The Chasers: Part 1

Hearts That Beat Anew

“Wake up! Wake up!” yelled Onew accompanied by his fellow teachers who flung the doors open and sprayed water at the students’ sleeping faces.

“What the hell!” Angered, CL threw a pillow right at Onew’s face while her other two roommates groaned and whined. “Let me sleep. I don’t give a about whatever this all about.”

Unable to waste any more time, Onew pointed to the stampeding students outside their door and explained, “This is a graded spontaneous challenge. Get everything you find useful within fifteen seconds then rush to the assembly hall pronto!”

The three girls were in a total mess scrambling their hands around the place, checking every possible nook and cranny for their valuables. Once done, they quickly trudged downstairs with bare faces, uncoordinated pajamas, and frizzy hair. The guys were pretty much the same. In fact, Sungyeol was completely shirtless and Myungsoo couldn’t help but be embarrassed, but at the same time secretly enjoyed the view.

Onew stepped up to the stand and explained the challenge’s motives, “You all may be wondering why we went on a total rampage and woke you guys up in the middle of the night and made you gather here in all your ugliness—except for a selected few that look stunningly good with their bed heads. We would like to have some fun around here to kick start the new school year with a game that’ll, well, honestly turn you into savages for the night. You are to find a golden key that is hidden within the school to win a special prize which is two days of exemption—that means you can be absent for two days without having to do any of the homework or quizzes of that day. You will be marked with a perfect score with whatever you will miss. This prize can be used anytime within this school year.”

The teacher stopped talking and made way for the students who cheered enthusiastically because of the huge prize.

He then continued, “The key will still be released at 1 AM so you have roughly 45 minutes to scour the place for more necessary materials and form possible alliances. Only school property that is marked with a red tape can be used and absolutely no brutality meaning once blood is shed or a bruise appears, the person responsible will be disqualified and will receive reasonable punishment. Now here’s the thing—whoever finds the key first isn’t important, but whoever is holding the key when the clock strikes 5 AM, that person and his group—if he or she has one, will have that special privilege so choose your route wisely. As for the losers, they will clean up the mess created for the whole day. I wish you all good luck. Disperse.”

And disperse they did. The assembly hall had emptied in a matter of seconds.

---

Uninterested, Myungsoo and Dongwoo decided to go back to sleep inside the library ‘till the game was over but it wasn’t before long that Sunggyu and Sungyeol came along to wake them up.

“Hey Myung,” whispered Sungyeol to his boyfriend’s ear who didn’t even budge.

“Oh, Yeol…” Myungsoo sleep-talked as he tossed around. “Let me touch your hair.”

As amused as he was, Sungyeol yanked the chic guitarist’s bed head upward and yelled, “Wake up, we have to win!”

Myungsoo woke up calmly, yawning casually as if he had just been awakened pleasantly.

“He’s not waking up,” said Sunggyu as he mercilessly kicked Dongwoo’s body that pretty much resembled a dead corpse.

“Let’s just leave him there,” Sungyeol decided. The rest shrugged, followed suit and walked away leaving the drooling Dongwoo to sleep all by himself in the company of his banana pillow. Yes, to him, it was something useful.

The three hid under the sinks in the bathroom and planned their agenda for the night.

“First, we need to know what we can make do of,” said Sungyeol. “I have my drumsticks. How ‘bout you guys?”

“I have my guitar, my camera, and my bamboo pillow,” said Myungsoo.

“I have nothing,” admitted Sunggyu smugly.

“Nothing? Seriously?” asked Sungyeol, his eyes wide.

“Yeah,” replied Sunggyu.

“Get out. You’re useless.”

“How ‘bout you? All you have are drumsticks!” the vocalist argued. “This isn’t fair.”

“It’s the survival of the fittest, Gyu. Now get out or we’ll have to spread your crush on Hyuna to the entire school,” Sungyeol threatened.

“Fine. Who needs team mates anyway,” snorted Sunggyu as he made his exit. From then on he realized that it was every man for himself; trust no one—betray all.

The two who remained in the bathroom plotted the rest of the night. After a few minutes of talking, they moved to the faculty room. There, they secretly stole Onew’s phone, searched through the files and found the number of the only person they know who brought a phone along: Yura.

“Hey, this is Sungyeol. We want you in our team—we’re considering adding a new member that could be useful—“

“No,” she bluntly answered and hung up.

Upon discovering that the phone had Skype in it, they decided to video call the person who brought an iPad.

“Yo, Sungjong.” greeted Sungyeol. “Be on our team; we want music for the night.”

“No way. You guys can get really condescending and I am not taking that risk.”

“Hey!—“

With that, Sungjong abruptly ended the video call and went offline, leaving the couple to fend for themselves.

---

CL stayed hidden inside a cubicle of the girl’s bathroom applying makeup, reasoning to herself that in every occasion, she must look good. She only had her shades and makeup bag. Initially, Hyuna had been with her until her boyfriend, Hyunseung, came along to snatch her away. CL was still a bit of a sourpuss from being left alone, but she had to let it go and think of another tactic.

“This game’s ty,” she hissed as she sprayed some perfume on her wrists and rubbed them against her neck. But the prize was enough to motivate her.

Wearing her fuzzy panda slippers and mismatched clothing, she stood up and opened the cubicle door, prepared for battle. As she did so, the clock struck one and the extremely low voice of their PE teacher, Yongguk, droned across the entire campus through the PA system.

“The key has been released,” he said. “Let the game begin.”


So this chapter's A LOT shorter than the first one but yeah, the game's just about to start bwahaha! :))

Thank you for reading and I hope you guys enjoyed it~! :D