face with a side of spitting. “I saw you take the key from Dongwoo’s bag.” He grabbed his collar. “Where is it?”

“Its…”

“Useless,” interrupted Sungyeol.

Myungsoo wrapped his shirt around their prisoner’s hands tightly and said, “Let’s take our bait.”

Before Sunggyu knew it, he was being dragged away. The two had known all along; they just wanted to get the feel of acting like those cops in movies.

---

Back in the bathroom, Hyuna was still inside the cubicle waiting for Sunggyu. Her heart was pounding fast. She knew that she was well-protected in that locked bathroom, but the entire school had suddenly transformed into a vicious battlefield. Feeling safe suddenly became a foreign emotion.

She heard four consecutive knocks on the door, then another three. It was an intruder.

“Open up,” Sungyeol sternly said. “We know you’re in there.”

She didn’t respond so Sungyeol turned to the security guard and politely asked, “Sir, could you please unlock the door?”

The guard nodded, did so, and left. As he walked away, the two waved and thanked him. While it was hard to see, Sungyeol's keen eyesight and determination led him to detect the small piece of red tape on the guard’s fingernail. He is indeed in it to win it.

Upon hearing the knob stir and rattle, she hid the key in her pocket and lifted her feet high enough to be concealed. The lock was picked and the door flung open. Sungyeol and Myungsoo began to scour the room, checking every nook and cranny. But something seemed odd to her; it should only be Sungyeol and Myungsoo moving around.

Why can I hear a third person’s footsteps?

“Hyuna.”

BANG! 

Myungsoo blew a loud strike at the door of Hyuna’s cubicle. Her eyes grew big in fear.

“First, we captured your precious boyfriend and made him quit by stealing all his stuff,” he continued, his voice like a secret agent’s. “And now, we have your other companion, Sunggyu. You escaped once, but you can never escape twice from us.”

Silence.

“We know you’re there,” added Sungyeol. The sound of someone being hit continuously and groaning followed. She held her breath, trying not to make any noise. “And we know that you wouldn’t want to lose another person, am I right?”

“Hyuna. This is easy. Give us the key, we’ll let him go then you can address your womanly discomforts,” pressed Myungsoo. The sound of his voice was boggling enough. “Give us the key. Now.”

In that dark bathroom, she couldn’t think of what to do; she had been compromised. That was that; there was no way out—it was best to surrender the key and save both of their lives. Clutching onto the key, she bit her lip and threw it to the other side.

“Thanks and by the way, we’re not so heartless to hit him like that y’know. It was just us hitting the walls and making Sunggyu-like groans and such. See you guys later and have a nice time being losers.” The two left, slamming the door playfully as they did so. The remaining two inside just sighed heavily.

Hyuna came rushing out the cubicle and removed the pieces of cloth from Sunggyu’s hands, mouth and feet.

“Hey, I’m sorry,” she said. “I really thought they were…”

“There’s nothing to be sorry about.” Her being concerned for him was already heart-warming enough. “You did well. What’s more important right now are your needs.”

“Thanks for everything, Sunggyu.” She smiled and gave him a warm hug. At the time, he couldn’t fathom what he was feeling throughout his body; he felt weakened with a powerful shot of adrenaline ringing all throughout his system, and when she let go, the sweet feeling remained.

Who cares about the key; that was all he ever wanted.

Definitely, he thought. Definitely.

---

In a random classroom, Sungyeol was wagging the key in front of his face, smirking.

“We’re awesome, y’know that?” he said.

“Damn right we are,” replied Myungsoo.

Yes, those two were really proud of their current standing in the game, but little did they know that just outside their headquarters, a group of three stuck their ears close to the door, eavesdropping and getting ready to make their move.

Switching the view back to the two who arrogantly lazed around, the sound of shuffling feet was heard and immediately they were alerted. A teddy bear rolled in from the entrance accompanied by the swift opening and closing of the door, making way for the three to get inside.

“What the—“

Poof!

Sungyeol had barely spoken a sentence when a thick layer of baby powder was smacked toward his face. CL appeared before him and stole the key that stuck out loosely in his pocket. It all happened within a matter of seconds.

“Gotcha,” she declared, keeping the key in her hand while Dongwoo tied them both to a chair with duct tape.

CL noticed something. Their third person was missing. “Where’s Sungjong?”

Before they could move their heads to look, two hands filled with chocolate syrup were slapped against their eyes from behind. Their left and right hands were then tied together. The betrayer got their key and all of their other things, leaving them with nothing but the company of Sungyeol and Myungsoo.

“,” she cussed under her breath as she wiped away more of the chocolate syrup.

Dongwoo tried to comfort her but it was useless. She told him to scram (in which he couldn’t) then stormed off the room with him leaving behind the other tied up couple alone.

---

Now having the key and CL’s and Dongwoo’s bags in possession, Sungjong locked himself in the men’s restroom and started to work on his get up as a bloody creeper. He started by coating his entire body with the leftover powder from Dongwoo’s bag. He then got some red lipstick from CL’s bag and rubbed it across his face and clothes to make it somewhat look like blood. To finish the look, he wore CL’s silver contact lenses. His love for watching horror movies was had finally paid off.

Just as he was done becoming a scary human being, the PA system had the PE teacher’s low voice droning in again.

“After much discussion, we have decided to tell you a detrimental fact in this game to make things more interesting. From the very start, only one person had the real key; that very same person created a fake one that’s identical to the original. In short, the key that was being passed around was a phony duplicate. You all have half an hour left to find that impostor. Good luck.”

The very moment the PA clicked off, the entire building was at an uproar; the students’ screams could be heard from everywhere. The search was on and the fight became even more intense. Putting his game face on, Sungjong threw the fake key to the trash bin and trudged out to find that one person.

---

Yura. The impostor, the pacifist who only stayed in one particular spot in the corner of the cafeteria, was the sole owner of the key for the last four and a half hours. She had found it behind a couple of books in the library while looking for a good read. Knowing that she would be hunted down, she specifically handcrafted a new key and surrendered it to the first person she encountered (who, by the way, was CL) and stated that she quit. Through that, no one dared to waste their time scanning her—not even Myungsoo and Sungyeol who just simply called her up for an invite to be in their team. Of course, she rejected it firstly because they were guys, and secondly because she’d be found out if she did so.

So what if the PA ratted me out? Yura thought. At least I still have my anonymity.

Or so she thought.

Around twenty minutes later, she heard a low, gloomy cacophony of groans and airy cackling—a laugh befitting a morbid creature. Heavy footsteps accompanied it, getting closer and closer. She only had one place to hide—inside the chalk cabinet. She quickly gathered her things and squeezed herself inside the darkness, shutting the door—having barely any space to move. It was getting close to five; if she could stall just for at least five minutes, she will win the game.

Just a tad bit more, she whispered.

Brightness returned to her senses, but it didn’t signify hope—she was met with the scariest creature she’d ever seen. Glowing silver eyes, bloody clothes, and skin so white that it made her shudder at first glance.

The monster knelt down and slithered his face toward hers and stopping only just when their noses were a mere two and a half inches apart. Eyes locked on hers and opening his lips just enough to part with an airy tone, he huskily whispered, “Give me the key.”

Yura held onto the key with all her might in the verge of tears. She shook her head, trembling. Another thing she couldn’t stand aside from men was horror.

The monster extended his bloody hand, squeezed her shoulder tight and demanded in a very aggressive tone, “Give it to me. Now!”

Without a word, she shoved the key at the monster’s face and pushed him away to collide with the desk just a meter away. The monster groaned in pain as the PA system rang a few times. The game was over.

For the third and last time, the low voice droned, “Winner: Lee Sungjong.”

Just like that, the game ended. The losers lowered their heads in defeat; the winner panted in relief—but the feeling was bittersweet for the girl in front of him was still trembling, all curled up and traumatized.


Thank you for reading~! :D