Sleeping Beauty

Hearts That Beat Anew

In a venue filled with students and teachers waiting for the production to start, Yura popped her head out of the side of the stage to check on the atmosphere. So far it was pretty fine; the people were calmly chatting away in their seats. But behind the curtains everything was busy, busy, busy. Things were being flung around; the floor was filled with bobby pins, glitter, and even makeup sponges. Everyone was trying to outtalk the roaring hair dryers as the stylists made their final touch ups on the actors. They were so pressed for time that CL had to do her own makeup.

“Someone, help!”

As Yura was passing by a random dressing stall, she heard Sungjong’s voice.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“I need someone to zip this dress up for me,” he said.

“I can’t do that—“

Too late. Someone in a rush accidentally pushed her into the stall causing her face to land onto Sungjong’s . Unintentionally embracing him, her cheeks flushed red. His did too.

“Y-Yura, please let go,” he said shyly.

Since she was already there anyway, she composed herself and pulled the zipper up quickly. It was a good thing it wasn’t low enough that she could see something inappropriate. Regardless, she just couldn’t get the feel of his skin against her face off her mind.

“Ten minutes!” yelled one of their classmates.

“!” Yura hissed then asked, “Did you get your makeup done?”

“No—“

She shoved him out of the stall then told CL to do his makeup as fast and as neatly as she could then left to double check everything including the state of her high-maintenance fairies.

“Fairies, are you set?”

“Yeah,” replied Sunggyu in a calm pose, leaning against the wall. As for Dongwoo and Sungyeol, well, they were living up to their retardedness. Dongwoo was putting his hands on his hips ily, trying to copy CL whereas Sungyeol was poking Myungsoo’s hair with his wand.

“I’m ready,” said Sungyeol as he poked and poked.

“Tchyeah, leggo,” said Dongwoo, still doing his greasy CL impersonation.

She glanced back and saw that Sungjong was done with his makeup so she called everyone over for a group huddle.

“Thank you once again for working so hard to get this done. Today, we’ll show what we’re truly capable of doing. Let’s make Onew proud, yeah?”

They put their fists up in the air and all cheered, “Yeah!”

Soon, the lights dimmed in the venue to make way for the stage to light up.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! IT HUURTS!” screamed the queen in pain, startling the audience completely.

The spotlight was focused center stage where the queen was giving birth to the princess. Some of the people in the audience couldn’t hold their laughter in upon recognizing that it was Sungjong up there pretending to be in labor. Jinyoung and the doctor as well as the irrelevantly present servants were there chanting, “Push! Push! Push!”

Cue Sistar’s “Push Push” to commence a five-second dance break. The actors, including the queen, moved along to the choreography comedically using exaggerated movements. It almost came to a point where Sungjong almost fell off the bed but luckily Jinyoung was able to discreetly balance him out.

Immediately returning to the scene as if nothing had happened, the queen kept screaming and whining. As the doctor and Jinyoung stuck their heads under the sheets, the crowd gasped and laughed so hard that whatever the actors were saying couldn’t be heard anymore. It just carried on up until where the king deemed the doctor useless and stated that he wanted to pull the baby out himself. After shoving the doctor out of the way, he pulled the Baby Alive out of his queen and lifted it into the air. Sad to say for him, Sungyeol wanted to do a repeat of his prank. Once the pee had been splattered, the actors suddenly froze then took fast baby steps to the side as the lights dimmed. That abrupt scene change was done on purpose.

Backstage, the pee was removed off Jinyoung while the prod crew positioned the castle props and backdrop. Yura didn’t reprimand Sungyeol. She was actually glad that it happened.

When the lights went up again, the king and queen stood side by side. Beside them, the Baby Alive was laid in the cradle. The three fairies entered wearing the same clothes they wore during their audition: black studded leather jackets and black jeans with their respective contrasting fairy wings. The colors were the same: Sungyeol’s was green, Dongwoo’s was blue, and with Sunggyu taking Myungsoo’s place, his was red.

“We have come to—“ Sungyeol looked at the obvious cheat sheet in his hand then continued, “give our gifts to the baby.”

Yura did a face palm.

The three then flapped their arms as they made their way toward the king and queen.

“Please do bestow your gifts upon our child,” said the queen quite elegantly.

“Yes, please do,” added Jinyoung. He then unsheathed his sword and pointed it at Yeol Fairy’s Adam’s apple. “But if you screw up and give her something crappy, I’ll be sure to slit your throat.”

“Y-Yes,” replied Yeol Fairy. “We will give her only the best and most useful gifts, rest assured.”

“Good.” The king unsheathed his sword and went back to his spot beside the queen.

Yeol Fairy walked up to the baby and gave her first gift. He swirled his wand around while someone offstage was throwing glitter everywhere. “I give this baby the gift of beauty—“

“Are you implying that our baby is ugly?” questioned Jinyoung then gestured his hand to present his wife from head to toe. “Can’t you see that my wife is y, free, but not single?!”

Cue a Super Junior’s “y, Free, and Single” solo dance break by Woo Fairy while the rest froze in place.

Once he finished dancing, Woo Fairy returned to his position then the scene continued.

“I know your wife is y, free, but not single,” reasoned Yeol Fairy.

“So are you questioning my good looks, then?” asked the king then he turned to the crowd. “I am good-looking, right?”

All the girls responded, “Right!”

The king arrogantly stood upright. “Your argument is invalid, delusional green fairy.”

Yeol Fairy shook his head. “Don’t get me wrong; I am not questioning your looks either, but don’t you want your child to look even more beautiful? Even fairer than the fairest? Prettier than Snow White?”

The king rubbed his fingers across his chin. “You do have a point. Very well, I thank you!”

As Yeol Fairy went back to his place relieved, Gyu Fairy stepped forward and easily granted the princess the gift of song. But just as Woo Fairy was about to take his turn, a cloud of green smoke appeared.

The crew hiding in the side of the stage fanned out green powder as the villain entered the stage, both hands on her waist in all the chic iness that an evil charismatic antagonist can exude. Thinking back to it, Dongwoo’s impersonation earlier was quite spot-on.

“Magnificent!”

The three fairies regretted screaming her name out like that.

Magnificent whisked her hand in the air and cackled devilishly. “I see the princess is asleep.”

Without a moment to waste, she approached the cradle and smirked. Another set of dust clouds appeared. “I shall put a curse upon this princess,” she said. “When the sun sets on her 16th birthday, she will die by eating ice cream.”

The queen shrieked. The place was surged in a gust of wind while Magnificent was waving her wand in circles until the curse had been casted on the princess.

“I’m really the best,” praised Magnificent to herself as she disappeared. Actually, disappearing was just her two prod crew henchmen covering her with a black cloak as they exited the stage.

Without a moment to waste, the third fairy went near the cradle and cautioned the king before any questions were to be raised. “I apologize, my king. But my power is not strong enough to nullify this curse; I can only lessen its punishment. You see, I barely passed my training back in the fairy academy so…”

“Stupid!” lashed the king. “Can’t you three combine your powers or something?”

Gyu Fairy coolly posed with one hand in his pocket while the other was twirling his wand around. “Sorry man. We have a limit of one wish per day; our wands are drained out.”

The king and queen did facepalms.

“Fine. Let the stupid fairy lessen the curse; better than nothing,” said the king.

Woo Fairy tightly gripped his wand with both hands and maximized his concentration level, wrinkling his brows and clenching his teeth. “Once the princess eats an ice cream, she will not die but go into a deep sleep and can only be awakened by a really handsome prince.”

“THAT’S STUPID!” yelled the king in distress.

Woo Fairy shriveled up. “Why so, my king?”

“We don’t have any handsome princes around here! I was the only handsome prince!”

“That’s just your narcissistic self,” commented Gyu Fairy blankly.

“Fine, whatever. I will make do with what you have given me. But this curse is quite powerful and I have something to ask of you. Please take care of my daughter; I want to isolate her from ice cream and know that she is hidden safe in your hands.”

Gyu Fairy raised a brow and crossed his arms. “What’s in it for us?”

“Free home service. My butlers will discretely deliver the finest cuisine from the castle to your place. Anytime, any day.”

“Including holidays?” asked the three with their mouths watering.

“Yes. Including holidays.”

“Deal.” The three grabbed the baby from its cradle and carried it to the door. “Toodles,” they said and “flew” away. Shortly afterwards, the king and queen left the stage to be replaced by the prod crew members who changed the set into the forest scene. While doing so, Yura narrated what happened to the kingdom afterward.

“The king was so desperate in trying to protect his own daughter that he banned all production of ice cream, even if it was their main produce. Many vendors lost their livelihood and their tourism dropped down since they had to take down their ice cream-themed theme park so the place became dead broke.”

When the lights went back up, romantic classical music was being played and upon the appearance of the prince and grown princess, the whole room went on fire. Ovaries were exploding and manly cheers were raging. The reaction was so expected that they assigned a classmate to hold up a board that said, “Silence, peoples.”

The two entered in the opposite sides of the stage. The princess was humming cheerfully while Myungsoo was… well… walking around being hot. Eventually through all that humming and effortless walking, they bumped into each other. The princess clutched onto her dress bashfully, shyly turning away from him while the prince kept going for it in a gentle yet captivating way. With a smile, he took her by the hand and greeted her.

“Good morning,” he said.

Backstage, Sungyeol and Sunggyu were heavily bothered.

“Good morning,” she responded.

The prince sat beside her and caught the Polaroid camera that was thrown at him from the side of the stage. “Can we have a selca?”

She nodded, leaned closer to him, and did a peace sign while he simply did his award-winning handsome smile. Afterwards, he satisfyingly looked at the picture, stood up and waved goodbye to her. Well, that was very fast.

“I must go, but I know I will meet you again.”

With that, the prince exited the stage. The princess went back to her house and talked to the three fairies about her newfound love.

“He’s the most handsome guy I’ve ever seen,” she said, twirling around in delight.

“But Hyuna, you can’t just marry any guy you meet in the woods,” reasoned Gyu Fairy. “For all you know he could be a molester. You have to marry the prince.”

Woo Fairy then continued, “You’re in the age where you’re gonna go back to the kingdom and meet your parents.”

“And marry Prince Myungsoo as well,” added Yeol Fairy.

“I object!” yelled Princess Hyuna. “I don’t care if I’m the princess! I like that guy.”

The fairies reached out to comfort her. “But—“

“No! I like him and only him and he is definitely not a molester!” exclaimed the princess as she left the scene.

The prod crew came in and set the castle scene with the same castle backdrop and everything. The stage lit up once again to show Prince Myungsoo and his parents who were exactly the same people who portrayed Princess Hyuna’s parents except now, the king had a mustache and the queen had a different wig on.

“She’s the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen,” the prince said with utmost passion. “I wish to be with her, father.”

The king, now speaking in a forced lower tone, said, “Do you have a picture?”

The prince handed the picture of their selca over to him.

“Damn, she’s hot.”

The queen slapped the king’s shoulder.

“But of course! My eyes are only on my queen; no one else,” assured the king, uncomfortably hugging his queen. That was an uncomfortable ad-lib. Yura was amused.

“Is she worth fighting for?” asked the queen.

Cue a few seconds of “A Girl Worth Fighting For” from the Mulan soundtrack.

“Definitely, she is.”

“Whatever, you are set to marry the Princess. You cannot be with this girl.”

“I don’t care! She’s pretty! She’s mine, she’s mine, she’s mine!” The prince immaturely stuck his tongue out and left the scene stomping like a big baby.

The king slumped onto his chair and sighed. “Oh, kids these days…”

Scene change to the princess’s house.

The princess was sleeping soundly when suddenly, a paper rock was thrown at her face from stage right. She got up and saw a picture of a delectable-looking ice cream. Beside it was a post-it that read, “Free ice cream this way.” Below that line was an arrow pointing to the exit of her house. Not knowing what an ice cream was, the princess kept following the signs and eventually drifted into the woods toward a creepy tower.

The fairies, who just came home from their shopping spree after buying multiple pairs of the same style of ripped jeans, noticed the princess walking in a semi-trance from afar. Upon seeing the post-its, they hurriedly chased after her but by the time they caught up, it was too late. Hyuna was dead asleep on the floor. A cone of strawberry ice cream melted into a sticky puddle on her hand.

“Damn it!” raged Gyu Fairy, the floor.

“This ,” commented Yeol Fairy.

“Hahahahaha!”

“Magnificent!” Woo Fairy yelled with a belated feeling of regret once again.

Following her loud cackle, Magnificent appeared before them. “You’re too late, ers.”

“You witch!” shouted Yeol Fairy.

“You’ll never be able to wake her up. Never!”

After that, she disappeared in the same manner using a black cloth and two prod crew henchmen.

Distressed and depressed, the fairies took the princess to the tower and put the entire kingdom to sleep.

Scene change to the fairies’ house in the woods.

The prince made his entrance riding (holding) his cardboard horse. He then gleefully knocked on the door and left his steed outside.

“Please, go inside,” said a husky, seductive voice.

The prince opened the door only to be attacked by Magnificent’s minions. He was all covered in ropes and a cute face mask was wrapped around his mouth. That was the spawn of a low production cost.

Magnificent his cheek and said, “Well, well, well. Handsome Prince Myungsoo came to visit the love of his life. Sadly, you’ll never see her again.” She gestured for her minions to take him away. “Lock him up in the dungeons.”

As they walked across the stage, the house was taken away, immediately replaced by the dungeon props and background. The prince was then shackled and chained to a wall.

“Looks like you’re not getting your happily ever after.” Magnificent grabbed hold of the prince’s head and yanked it upward. “Looking good is one thing, but having the skill to wield the sword is another.”

The prince struggled to get free, but he knew it was useless. His mouth was covered and he was practically trapped.

“See ya later, loser.”

Magnificent left the stage cackling with a couple of green smoke and her usual henchmen to accompany her along the way.

Cue the spy music.

The fairies entered the dungeon cautiously, wearing glasses and uselessly bumping into each other as they flapped their way to the prince.

“We are the three guardian fairies of the princess and we’re here to bust you out,” said Gyu Fairy as he magically freed the prince.

“So, what would you like us to give you so you can defeat Magnificent?” asked the other two fairies. “Sorry, we’ve always been ridiculed for our wish limits so please bear with us.”

The prince spared no time and asked for a mighty sword and an unbreakable shield. The two fairies gave him what he wanted and they easily left the premises with the prince’s horse despite having countless minions trying to stop them. The success of the escape was all thanks to Magnificent’s insult earlier on. While the prince was a tongue-sticking baby, test his manliness and all hell breaks loose.

Magnificent entered and upon realizing that the prince had escaped and was making his way toward the princess, she summoned thorns across the outside of the tower. Still, the prince was charging his way through the prickly things.

Enraged, Malificent let out a loud yell and was suddenly covered in black cloth. In exchange, a cardboard dragon had taken her place when the sheet went down.

“Bring it,” said the prince in his fighting stance.

The dragon kept breathing out confetti that the prince dodged with all his might. He fell once, he fell twice, but he kept dodging and dodging. But when he was already on the edge of a cliff, he gathered all his adrenaline and sliced the dragon’s head off.

The prod crew died a little; they worked so hard on that dragon.

Scene change to the princess in the tower.

The princess was on the bed sound asleep, hands clasped just above her belly. The prince approached her, adoring her majestic beauty with a sincere smile. All his hard work was about to pay of with a kiss from the love of his life. He sat on the bed and slowly leaned in for a kiss until…

“Hold it right there!”

Enter Sunggyu holding a really big and powerful water gun while Sungyeol did a sneak attack and wrapped his arm around Myungsoo’s neck from behind. Yura was dumbfounded; it wasn’t part of the script. Still, she let it be seeing that it was getting interesting anyway.

Sungyeol raised a sharpie toward the prince’s face and threatened, “Leave Hyuna or have your face drawn on with marker. And you know my craft very well, mind you.”

“Not if I can help it.”

Out came Dongwoo from under the princess’s bed and pressed a cup of hot coffee against Yeol Fairy’s neck to somewhat calm him down. The prince took the opportunity to set himself free and sat on the bed, positioning himself for the kiss scene only to have a gun pressed against his cheek by the princess.

“Wait, what’s happening?” asked Gyu Fairy, utterly puzzled.

Dongwoo and Hyuna gave cocky smirks and explained themselves.

“First of all, I’m your roommate and co-fairy,” Dongwoo reasoned. “You think I was just sleeping last night? Hell no! I was listening to your plan from back to cover.”

Hyuna then added, “So Dongwoo and I had a decent chat before the performance and coordinated with a few of the prod crew members. Our mission isn’t to restore the play’s balance but rather to have you guys get your first kiss decently. Seriously, you’ve been stalling it for so long!” The impatient look on her face just showed how long she had been waiting for that moment. “Also, since Sunggyu and you despise the scene so much, why not just create a reversal where everyone’s happy, right?”

“So, what now?” asked Gyu Fairy.

Hyuna smiled widely. “Dongwoo will exit with his trademark, ‘tchyeah!’ on the left and we will make an awesome improvised exit to the right.”

“What awesome improvised—“

“Tchyeah!”

“Gyu, catch me!”

“What the—“

“Weee!”

Before Gyu Fairy could even ask, Dongwoo handed the cup of coffee to Sungyeol and made his designated exit. Hyuna on the other hand just charged at him and jumped into his arms. He exited stage while spinning Hyuna around, leaving the two to have their moment to talk on stage. There were no sound effects, no background music, nor was there any special colored lighting. It was just the two raw personalities amidst the princess’s tower set.

Sungyeol sat on the pink bed and sipped his coffee, beginning to show some shyness. Myungsoo walked around in an uneven pace, at a loss for words. The crowd was silently holding the butterflies in their stomachs.

Sungyeol was the first to speak. “You must think I’m stupid now, yeah?” 

Myungsoo scoffed. “No, it’s not that. It was more of pathetic, really. I didn’t know you’d go that far; it’s just acting, man.”

A surge of anger instantly hit Sungyeol following that statement. He slammed the half emptied cup to the floor. Hot coffee splattered against his feet, but he didn’t care. Intensely glaring at him, he approached his boyfriend and jammed his arms down Myungsoo’s shoulders.

“I know it’s just acting but it pissed me off, okay? It would’ve been fine if we had our first kiss long, long ago but no!” Sungyeol tightened his squeeze, slightly shaking Myungsoo in the process. “Whenever I try to bust a move, you always make petty excuses. Believe me; I’ve tried so many times… I’ve been discouraged many times, Myungsoo.”

His boyfriend couldn’t say anything in his defense; there was nothing to counter his arguments—nothing to deny. He was dead guilty.

“The more you kept evading it, the more I lost confidence as your better half. Believe me or not but everyday, you leave me hanging with the fear of losing you.” Almost in the verge of tears, Sungyeol locked his eyes to his and continued, “I can’t lose you—I can’t imagine my life without that guy who could barely wake up in the morning. I can’t imagine my life without that one person who keeps nagging me to wash my share of the laundry and that one person that makes skinship feel more sincere than forced. I know that I’m being all dramatic now but I just want you to know how I feel. I want you to know… that I love you. Like, a lot.”

Also having tears welling up in his eyes, Myungsoo replied, “You never needed to be so scared, man. I cherish you and your shenanigans. Really. I’m sorry—I really am. Truth be told, I was a coward. To me, getting a first kiss meant being able to man up more—to become responsible for our relationship. I didn’t want to disappoint you by not being able to be that perfect person.”

“Dude, I know you’re very loud when you sleep, that you’re really obsessed with black clothes and could not be convinced to wear more colorful clothes… even if you look so awesome in the red jacket I bought you, just saying. And I know that you keep nagging me to take care of my image blah, blah, blah but you’re like that and I like you like that. So please, don’t resist my beautiful lips when I make a move, okay?”

“Why not do it here, right now?” suggested Myungsoo. “That’s what they wanted anyway.”

“Really? Game?”

“Definitely.”

The crowd was fixated at their intense moment. The two wrapped their arms around each other, slowly closed their eyes. Their heads moved closer to each other, smiling first halfway then ended it with a soft, tender kiss. When they pulled away, both were smiling widely as they whispered to each other’s ears, “I love you, man.”

The audience gave a huge applause for the sincere performance of the two in which the rest of the cast and crew came out to join them and gave one final bow. Truly, it was a meaningful performance for them all. Seeing all those clapping hands made the past three days of -busting all worth it. When the applause gradually simmered down and the venue had been emptied, they all left that stage feeling great sense of accomplishment. The play had taken a different course, but nevertheless left all of the people who poured out their blood, sweat, and tears to be proud of themselves.


The play is not as accurately the same as the actual Disney movie since it’s a parody. It was quite hard to write tbh cause I had to bust my brain just to think of how it would end and stuff. But yeah, Myungyeol moment over thurrrr @w@~~! And yes, this chapter’s a looooot longer than usual xD. Are your eyes are still alive? Lol.~

Thank you for reading and I hope you guys enjoyed it~! :D